Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Default WTF when did Harry potter become the devil?

so, today after missing out on the last 2 movies, I rented them on my way home since I was gonna have all the nephews around and stuff, so I popped in the order of the phoenix and they all (5 of them) my brother's 2 kids, mine and my sister's little monster ... ok so they are all very quiet for like 15 min, movie is truly interesting, having read all of the books up to deathly hallows I can only wonder just how close to the book the movie is, not an exact copy but very nice, nice cast... when suddenly my brother's wife walks in from the kitchen and starts this gigantic drama about how Harry Potter is the devil and all things magic are evil and I just... well... LMFAO one of the kids said to her "shut up muggle!" I bursted in laughter

but this did not stop her, she even pulled her kid off the couch and got all belligerant, so I said ok, fine I will take it off, but they asked me to see it, my brother comes in from outside, tells me that they are not fans of Harry potter and that all that stuff is satanic... I can no longer contain it and just say to all of them, "JUST WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU IGNORANT FUCKS?" when did you all become bible thumping morons? you don't even go to church! Harry potter is an entertaining and well written series of books which is imaginative and full of wonder with an indelible message of good in it, it's just like any story about good VS evil, and evil never wins... what makes it demonic? are the spells real? if I grab a twig and say "havra kadavra" to you will you die a horrendous death? if I grab a broom and mount it am I gonna fly around and play quiddich?

My mother who had been quiet all this time, interjected at this point and said, well, if these movies were truly demonic and teaching kids bad spells I would have made Claire(my brother's wife) dissapear a long time ago... then she lets out a witchy laugh...

we all started cracking up except Claire, she has never had a good relationship with my family, she walked outside, had a smoke and then she took off, during dinner my brother told us that he had already filed for divorce a couple months prior and she was not signing, the only person who knew up until now was my mother, so I guess his christmas present will be to be rid of the stupid bitch, seriously, this bitch is bible thumping at everybody yet she is out screwing men, she complains about her kid watching Harry Potter while she is having sex with 2 guys while the door is open and my 4yr old nephew is watching... come on! I am happy my bro is starting the new year with a divorce, and do not worry, they haven't been living together in a year and he has a pretty hot girlfriend now...

well sorry for my rant, but I also need to know just how many people are out there thinking Harry Potter is demonic? I mean seriously WTF? just what sort of nonsense is this? I for one will let my kids waqtch whatever they want, provided they are not watching Spice, even then when they are a little older I will take out the block, I am sure by the time they are 14 they have seen and done everything anyway I am not naive, if they get pregnant i will however proceed to beat the snot out of whoever the boy is that got my daughters... but that is another thing

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

Merry Christmas 10000

The only foul part of the write up... replace "witchy laugh" with "cackle" LOL

As a former child of some serious Bible thumping, I saw some amount of this... But with Harry Potter... the main reason I see them being so beligerant over Harry is that JK Rowling is not an author within moral, and religious alagories... that is the main reason why I think her books wont stand the test of time like Tolkien, or CS Lewis. That said... I'm rarely interested in reading fiction... right now, I'm reading "the new industrial state"

PS; congradulate your brother for me
Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

I am struggling to see how even a Bible thumper equates Harry Potter to evil and devil etc.

I am just amazed at how the entire globe was suckered into byuing the books, merchandise and supporting crap catapaulting JK Rowling to billionaire status.

I mean, I had cool fantasy stories and concepts when I was younger and nobody would give me the time of day, let alone publish them for me allowing me to retain full royalties....

Hhhmmm... come to think of it maybe she did make a deal with the devil to gain such financial success hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post

I am just amazed at how the entire globe was suckered into byuing the books, merchandise and supporting crap catapaulting JK Rowling to billionaire status.
well, I think it all comes down to taking the plunge at the right moment, there was a void in that genre for some time, people hungered for fantasy, especially that kind of fantasy where you have dragons, wizards, magical beings and comedy, even if it is british comedy, so we had dungeons and dragons and the stories got stale, too complicated, we had towers and Narnya, however all of those failed to identify with many people, so she created Harry, a weak, pathetic looking four eyes with a heart of gold and thrown into some stuff that he did not want to be in.

I believe it is this that first drew them towards the books, the idea of Harry growing up amidst all of this stuff, all the things that kids go through, the bullying, the first kiss, strife, etc etc, and then she was brilliant by intertwining harry against the worst evil ever, in my humble opinion, having read the books, the way she writes it, sometimes in the first person is fantastic, it's almost as if you were living the stories

so yes I love fantasy literature, I know she is no Tolkien, or Jules Verne but Rowling is great

Merry Christmas, HO HO HO!!

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

^Yeah, I agree. I think it's rubbish, but it's written to sell. It combines fantasy with schoolboy/coming-of-age type fiction - two highly popular genres.

Potter novels have nothing to do with religion. I would also struggle to find any Satanic similarities.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

^Why on earth did his parents let him have the Megadrive in the first place?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

The very fact that Harry Potter, Twilight, and High School Musical are so popular is the proof that Harry Potter is invention of Satan.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

I think the Devil passed on Hih School Musical, its more like the GT-R, promoted to the point people "think" its enormously popular, but its just that we all heard of it via the media... thankfully I have seen many parents/kids who have not seen it
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Alelanza
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
but I also need to know just how many people are out there thinking Harry Potter is demonic?
Well, from what i've seen the whole thing seems rather capable of reaching lameness of demonic proportions, but i guess that's not what you are asking

Seriously, I remember being at school and then seeing a bunch of kids running away from the restrooms as one of them claimed to have seen one of those "demonic smurfs". That was funny at several different levels, but I recall the whole satan smurf thing taking a while to wash away completely. If anything smurfs had more of a hippie jibe to them, but i guess people always need to see demons wherever they can in order to feel better about themselves and all the crap they do, after all "those smurfs from hell have to be doing a lot worse than me"
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote