Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Default Do you think that Carlos Ghosn the renault president is mad?

According to his plans, renault is going to launch five new renault models into the premium class from the minimum 27000€ price in order to challenge against mercedes and BMW. Thus, the renaultīs expectations is to increase their value by spreading the range into 26 different models, and everything !!!! within four years!!!!

Furthermore, the next coming new model is going to be the new laguna, and they are expecting to get the laguna among the three best cars in the segment; in addition, Carlos Ghosn stated that the Renault Laguna launch is going to be their best step in order to aim their premium class

Naturally, he was asked by the journalists if his new policy is risky, too ambitous whatsoever; however he has been mentioning that his situation in Nissan was very similar when it wasnt making any profit, and his innovative idea made nissan a solvent company

Although probably he is saying some accurate and real objetives; I dont think that renault will get the BMW and Mercedes prestige only in four years at all, and IMO its not enough to produce good cars, original (in terms of originality the french are the bests) or reliable; for me at least they have to be the first when launching the new technologies for the cars as mercedes, BMW or even Audi did in many times in their main cars
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
TransAm
Regular User

Extremely optimistic maybe, but not quite in the realms of madness just yet

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Ghostbat
Regular User

Well Audi managed to step up to the premuim segment so I guss renault could do it too.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Mers
Regular User

the french will buy them over peugeot..

But he has to get it just right
Old 02-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Sir_GT
Regular User

If anything, he needs a USP (unique selling point) to get Renault noticed. Mercedes always had the badge-slash-snob appeal (and for a time, unsurpassed build quality), BMW always pushed their driving dynamics and reliability, and Audi always talks about their quattro technology and their interiors.

So I wonder what card Renault is going to play.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
If anything, he needs a USP (unique selling point) to get Renault noticed. Mercedes always had the badge-slash-snob appeal (and for a time, unsurpassed build quality), BMW always pushed their driving dynamics and reliability, and Audi always talks about their quattro technology and their interiors.

I'd say design...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #7
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mers

I'd say design...
Their designer (Patrick Le Quement I believe is his name) is very good, but I've yet to see anything from him that would be considered "business-class" like what the big 3 German marques provide.

Let's see what they do.
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mers

I'd say design...
I find Renaults downright ugly... they're gonna have to work quite hard on "design" to cause an impact.

People buy French cars mostly because they're cheap. The average French salary is quite low, so their cars sell over there. But if the average French person could choose, he'd be going for another marque for sure.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Sir_GT
Regular User

Looks like they'll have to find another selling point. Audi's just started going all out with their design theme. They've been sponsoring stuff on GQ, ES, Vogue, Vanity Fair, and various London newspapers that carry fashion-related articles and pull-outs.

My my. Audi and high fashion. And to think that a certain forum member used to accuse BMW of being the brand for pretty boys.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:09 AM   #10
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Well Audi managed to step up to the premuim segment so I guss renault could do it too.
True but it was possible then, it isn't anymore.

I've allways heard Carlos Ghosn was a great manager, but I think he's making a mistake with this. A better solution would be to bring back a premium brand and use that. It would cost more money, but it would be more effective as well.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Originally Posted by Ghostbat
True but it was possible then, it isn't anymore.

I've allways heard Carlos Ghosn was a great manager, but I think he's making a mistake with this. A better solution would be to bring back a premium brand and use that. It would cost more money, but it would be more effective as well.
I always thought Audi was a premium brand? Maybe my automotive history is wrong.

But yeah, he is a great manager for sure. But could he pull this one off? Hard to say, it might be better if Renault uses another brand that already has the luxury image. Much like how the Japanese segmented the market with their luxury brands and kind of like how the US companies are trying now.

Risky business for sure!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
crayzayjay
Regular User

Mad? No. He's the best car boss around.

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Mattk
Regular User

5 premium cars? He's mad! Renault can't even produce regularly-priced cars well.