Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #16
ben
Regular User

those lucky bitches
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:57 AM   #17
VWO4L
Regular User

Originally Posted by zevolv
Originally Posted by Zonda11
Apparently its Wyclef Jean's Car

I don't think they would just sell a Zonda in the US to anyone.
Actually Wyclef's is Silver and they aren't sold in the US they are what you call Grey Imports they aren't technically legal in the states like the Skyline.
McLaren F1 were the same. They were not technically legal in the US either. Mainly because they didn't have bumper which were good enough. The original ones are set too low to do any good and the two outboard seats do not have airbags either. I believe Ameritech was the main importer of them. They did the work to get the cars suitable for the US. They would remove the two outboard seats and add some horrid-looking bumpers on the front to comply with the laws. I think they may have even had to change the headlights too. I remember reading about it in a story from Road & Track magazine about 5 years ago or so. Ameritech is actually listed as the manufacturer for the US versions. The modifications are all reversible by the way and that's what the owners tend to do anyhow once they actually get the car. It's just that the mods have to be done in order to make them legal for sale in the US.

Here's a page with the story about the McLaren F1 from Road & Track magazine for those who've never read it or don't want to find the magazine again.. http://syndicatemod.com/dave/cars/mc...1/comment2.htm

Here are some pictures of the US-spec Ameritech McLaren F1's

VWO4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #18
zevolv
Regular User

there is no law about having airbags for passengers but every car has them now because to sell the car most people want them.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #19
VWO4L
Regular User

there is no law about having airbags for passengers but every car has them now because to sell the car most people want them.
There actually is a law about passenger airbags. Try going into a dealer and deleting the passenger airbag option. You can get rid of side airbags and all those, but you'll still have the driver and front passenger airbags. In the US anyhow. The McLaren doesn't have passive restaints for the out board seats which was the reason for the removal and no side airbags was mentioned as a reason as well. It was just easier to take out the seats than to add airbags and restraints Again, it doesn't matter since there are only about 6 F1's in the US and I'm sure the owners removed all the modifications anyhow once they took ownership.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #20
zevolv
Regular User

Actually no there is no Law about passanger airbags. As long as the car can pass crash testing you can sell it. That's why the HUMMER doesn't have Airbags.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
VWO4L
Regular User

Actually no there is no Law about passanger airbags. As long as the car can pass crash testing you can sell it. That's why the HUMMER doesn't have Airbags.
Well, you are half right. There is no law about airbags...........on vehicles that are not considered Passenger Cars or Light Trucks. More precisely, on vehicle with a GVWR of more than 8500lbs. Same reason school buses, dump trucks, semis, Kodiaks, large utility trucks and so on don't have them either. They also don't have to follow guidelines for fuel efficiency either. The H1 is not considered a Light Truck and doesn't conform to those regulations. The H2 on the other hand, is essentially a GMC Suburban and has to follow the light truck standards.

But, back to the main point. McLaren F1's do fall into the category of Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and thus have to follow the same rules in order to be sold in the US. Now, again remember that the reasons specified for removing the F1's seats was because it has no "Passive Restraints" and airbags were mentioned as well. Though I'm sure the passive restraints part was the more important one and was the reason stated for having to have the seats removed. So, it's not all about the airbags, but either way, it's better to know the truth right?

Here are a few quotes from some links I found regarding this.

Passenger Cars (Effective 9-1-96), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses (Effective 9-1-97)

Shall meet phase-in requiring air bags.

Passenger Cars (Effective 9-1-97), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses (Effective 9-1-98 )

Shall be equipped with air bags.
From http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...s/safstan2.htm It's Standard # 208 about half way down the page.

While we classify the Hummer H1 as a full-size sport-utility vehicle, it is actually a Class 3 truck. This means that it has a gross vehicle rating of more than 10,000 pounds and does not have to meet all safety guidelines mandated for smaller vehicles (for instance, it has no airbags)
From http://www.cardata.com/hummer_showroom.htm I's in the middle of the paragraph about the H1.

The McLaren seats probably fall into this rule better.

Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-72), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses - Options a and b only (Effective 1-1-72)

Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4536 kg (10,000 lbs.) or less, and buses (driver's seat only) shall have:

a. A complete passive protection system, or

b. Lap belts, belts warning and meeting 48 km/h (30 mph) crash test requirements, or

c. Lap or lap and shoulder belts, seat belt warning; outboard seats shall have a single-point pushbutton release and emergency-locking or automatic-locking seat belt retractors.
From http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...s/safstan2.htm Standard # 208 as well.

I'm guessing the F1's outboard seats do not one of the specifications listed there and thus are considered illegal and must either be added or the seats removed.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #22
mhn3773
Regular User

thats the thing it CANT! pass crash testing lol hence the need for pass air bags
mhn3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #23
TypeLT
Regular User

Red is gross on that car, I would still accept it however.

1986 944 Turbo
TypeLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #24
ARMAN
Regular User

What a stupid law :roll:

Lucky and first of all successful Wyclef I would say.

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #25
VWO4L
Regular User

Originally Posted by mhn3773
thats the thing it CANT! pass crash testing lol hence the need for pass air bags
Actually, the F1 has an extremely strong "survival cell" which surrounds the cabin. People have survived high-speed crashes in McLaren's before. It does quite well in crash testing. Problem is, repairs would be amazingly expensive with all that Carbon Fiber and other lightweight, high-strength materials it's made out of. But, I guess if you're buying a million dollar car, you're not too concerned about the price of repairing it's frame, body etc.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #26
crochico

Red is not the right colour for Zonda but it´s still a Zonda. Girl is really lucky, of course.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #27
yg60m
Regular User

Red really don't suit the Zonda, grey or black are much more better, even the yellow roadster was good.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:13 PM   #28
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

WHAT?!!? U.S. ruined the McLaren? those pics of the U.S. spec mclaren are horrible and frightening.. I am SHOCKED and APPALLED at what i am seeing..

it's a damn shame they gave it downsyndrom looks with those hideous bumpers.. not to mention taking out the 2 side passenger seats.. my ultimate pimp dream of drivin a mclaren is now ruined.. (in the u.s.)
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #29
VWO4L
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
WHAT?!!? U.S. ruined the McLaren? those pics of the U.S. spec mclaren are horrible and frightening.. I am SHOCKED and APPALLED at what i am seeing..

it's a damn shame they gave it downsyndrom looks with those hideous bumpers.. not to mention taking out the 2 side passenger seats.. my ultimate pimp dream of drivin a mclaren is now ruined.. (in the u.s.)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The modifications are totally reversible and I doubt there's one in the US that still looks that way. It's just a mandatory thing you had to go through to get it sold when new in the US. It's all just a beurocratic thing that doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like there's likely been an F1 owner who's ever been pulled over because their car wasn't legal in the US. It's just not something the police are trained to look out for when there are only a handful even in the country.

So, I'd say, save your money and buy one anyhow
Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #30
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

Red isnt that good on that car. But it is a nice car. Lucky girls indeed.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote