Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Pixar's WALL•E

Wall•E opens 12:01AM June 27th in the US. July 18th in the UK and Sept 18th in AU.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 06-27-2008 at 01:05 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
philip
Regular User

USA Today gave it 4 stars, didnt read the article as it had too many spoilers.
Apparently alot of the dialogue is just machine squeeks and buzzes.

Looks cute, hopefully its not too preachy about the environment. However, I do wholeheartledly support recycling as it helps support a consumer economy, which I like and enjoy.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

WALL•E is the best animated movie I have ever seen, and easily goes on my top 10 movies list.

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Looks cute, hopefully its not too preachy about the environment. However, I do wholeheartledly support recycling as it helps support a consumer economy, which I like and enjoy.
It does tackle that issue. In fact they make it very clear that it's the message of the story. But thankfully, that's not what drives the plot nor does it get overbearing.

Oh, and all the chicks in the theater loved it. It's a good date movie as well.

It's a very original piece. Pixar's best. And it is mind scramblingly pretty movie.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Pity it is a "brainwashing" movie aimed at kids then.

As the parent of a now 10 year old, it is very alarming how many "kids" movies over the last number of years have been aimed directly at the young minds and have innappropriatly influenced them on supposed cut-and-dry issues - issues that later prove to not be as they are presented.

Why can these "cute" movies not just be that - cute movies and be done.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Pity it is a "brainwashing" movie aimed at kids then.

As the parent of a now 10 year old, it is very alarming how many "kids" movies over the last number of years have been aimed directly at the young minds and have innappropriatly influenced them on supposed cut-and-dry issues - issues that later prove to not be as they are presented.

Why can these "cute" movies not just be that - cute movies and be done.
Yeah... It's a shame.

But you know what? In this movie, the most your child will pick up from the movie is "Stop eating junk food and playing games all day in the couch or you'll get fat."

I don't know. I was extremely bothered with Happy Feet's plot. But somehow I didn't mind this one as much.

*I will say this. WALL•E is not a kids movie. It doesn't seem like a simple kids movie. There's no slapstick humor, no dumbing down for kids. (well, not too much) It's a legitimate movie by its own right, not just a sci-fi flick, but also a compelling drama.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 06-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Yeah... It's a shame.

But you know what? In this movie, the most your child will pick up from the movie is "Stop eating junk food and playing games all day in the couch or you'll get fat."

I don't know. I was extremely bothered with Happy Feet's plot. But somehow I didn't mind this one as much.

*I will say this. WALL•E is not a kids movie. It doesn't seem like a simple kids movie. There's no slapstick humor, no dumbing down for kids. (well, not too much) It's a legitimate movie by its own right, not just a sci-fi flick, but also a compelling drama.
I have to say I both agree and disagree with you. I do think that this is a good stand-alone movie that has some adult appeal, but there are definitely quite a few slapstick moments. It's just a matter of how much you let the story and the highly compelling imagery in the movie color your mindset. If you, like HeilSvenska and I did, watch the movie and get immersed in its plot, imagery, and drama, you'll find that it's a more serious movie than you'd anticipated, though no less enjoyable for it. If, on the other hand, you choose to not let the story suck you in so far, then, like some of my friends, you'll find the movie absolutely hilarious and come out with tears streaming down your face from laughing so hard.

I'd give this one a 9/10.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
philip
Regular User

With all the great reviews, I may have had too high expectations going in. Thus when I finally saw Wall-E, I enjoyed it, but I only ended up giving it an B+ maybe an A-.

It is so well rendered it begins to blurr the line with live action.