Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
coombsie66
Regular User

Default Networking problem with new Netgear DG384PN router

Hi guys,

Any help would be great as currently this problem is doing my NUT!!!
Just bought a new netgear router, its a 4 port and wireless, so i plug in my desktop as a hard wired network connection (it has windows XP 2002 service pack 2) and my laptop wireless fine too, my sisters laptop also works fine on the wireless connection. The internet connection stays on for hours and hours, no problem with speed etc, all is hunky doory.
Then i plug in my office desktop (windows XP 2002 service pack 2) and the router's internet connection immediately disconnects and then constantly tries to reconnect but fails.
None of the computers have windows firewalls on as i read this conflicts with the routers firewall, and ive put all the internet connection and lan settings on the office comp as they are on my desktop, but still no luck!!!!!

I know this is really a long shot, but can anyone advise what i can do to try and at least diagnose why my office comp is being such an absolute biatch!!!! :x

Please help, or i fear this may end in a computer related masacre...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Is your router issuing DHCP IP addy's to the devices?

Maybe your office PC has a hardcoded IP.. maybe even that of the router gateway - so when it is plugged in chaos ensues.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
coombsie66
Regular User

EDIT: IGNORE ME I AM A COMPLETE IDIOT!!!!!

Thankyou for the reply RC, but i managed to work it out in the end.
This afternoon nothing was making sense, the connection was totally random and i was about to throw the PC out of the window when i discovered a phone T'd into the internet line just after the wall socket that didnt have a filter on!!!! Hence the totally random connection loss. God damn i wish i'd checked that earlier!
Still, hope it bloody well works now, looking good so far 15 minutes with all computers connected!!! WOHO!!!!

Cheers guys