Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: what to do?
Allow it all - virtually unmoderated 3 33.33%
A single topic with a revolving topic title 2 22.22%
none of it 4 44.44%
"I have an idea..." (let's hear it) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Ideas on discussing politics - post here

I don't want to overwhelm topics here that aren't motoring related. But, I have always loved a good political discussion. In the past, two guys ruined it for the 100's of active members we once had. That proved to be a unwelcome move.

It seems no matter how hard we've tried to move away from discussing it; it always gets brought up... perhaps because more change is in the air than anybody can fathom. It scares me like few things ever have. It's like avoiding the elephant in the room. It just can't be accomplished.

What also seems impossible to accomplish is the open exchange of ideas, and knowing when to pull out. Having the last word can take days and turn ugly.

I'm open and welcome to ideas fella's.

Last edited by nthfinity; 09-13-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Ehhhhh. It only takes one to muddle things up. For the most part, I'm fine with people's personal opinion on politics, but we went so far and so well without discussing politics for years. And you know what happened last time it blew over (if you're "senior" enough)...

I figure people are old enough to discuss their political beliefs with their own close friends, or at specific political forums without having to shout their dogma at everyone online.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

Politics is pretty difficult to manage in this sort of environment. Not many people agree about everything and because what you believe is obviously intrinsically linked to who you are, it invariably gets personal. The second option is a useful compromise, but doesn't create discussion. Restarting the political discussion forum, but keeping it tightly moderated is probably the way to go. If it goes towards offensiveness, then clamp down, but otherwise, it's really only one or two who will go there.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

satire is the greatest way for a society to vent frustration or praise over politics, I see no problem with a good discussion over any topic, we have all types of people, some live in the center, some live to the right, and then some live so far in the left of the table you have to use a flight to send them the sugar, it's all good

there is nothing wrong with making fun of politicians, after all they are making fun of us by stealing our money, politics are dirty, the only thing lower than a politician is a lawyer, I think letting the discussions be can be beneficial, after all this is the internet, the last bastion of freedom of speech, where you can discuss anything without fearing someone will vandalize your car, like in NYC

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
pagani
Regular User

I picked the first option
Anything go's
Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
loliea
Regular User

That's a car/bike/plane/motor engined "thing" website, right?

At worst second option. If you want to pick a fight about politics, do it outside.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by loliea View Post
That's a car/bike/plane/motor engined "thing" website, right?

At worst second option. If you want to pick a fight about politics, do it outside.
I really don't see it being anything wide open. Certain people will exclusively post politics, and seldom touch anything in the motoring world. I don't understand that. I don't like stifling free speech in a calm manner; but this is not that kind of site; and there really aren't many out there like that.

We can't let the inmates rule the asylum.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

politics are dirty, the only thing lower than a politician is a lawyer
I'm involved in both and I reckon you're wrong.

But, yeah, any political discussion needs to be tightly controlled. I'm beginning to think it might just not be worthwhile.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
marcefer
Regular User

I prefer not to discuss politics or religion in this, a motorsport forum.
These are topics that make people sometimes too much passionate for a non-offensive discussion. But I recognize it is useful to understand other people´s opinion, provided your mind is sufficiently open.

Option 2 is my choice.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Kaz
Regular User

I'll go with #3, none of it
Closed Thread