Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
SlickDizzy
Regular User

Default Grassroots Motorsports $200X Challenge

I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything definitive, so I'll post this.

I read the magazine Grassroots Motorsports (great mag) and I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of the $200X Challenge (X signifying the current year i.e. the next Challenge is in 2005 so it will be the $2005 Challenge). You only have a budget of $200X to spend and build the fastest streetable car you can, while retaining a real body and safety equipment and everything (there is also a $200X Locost Challenge for completely scratch-built cars). All the cars compete in a drag race, an autocross, and a concours judging.

For more info go to http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

And here's some pics from the $2004 Challenge (all of these cars were built from $2004 or less, and this is just a few from about 80 cars)

Rotary VW Beetle

V8 Honda CRX

V8 VW Microbus

Turbo Alfa Romeo Spider

V8 Corvair

MG Midget with turbo Ford motor

Old 12-20-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
666fast
Regular User

A couple guys I know did it in 2003 with a Audi 5000. They said it was a blast even though they didn't have a chance of winning. They plan on doing it again sometime.

BTW, the cars are worth a lot more than what they were supposed to spend. See all thoe cars with sponsers? Yea, they either gave a discount or free parts ouright for adspace on the car. The guys I know got a ton of the stuff dirt cheap and some other things free.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
SlickDizzy
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
A couple guys I know did it in 2003 with a Audi 5000. They said it was a blast even though they didn't have a chance of winning. They plan on doing it again sometime.

BTW, the cars are worth a lot more than what they were supposed to spend. See all thoe cars with sponsers? Yea, they either gave a discount or free parts ouright for adspace on the car. The guys I know got a ton of the stuff dirt cheap and some other things free.
Actually the sponsor stickers are just given out at the event, and there's a "fair market value" clause that rules out free parts. Otherwise you'd have guys with $1 C5 Corvettes.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SlickDizzy
Originally Posted by 666fast

Actually the sponsor stickers are just given out at the event, and there's a "fair market value" clause that rules out free parts. Otherwise you'd have guys with $1 C5 Corvettes.
LOL, well, the guys I know that did it got a lot of free stuff. Nothing major, but free nonetheless.
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
possessed_beaver
Regular User

go the rotary!

awsome, some insane cars!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
mrpushrod
Regular User

The Midget looks hard as nails! For $2004 that can't be bad