Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Default presidential candidate debate

I have been watching this... and before it I thought Obama was the man... now I am not so sure

Macain has destroyed him hard, Obama got all bent out of shape, he had some major points, but for some reason he did not come across as a collected individual, to me it marked the difference between a seasoned senator and a 2 yr junior senator...

John Macain got under Obama's skin rather harsh, there were 8 rounds of questions, if you think of it as a boxing match, Obama may have gotten 1 punch in while he took punches to the skull repeatedly by macain

now I am not republican either, nor am I a democrat, but FFS Obama should skip getting into debates with macain... this was not good for him, he sounded too dreamy, he tried to paint a picture of a fantasy... Son of a....

another debate like this and I know where my vote goes

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again

Last edited by 10000rpmlover; 09-26-2008 at 10:45 PM.
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
SHIZL
Regular User

they both didnt answer the real question about the economy crisis and will continue to dodge that because thats one of the focal points for me, as far as the winner there wasnt a clear cut winner for me, me i really dont care about crooks (politicians).
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by SHIZL View Post
they both didnt answer the real question about the economy crisis and will continue to dodge that because thats one of the focal points for me, as far as the winner there wasnt a clear cut winner for me, me i really dont care about crooks (politicians).

LOl did you see the fox news poll they made?

82% said Macain bent obama over his lap and spanked him

11% said Obama won

7% said there was no winner

LOL!!!

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SHIZL View Post
they both didnt answer the real question about the economy crisis
The reason is Obugga insisted they have this stupid debate instead of help knock out a solution - afterall, one of these 2 blokes will be stuck with cleaning up the mess... for Odumba to say they should not be involved in the solution is pretty, well.. dumb.

This debate could have waited until Monday.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

I don't like any of the above choices. But I know there was no way I'd vote for Obomonitis. Some of my Obama supporting friends are starting to waiver at their blind support of him... maybe it was just that they couldn't/wouldn't support another Clinton who was the "obvious" opportunist... who knows.

Missed the debate, I was reading a book. Any good? or mostly dumb questions?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #6
styla21
Regular User

In all honesty, I thought both candidates did a very good job laying out their policy positions. Neither candidate had a major gaffe. Both candidates landed several jabs. Both candidates get an B+ from me. There are certain atmospheric things that I thought were evident in the debate, but I don't really trust my instincts on this given my partisan and ideological filter.

I have a feeling that all this debate does is further entrench the partisans and make it even more difficult to choose for the truly independent. Obama supporters will love his performance. McCain supporters will love his performance. I really thought there was no knockout punch like the Kerry/Bush debates where Bush almost lost the election on a single debate.

Then again, I have my own bias. What will matter is how the polls turn out...and as I understand, polling of undecided voters thus far from Luntz, CBS, etc show a small majority of undecided voters thinking that Obama "won" with a third calling it a draw. And, of course, just because a voter thinks a particular candidate won a debate doesn't mean they'll vote for them.

IMHO, I really don't think this debate will change the fundamentals of the race at this time.

Edit: CNN hand victory to Obama for debate:http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS...oll/index.html

Last edited by styla21; 09-27-2008 at 05:26 AM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
philip
Regular User

I didnt watch the debates. I do know that if you have picked a side, in your mind that person won the debate.

I think this time for once we have two really good candidates. I just wish Obama had picked Hillary as I think that may have been unbeatable. Now it is a real horse race.

There is a view that Biden may get ill, and back out of being VP, so that Hillary can step in.

Then it would get really interesting.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

watched a bit of a rerun

Obama's liberal voting record
In the debate he said this...

"I was voting against Bush" rather then having substance as to why he has the most liberal voting record in the US Senate. Bush is not the "most conservative" by any means... BO was/ is banking on his followers hate of Bush, and voting record to prove as much... is this reason enough to be POTUSA? Obama is still banking on running against Bush rather than running against McCain.

McCain IMHO should've capitalized on that flaw rather then continue on. How can BHO expect to win over independants who want their President to "come across the isle" and leave behind partisan politics?

Maybe in the next debate.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

There are a few things I've noticed about Obama recently.

1. After Palin's nomination, Obama has continually criticised her and her nomination. This is a daft move. He is not running against Palin. He is running against McCain. Leave Biden to figure Palin out. He's lost focus.
2. He looks tired. McCain is still calm and collected, but Obama looks close to losing the plot. He has become vain and jealous. Obama appears to be the kind of politician who wants to be on top and hates losing. Most of these politicians can at least pretend, and most never actually get the chance to be on top. He now lacks to energy to pretend.
3. He's upped the attacks on Bush. This, like the attacks on Palin, are a bad tactical move. Even worse, perhaps. Bush is out. He's finished. Who cares? Bush isn't popular in the first place! He should be focusing more on McCain, rather than trying to conflate McCain with Bush, which is simply incorrect.

I think Obama will be dangerous as a president. He seems incredibly arrogant. Whilst some arrogance is needed in politics (and in most other professions), he is arrogant in a self-centred way. He wants everything to be about him and his own ambition.

In my opinion, Obama will not be elected. Hillary Clinton would have been elected, especially with Obama as VP, but that would have been unrealistic. Even so, that would have ensured 16 years of Democrat rule. Now, I foresee eight more years of Republican presidential rule, even though the Democrats are in firm control of the legislature.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
styla21
Regular User

1. After Palin's nomination, Obama has continually criticised her and her nomination. This is a daft move. He is not running against Palin. He is running against McCain. Leave Biden to figure Palin out. He's lost focus.
Well, no, he's running against both. It's in Obama's interest to critique, manipulate, and invalidate any arguments that both McCain and Palin, either seperately or collectively present.

2. He looks tired. McCain is still calm and collected, but Obama looks close to losing the plot. He has become vain and jealous. Obama appears to be the kind of politician who wants to be on top and hates losing. Most of these politicians can at least pretend, and most never actually get the chance to be on top. He now lacks to energy to pretend.
Vain and jealous? Lacking energy? I dunno mate.. Really?

3. He's upped the attacks on Bush. This, like the attacks on Palin, are a bad tactical move. Even worse, perhaps. Bush is out. He's finished. Who cares? Bush isn't popular in the first place! He should be focusing more on McCain, rather than trying to conflate McCain with Bush, which is simply incorrect.
Whether you agree with the rhetoric or not - Obama's strategy is to link Bush's policies with McCain. Using sentiment such as "four more years of bush's policies" and "McCain supported Bush's policies 90% of the time" links the tremendous dissatisfaction of Bush directly with McCain. *I am not commenting on any sides policies and remain impartial, i'm only commenting on perceived political strategy*

Last edited by styla21; 09-28-2008 at 12:34 AM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

1. Obama is not running against Palin at all. You can't conflate the presidential and vice-presidential candidates. The only other alternative is McCain. Palin is there simply to make McCain more popular.
2. Obama was clearly spooked by Palin's selection. He was upset that someone got more media attention than him.
3. I just think that the strategy doesn't work. McCain is not known to be an ardent supporter of Bush.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
3. I just think that the strategy doesn't work. McCain is not known to be an ardent supporter of Bush.
The pollling to-date suggests otherwise
I guess the answer to this question ultimately is not too far away, and we'll find out soon enough!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
Mattk
Regular User

I never trust polls. They are somewhat reliable in Australia as I think there is less political diversity, but in the US, there would be whole segments missed out.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
SHIZL
Regular User

dont trust the media,think for yourself,come to ur own conclusion
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
graywolf624
Regular User

Well, no, he's running against both. It's in Obama's interest to critique, manipulate, and invalidate any arguments that both McCain and Palin, either seperately or collectively present.
See yes and no. Obama has been focusing on Palins experience. The issue is, this brings focus on his own relative lack of experience. He says shes a heart beat away from president, but if hes barely more qualified then her and hes being elected president.. well you get the point..

The pollling to-date suggests otherwise
Firstly it depends largely on the poll. Second do I need to remind you who the polls thought would win when bush ran?

Last edited by graywolf624; 09-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote