Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 03-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #16
Refefer
Regular User

I want to see a price figure on the cobra. I did some browsing, and CNN made a potshot at being a llittle over 35k http://money.cnn.com/popups/2005/aut...1.exclude.html

WHICH of makes it a hellllll of a lot cheaper than a z06 with not much difference in power. While there is no doubt in my mind that on a track both stock vette (though I think it'll be very very close) and z06 will murder this mustang (those vettes can turn), it's gonna give them both a run for their money in a straight line, outright killing the stock vette.... and when we American's see that a 40k Mustang almost beat a 70k z06....

I think the new shelby is def looking at stealing z06 fandom and vette owners are going to be turning in their graves.

Then of course we got prestige... You can't be a a muscle car lover and not love Shelby. I don't think there is a car enthusiast out there that doesn't know and respect Shelby.... they're so damned perty....

One other thing, when does 450 BHP make a "Wimpy" car?!? Who cares if it's supercharged only up until that point? 450 BHP for 40k! Haha, how spoiled are we?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
T-Bird
Regular User

The thing is I doubt Shelby would put his name on a car that can't turn worth shit. He can make crappy cars turn very well.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:40 AM   #18
nurbrun
Regular User

i like it!!! But 450 Horsepower stock is a little lame. its still good but it would be cooler if it had a litte more like 500 or 550. Thank god they took out those fog lights.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:25 AM   #19
graywolf624
Regular User

as ive said all along, this car will be close to a stock Z06 in a straight line. i will still back that up. 450hp is severely underrating this car
Dream the hell on. Theyll be lucky if the car doesnt outweigh that last generation zo6 by some 600 lbs. That more then makes up for its hsp advantage.

What does it say when your competitors have to compete with your last generation model?

In the past, the last SVT Cobra (stock) was somewhat competative to the stock Z06
Gotta disagree with that too. The stock svt cobra was somewhere near a second slower in the quarter mile in 2003 then the stock z06 (thats not anything like competitive). I wont even do the corvette the dissastisfaction of discusing the twisties.
source motor trend
convertibles
1/4
2003 svt cobra-13.12 @ 109.58
2003 corvette(non zo6)-13.02 @ 109.59

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...et/index3.html

1/4
2003 corvette non zo6 non ragtop 13.1 sec @ 111 mph
2003 svt cobra- 12.9-second at 111

source road and track.

So lets see.. competitive numbers between both the base corvette and cobra in the 1/4. What do you think that meant for the zo6 that packed a decent hsp jump?
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Quote:
as ive said all along, this car will be close to a stock Z06 in a straight line. i will still back that up. 450hp is severely underrating this car

Dream the hell on. Theyll be lucky if the car doesnt outweigh that last generation zo6 by some 600 lbs. That more then makes up for its hsp advantage.

What does it say when your competitors have to compete with your last generation model?

Quote:
In the past, the last SVT Cobra (stock) was somewhat competative to the stock Z06

Gotta disagree with that too. The stock svt cobra was somewhere near a second slower in the quarter mile in 2003 then the stock z06 (thats not anything like competitive). Hell it wasn't even as fast as the standard corvette in a straight line.. I wont even do the corvette the dissastisfaction of discusing the twisties.
source motor trend
1/4
first, im going to think that you meant 12.02 vs 13.12

gray, as always...youre posts always intruige me, and move me to understand what you said

i dont actually have any recent data regarding the new cobra. but... close... im not sure what you interperet my saying 'close'

the previous gen. mustang vs. Z06
they are close.... smaller tires/ more wieght, similar hp

... and i foresee a widening margin myself... but again, it also deals with 'bang for the buck' where a few aftermarket parts yield great gains for the mustang that cannot be seen in the Vette' per dollar. (corners absolved of influence)

i will never say the stang' is a better car then the Z06, as it is not the case
Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 AM   #21
graywolf624
Regular User

first, im going to think that you meant 12.02 vs 13.12
Nah, Im comparing the baseline vette to the svt cobra.. a much more comparable setup. the svt wasnt even close to the z06, which was what I meant to show.

I guess your definition of close matches my not anywhere near. Since 1 second in drag racing time is an eternity. Hell, in that relative a zo6 is close to a ferrari enzo 11.3 from 12.2 if you consider a svt cobra 12.9 close to a corvette 12.2.

but again, it also deals with 'bang for the buck' where a few aftermarket parts yield great gains for the mustang that cannot be seen in the Vette' per dollar
The parts for the small block chevy arent exactly lacking.

Im sorry.. I dont feel the mustang compares to the corvette in any way. I dont think it should be compared either cause it isnt fair to the mustang cause its a different type of car.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
I don't see why you feel 450hp is not enough? Americans always seem to miss that power isn't everything.
Yet you praise Ferrai for taking the 360 from 385hp to almost 500hp in the 430 :roll:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
SilviaEvo
Regular User

i love teh 360 and i love teh 430 and i like american cars they are growing on me daily
Old 03-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

Gotta disagree with that too. The stock svt cobra was somewhere near a second slower in the quarter mile in 2003 then the stock z06 (thats not anything like competitive). I wont even do the corvette the dissastisfaction of discusing the twisties.
source motor trend
convertibles
1/4

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...et/index3.html

1/4
2003 corvette non zo6 non ragtop 13.1 sec @ 111 mph
2003 svt cobra- 12.9-second at 111

source road and track.

So lets see.. competitive numbers between both the base corvette and cobra in the 1/4. What do you think that meant for the zo6 that packed a decent hsp jump?
No..you're wrong!!

These numbers that you're quoting are from some magazine or from some professional test that was done under closed conditions with probably the same driver testing each car.

In the REAL WORLD these two cars are very closely matched. More often than not, the end result in the battle between these two cars was decided by the driver's ability, not the car's.

I've been racing my Corvette for a while now and have constantly been up against varoius Cobras on the 1/4. Even though I know I have them in weight and horsepower, it's still a pretty close race if the other driver is better than I am.

There are so many variables that go into it also. If one car has more tread on the tires, traction control systems, road or track conditions.

On any day with different contributing factors one car could have an edge over the other making the difference that would have nothing to do with power or closed course 1/4 mile numbers.

You can't just base your analysis on numbers that you read somewhere graywolf, the real world is always a little different.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #25
e46drew
Regular User

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/.../Shelbycob.htm

here are some good pics and comentary
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
graywolf624
Regular User

These numbers that you're quoting are from some magazine or from some professional test that was done under closed conditions with probably the same driver testing each car.

In the REAL WORLD these two cars are very closely matched. More often than not, the end result in the battle between these two cars was decided by the driver's ability, not the car's.

I've been racing my Corvette for a while now and have constantly been up against varoius Cobras on the 1/4. Even though I know I have them in weight and horsepower, it's still a pretty close race if the other driver is better than I am.

There are so many variables that go into it also. If one car has more tread on the tires, traction control systems, road or track conditions.

On any day with different contributing factors one car could have an edge over the other making the difference that would have nothing to do with power or closed course 1/4 mile numbers.

You can't just base your analysis on numbers that you read somewhere graywolf, the real world is always a little different.
Actually that doesnt make me wrong. The drivers ability doesnt effect on which car is close.
I could put your average person in a zo6 in me in a 80s caddilac and probably still keep up with them around a race track. Care to argue the caddilac is even close?

The only way to fairly compare cars is to take the same person with the same amount of experience in both cars, and have him test them both under the same conditions. Your ability versus someone who is a better driver doesnt make the difference in the car itself. Neither does the tire wear or conditions, cause that still means that all you have to do is buy a new set of tires and run at the same time on the same person and the other persons toast. Not to mention you could argue the same thing for any car.. Including a ferrari. I guess a ferrari is close to a camaro cause Im sure theres some footballer out there running one with bald tires that I could beat in a race in a camaro. Would it suprise you if I said I saw a 700 hp car run a 14 sec cause he screwed up? Does that mean I compare that car to the 14 sec car I use to own.. Hells no.

We are talking about the car and the car only. Not the driver and not different variables involved in running condition.
The fact of the matter is, in terms of performance, the zo6 whipes the floor with the cobra. The cobra has the one benefit that its a little more useable as a daily driver. But thats not why you buy a vette. Its not a direct or indirect competitor. Nor can it hope to compare with out ford removing it from its core market, the v6 20000 dollar car. You cant build a car for the 20000 dollar price point and expect it to also be the best at 45.. doesnt work like that.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:47 AM   #27
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

Actually that doesnt make me wrong. The drivers ability doesnt effect on which car is close.
I could put your average person in a zo6 in me in a 80s caddilac and probably still keep up with them around a race track. Care to argue the caddilac is even close?

The only way to fairly compare cars is to take the same person with the same amount of experience in both cars, and have him test them both under the same conditions. Your ability versus someone who is a better driver doesnt make the difference in the car itself. Neither does the tire wear or conditions, cause that still means that all you have to do is buy a new set of tires and run at the same time on the same person and the other persons toast. Not to mention you could argue the same thing for any car.. Including a ferrari. I guess a ferrari is close to a camaro cause Im sure theres some footballer out there running one with bald tires that I could beat in a race in a camaro. Would it suprise you if I said I saw a 700 hp car run a 14 sec cause he screwed up? Does that mean I compare that car to the 14 sec car I use to own.. Hells no.

We are talking about the car and the car only. Not the driver and not different variables involved in running condition.
The fact of the matter is, in terms of performance, the zo6 whipes the floor with the cobra. The cobra has the one benefit that its a little more useable as a daily driver. But thats not why you buy a vette. Its not a direct or indirect competitor. Nor can it hope to compare with out ford removing it from its core market, the v6 20000 dollar car. You cant build a car for the 20000 dollar price point and expect it to also be the best at 45.. doesnt work like that.
Thats the problem Graywolf, you're just talking about the car, and the numbers.

Its the whole concept of "it looks good on paper". Reality tells a different story.

You need to facter in the real world elements to have a REAL comparison. Once you do that, the cars are extremely similar in performance.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #28
mustang07
Regular User

So anyway back to the_car_and all......i would of thought without the silver accents on the dash it would look too black but they did it well. It almost looks like two different shades of black. And about the exterior i love that ducktail and that mock up air diffuser from the GT is a nice touch too. The side skirts look nice, gives it a nice low stance. That grill is awesome, much more aggressive! ok i'm done blabbing on about this....if only i was older and had the money haha.

EDIT: What the hell happened? It was just those few words though.
mustang07 is offline   Reply With Quote