Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #16
gis
Regular User

lol as far as i know,everyone on here from the UK aint had it done to them.thats why i posted to warn everyone,but it did happen to a friend of my dads from the archery thing

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I think these fuckers are based in the British Virgin Islands. I remember reading an article about these scams a while ago. They deserve a good ass wooping. Thanks for the info, D! 8)
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #18
Evo
Regular User

Thanks for the warning Danny, although I dought they would call me but it's better safe than sorry...
Old 12-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #19
yg60m
Regular User

There had been something like that in France, some people received a mail telling then their credit card had been correctly debited , then if they had any question they could call a number which cost 4 € per second !!!!! It was a satellite line
Old 12-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #20
TransAm
Regular User

You get lots of recorded messages phoning you here in TX, in the UK it was always people calling up, we leave the phone on the side and let them talk to themselves if it is a person, and just hang up on the recordeds or let the answerphone run and pick up if it is anyone we want to talk to!

Also, my mobile (cell) number here must be one digit away from a doctors number as I get 3 calls a week for a 'Doctor Roach'. Bloody annoying as I am on Pay as you go and it costs me to receive calls:

Caller: Is this Dr Roach
TransAm: Nosorrywrongnumber...click - 20cents worse off!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #21
Anonymous

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
Also, my mobile (cell) number here must be one digit away from a doctors number as I get 3 calls a week for a 'Doctor Roach'. Bloody annoying as I am on Pay as you go and it costs me to receive calls:

Caller: Is this Dr Roach
TransAm: Nosorrywrongnumber...click - 20cents worse off!
That must be such a pain in the ass... never heard of having to pay to recieve calls other than while on holiday (i found that out the hard way LOL )

We had a similar thing when our phone number was accidentely miss printed in a local business directory as a businesses Fax number... for ages we got bleeped at occasionally by faxes LOL
Old 12-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #22
topgeartom
Regular User

We get these very calls all the time - we just put the phone down straight away though. It is a recorded voice that starts out with "Congradulations, you are the lucky blah blah blah...."

Also, if anyone is selling their car on autotrader or a similar site there is a major scam going on at the moment. As we are currently selling our car (all enquires to my PM box please ) we have had over 20 of the same type. Basically you get sent an email from a 'perspective buyer' wishing to purchase the car immediately for the price advertised. They always say that they are based in another country though, and wish to have the car shipped out.

The whole thing is a complex money laundering scam.

Here is what autotrader's explanation of it (they are aware of the problem but are powerless to do anything about it):

A number of users have contacted us regarding e-mail scams they have received while advertising on our website. Whilst these scams have only affected a small minority of our customers it is a recognised scam that has the potential to leave sellers thousands of pounds out of pocket.

The scam, officially known as the West African advance fee or 419 fraud involves a buyer from abroad (we’ve had examples from Holland, USA, Nigeria) posing as an international dealer who wants to buy a vehicle. They claim that they are owed money by a client in the UK who will send a bankers draft for the full price of the vehicle, plus a few extra thousand to cover the cost of the shipping without viewing the vehicle or proof of condition and usually put their lack of phone number down to a temporary fault.

The emails are often full of spelling mistakes and poor grammar to persuade the victim that the fraudster is an uneducated person who wouldn’t have the ability to defraud them. The fraudsters also try to make themselves seem genuine by stating that the vehicle is a present for their wife, son, daughter etc and use this as reason for the urgency involved in the purchase. Many of the emails are signed off with a comment like ‘regards to you and your family’ or ‘may the peace of lord be with you.’

The seller is then asked to pay the draft into their bank and wire the excess money to the buyer to pay for the shipping costs. The bank draft itself may seem genuine but be wary; we’ve had reports of bank drafts being accepted which have watermarks and bank branch stamps on them but are revealed as forgeries after being paid into the bank.

After the money has been sent, the seller hears nothing more from the ‘buyer’. Normally, the bank will contact the seller after a few days to tell them that the bankers draft was stolen, forged or that it has bounced so check with your bank how long it will take for a bankers draft to be given value. (Ask the bank if you can withdraw funds safely on the cheque rather than if it''s cleared as there is a difference between a cheque being cleared and funds in the account). . If the bankers draft is forged the money will be stripped from the sellers account, leaving them thousands of pounds out of pocket. Customers have informed us that neither their banks nor insurance companies could help to mitigate their losses.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

you see, for telemarketers the 'easy' answer here to get them to permenently take your number off the list is to claim being a buisness.

my freshmen year at the WMU dorms, i was getting about 5-10 marketting calls per day. then i got pissed and started answering 'hello, dominoes pizza! may i take your order? we have a special running on 2 large pizzas 2 toppings and a 2 liter for $16.99...' is isaac there? or 'this is dominoes?... click'

within 2 weeks, i didnt have one more unsolicited call
its illegal for them to call buisnesses and cell phones here.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #24
topgeartom
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
you see, for telemarketers the 'easy' answer here to get them to permenently take your number off the list is to claim being a buisness.

my freshmen year at the WMU dorms, i was getting about 5-10 marketting calls per day. then i got pissed and started answering 'hello, dominoes pizza! may i take your order? we have a special running on 2 large pizzas 2 toppings and a 2 liter for $16.99...' is isaac there? or 'this is dominoes?... click'

hahah - nice trick. We used to get loads of telemarketers, now we pay £1 extra a month, and all 'witheld numbers' are blocked - it works a treat
Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #25
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by topgeartom
Originally Posted by nthfinity

hahah - nice trick. We used to get loads of telemarketers, now we pay £1 extra a month, and all 'witheld numbers' are blocked - it works a treat
we do that,pay the extra £1 a month,but yet some seem to able to get through....which is weird

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #26
Anonymous

Originally Posted by gis
Originally Posted by topgeartom

we do that,pay the extra £1 a month,but yet some seem to able to get through....which is weird
Well that would have been ideal for me blocking witheld numbers... then work would have never got through to me Back home we have had ony a handful since we rang BT and got put on some list which means the majority of "cold callers" won't contact you... if they do i think you can report them....... costs nothing to do but takes about a month to work...... so far so good Now if only i could remember what the service was called LOL!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #27
ikon2003
Regular User

Lol, you can never trust the "an all expenses trip to an exotic location."
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #28
bmwmpower
Regular User

thanks, world so dangerous
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote