Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Nascar crash at 200 mph... driver walks away!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Well - looks like the "Next Generation Car" is a stupid design from a handling perspective... the car highsided him, like a motorcycle would.

Never seen that with the old car designs.

Now maybe the "safety cage" is "better"... but what point is the car if it is unpredictable in handling ?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
fordgt84
Regular User

damn!! real thumbs up for the safety ppl... when u see that u'd expect someone to at least be unconscious

Last edited by fordgt84; 04-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

I think that leter on they determined the crash to be at 165 mph. However, it was still one of the hardest hits I've seen in recent NASCAR history.

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Well - looks like the "Next Generation Car" is a stupid design from a handling perspective... the car highsided him, like a motorcycle would.

Never seen that with the old car designs.

Now maybe the "safety cage" is "better"... but what point is the car if it is unpredictable in handling ?
I don't think there's much evidence to back up this statement.

This accident could havce been due to anything from the crew having a poor setup on the car, driver error in speed, cornering angle, or even the tires being overdriven.

These cars (NASCAR cars in general) crash all the time. Pinning this one wreck on the new design just because it just happened to be the car that was being driven at the time seems to be quite unfair.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver View Post
These cars (NASCAR cars in general) crash all the time. Pinning this one wreck on the new design just because it just happened to be the car that was being driven at the time seems to be quite unfair.
I just want them to ditch these riced up looking cars and go back to the classic NASCAR days
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

^So what will they use to stand in for moonshine and who plays the cops?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I just want them to ditch these riced up looking cars and go back to the classic NASCAR days
Now that I totally agree with.

I also believe that foreign car makers should not be allowed to participate. The sport has it's roots in shine running and the big three (Ford, Chrysler, GM). These should have remained the only three allowed to race. The sport has sold out to the greed factor.

For now it's just Toyota, but within 10 years it'll be Honda, Mitsubishi, and Nissan as well.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
79TA
Regular User

The new car is meant to be more brick like. It does do stupid things to the aero department (despite wing and splitter) but this crash really does show how the fatter car has helped. I don't like to bring back bad memories but 160 into the wall is what took Earnhardt. The haans device and fatter crumple zones really made a difference.

As for Toyota's new 00 driver, I wonder if he's really ready for the Spring Cup.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote