Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
N.J.
Regular User

Default If you could only have one game, what would you choose?

Without ever playing Gran Turismo, and next to Grand Prix Legends & NFS Porsche Unleashed, my vote goes to the reason I bought a PC in the first place...

...Back in the '80s, Test Drive 1 & Test Drive 2 (F40/959) on the old Commodore 64 were HUGE to me.

After a few years, I ended up with the Commodore Amiga...but it wasn't until 1994/1995 when I was walking through a shopping centre, I looked into a computer store and could see all these people crowded around what looked like some brand new game...after taking a closer look, it was a car game - which while looking quite impressive, upon initial impressions looked like another pretty arcade game...but then I saw the dashboards of the cars! car historys, videos, voiceovers - this game was IT!! (The Need For Speed)

I immediately bought this PC-CD game even without a PC to start with. I remember taking the game to a friends house and played it for a few months on a 486 DX2-66 and actually had to turn down some of the options down so it could play properly.

When I bought my first pc - a Pentium 1 120 - this game ROCKED!

Like I said before, I didn't really put it down until NFS 5 Porsche Unleashed came out in 2000. (all the other NFS's were extremely disappointing - EA had obviously lost the plot and forgot what made the original great)

In all honesty, I'd still have 'The Need For Speed' installed now - almost 10 years later - on my Pentium 3 933 XP Pro if I could get it to run properly. (I think I might have to organise part of the hard drive back to FAT32 rather then everything NFS - or I could just install NFS on the old computer in the cupboard...)

ANYWAY - I VOTE FOR 'The Need For Speed (1995)

What would you guys go for?
N.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

Uhm.. not easy.. or better, impossible, but well, the game that probably can make me happy for months and years is GTA VC or even GTA3
Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
mitsucars

Grand Prix Legends

I dare not think about the amount of hours I have played this game, and sometimes I can go months without playing it, but then I play again and always love it ... it has that special something 8)
Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Difficult question, i like all my games but this one would win with 0.01%...

Mafia: City of Lost Heaven, for the PC.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
schnell318
Regular User

It would have to be Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. I´m sure GT4 will be far better but it´s not out yet as far as i know.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Anonymous

Easy one for me Championship Manager, this game sucks away time like you wouldn't believe i'm in my third season with woking and have am in the 2nd division after gaining 2 successive promotions my addictiveness rating when i last checked was "Remember to feed the the cat"
Old 05-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Grand Prix Legends for me. I've played it for a year and a half and still feel I've miles to go before I master it....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
666fast
Regular User

Thats a hard choice to make!
After thinking abot it, it came down to either Shenmue 2 or Halo. I've played through both fo them a trillion times and I haven't gotten sick of them.
But, because of multiplayer fun, I'd have to go with Halo.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
MaXGTS
Regular User

GTR: The Ultimate Racing Game.. Even though it's not out yet. The press demo gives me such a 'speed fix'.
MaXGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
N.J.
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
Grand Prix Legends

I dare not think about the amount of hours I have played this game, and sometimes I can go months without playing it, but then I play again and always love it ... it has that special something 8)
This is another one that was out for a while, then I heard so much about it, read reviews - it seemed to be a realistic sim, with a terrific physics engine + it had the awesome Nurburgring...you could even use the clutch!

I really enjoyed this one, and I'd still have this one installed too if I could get it to run on my p3 933 XP pro. (same problem as 'The Need For Speed'.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:16 AM   #11
N.J.
Regular User

Originally Posted by schnell318
It would have to be Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. I´m sure GT4 will be far better but it´s not out yet as far as i know.
I'm VERY tempted to go and pick up a playstation 2 and grab Gran Turismo 2 & 3.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:21 AM   #12
N.J.
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Uhm.. not easy.. or better, impossible, but well, the game that probably can make me happy for months and years is GTA VC or even GTA3
Yep, I picked up 'Grand Theft Auto -Vicy City' too...

Everything I read said it was awesome: flying planes & helicopters, driving cars.

Weapons like: swords, chainsaws, pistils, sub machine guns, machines guns, sniper rifles, rockets and my favourite...the Mini-Gun!!!

Good one! (I think at the moment, I've bought all the real estate, got all the weapons, but am only 50% through all the missions!)
Old 05-05-2004, 03:18 AM   #13
tanelvali
Regular User

Hitman 2.
tanelvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
mazmazmaz1
Regular User

I go with Diablo II. Its the best game I ever played. However in the racing world, I go with NFS 5 Porsche Unleashed.
mazmazmaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #15
noosee
Regular User

F1 2002 with GTR add-on. The handling of all those Ferraris and Porsches is so real. The best game ever for me
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote