Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #16
r2r
Regular User

My roommate got one few ours ago, and so far I played with it more then him I think haha.

Anyway it's very cool when you get to see one in person, much smaller in person then when you see it in pics.

using the web browser is very very nice, but if your not in the wi-fi area it's very poor.

the only reason I would not get it is because of the poor camera (only 2mp)

Pros.
Web browser
iPod features
simple and fast interface

Cons.
Camera
external speaker (very quite)
slow connection in non wi-fi areas

For now I'll stick with my K800i
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #17
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by phatbimmer
Half of you protesting will be getting one, just like when the ipod was being sold everyone was complaining about the price and how apple is gay blah blah blah. STFU and if you like it buy it now or later and if you don't take the sand out of your pussy.
On the contrary. I still do not own an iPod. Nor will I ever get an iPhone.

Look at these people. See what kind of people get iPhones?

Overpriced. Pretentious. Not that good. Everybit an Apple product.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

Half of you protesting will be getting one, just like when the ipod was being sold everyone was complaining about the price and how apple is gay blah blah blah. STFU and if you like it buy it now or later and if you don't take the sand out of your pussy.
Apple just 4-upped the Zune and its benefits over the ipod technically speaking.... but, at 600$ I won't be getting one.

I actually think the new ipod phone is awsome, and if it were 350$, id have one.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by goodduck
Originally Posted by HeilSvenska

lmao

i down own an ipod and never will. people will look back on the ipod and laugh their asses off at how stupid the craze was.. "wait so they paid $500 for a hard drive that plays music?"
i have yet to meet someone who was laughing at the fact they paid too much for a sony walkman when it first came out

Old 06-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWalo
Originally Posted by goodduck
Originally Posted by HeilSvenska

lmao

i down own an ipod and never will. people will look back on the ipod and laugh their asses off at how stupid the craze was.. "wait so they paid $500 for a hard drive that plays music?"
i have yet to meet someone who was laughing at the fact they paid too much for a sony walkman when it first came out

Uh....
Nobody remembers the walkman that was for the "new" generation 20 years ago mate.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
sentra_dude

Hey if you want to blow $500 bucks on a phone be my guest... I'm sure as hell not going to get one.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
silentm
Regular User

never going to get an apple product, for some reason i hate the brand... it's just that everyone has an ipod and it just isn't anything special. you are paying way too much for way too little. same goes with the iphone, there are products that can do pretty much the same and cost a fraction.
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #23
ae86_16v
Regular User

I just played w/ my friend's. Bottom line it is pretty damn cool.

The touchscreen is definitely very cool. Screen was very sharp and clear, and I was amazed at the clarity. The UI was also very cool and OS X like, very intuitive.

I came from a Treo and currently using a Motorola Q, and the iPhone makes both of those look like they are ages old, like last generation technology.

With that said, I do a fair amount of texting and emailing, and I still built that the physical keyboard has the iPhone beat in that regard. The predictive part about the iPhone typing is pretty accurate and is about 99% correct. But personally I prefer the tactical feel of the keyboard.

Another problem with it is that AT&T's EDGE speed is ridiculously slow. Think 56k and even slower. Haha. Coming from 3G's Treos and Moto Q on Sprint's EV-DO network, that is just not acceptable. It is barely usable, I guess if you are using it for just email it is okay, but you can forget about any type of content what so ever.

All in all, very good first effort, the screen and touch technology might be worth it alone. For me the price isn't that bad on the phone, could be $100 cheaper, but it is the monthly plan that would kill me.

Good thing is that Apple again has pushed the envelope higher again for competitors. I love Palm and all but they really gotta step up their game now if they wanna stay in business.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #24
evoWalo
Regular User

it isnt 3g cause almost all of the US of A is on an EDGE network. 3g penetration isnt there yet and it would zap the battery.

i expect the Euro and Asian iPhone to have more of the bell and whistles. when i do my internship in the US it would be one of the items i'd probably buy.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #25
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by ae86_16v
I just played w/ my friend's. Bottom line it is pretty damn cool.

The touchscreen is definitely very cool. Screen was very sharp and clear, and I was amazed at the clarity. The UI was also very cool and OS X like, very intuitive.

I came from a Treo and currently using a Motorola Q, and the iPhone makes both of those look like they are ages old, like last generation technology.

With that said, I do a fair amount of texting and emailing, and I still built that the physical keyboard has the iPhone beat in that regard. The predictive part about the iPhone typing is pretty accurate and is about 99% correct. But personally I prefer the tactical feel of the keyboard.

Another problem with it is that AT&T's EDGE speed is ridiculously slow. Think 56k and even slower. Haha. Coming from 3G's Treos and Moto Q on Sprint's EV-DO network, that is just not acceptable. It is barely usable, I guess if you are using it for just email it is okay, but you can forget about any type of content what so ever.

All in all, very good first effort, the screen and touch technology might be worth it alone. For me the price isn't that bad on the phone, could be $100 cheaper, but it is the monthly plan that would kill me.

Good thing is that Apple again has pushed the envelope higher again for competitors. I love Palm and all but they really gotta step up their game now if they wanna stay in business.
So it is not 3G? That's strange. I'm interested about iPhone more on the technological side, because it seems like a very tigh package of hi-tech. Nokia N95 was critisized over it's poor battery life. I'm sure we'll hear about iPs battery soon, if it has the same problem.
Originally Posted by evoWalo
it isnt 3g cause almost all of the US of A is on an EDGE network. 3g penetration isnt there yet and it would zap the battery.

i expect the Euro and Asian iPhone to have more of the bell and whistles. when i do my internship in the US it would be one of the items i'd probably buy.
Yup exactly. First of all AT&T's HSPDA barely have any coverage in the US. EDGE is more wide spread but it is awefully slow. I am currently using Sprint's 3G which is based on CDMA's EV-DO network and works really well and has plenty of coverage.

Steve also said they picked EDGE because it saves battery, so it would be interesting to see when they launch in Europe will it be 3G or not, my bet is that it will.

Bottom line is that AT&T's network can't handle the extra bandwidth and it doesn't have enough coverage. Even their EDGE network was knocked down for about 30mins - 1 hour on the weekend because of too many people logging on.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #26
philip
Regular User

The technology I have purchased over the years all has become worthless.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
Svensson
Regular User

I've just seen the guided tour on the Apple website and I really like the iPhone. There are a few things that I dislike however...

First the fact that it only works with the slow EDGE-network. I really hope they'll fix that for the European market. Secondly, the built in camera has to have higher res. I consider 3.2mp the very minimum, especially since the newer phones are already getting 5mp sensors. The last feature I think it needs is the support of GPS navigation software like TomTom Mobile. Google Maps is nice, but GPS navi works so much better.

When they fix those things I'll be the first to buy it, although we'll probably have to wait for iPhone mk2 or 3...

Here's the Guided Tour video:
:arrow: http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...me_848x480.mov (326Mb)
Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #28
evoWalo
Regular User

i have yet to find someone i know needing an extrra battery for their phone. unless of course they travel away from a powersource for long times.

this photo is one reason why i may not get an iPhone. Fucking fugly fellow that looks like a disgrunted fag.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #29
Svensson
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by Svensson
I've just seen the guided tour on the Apple website and I really like the iPhone. There are a few things that I dislike however...

First the fact that it only works with the slow EDGE-network. I really hope they'll fix that for the European market. Secondly, the built in camera has to have higher res. I consider 3.2mp the very minimum, especially since the newer phones are already getting 5mp sensors. The last feature I think it needs is the support of GPS navigation software like TomTom Mobile. Google Maps is nice, but GPS navi works so much better.

When they fix those things I'll be the first to buy it, although we'll probably have to wait for iPhone mk2 or 3...

Here's the Guided Tour video:
:arrow: http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...me_848x480.mov (326Mb)
I might add the built-in battery to that list. I don't know what is the expected life time of the whole iPhone, but battery is certainly the first one to die. And if you can't replace the battery, the phone is pretty much useless soon.
I have had my current phone now for a year and because it is in business use, I can't always run the battery empty before charging it. I can already feel the battery capacity has decreased and I have to recharge it more often.
I guess the mechanics for a replaceable battery didn't fit in the iPhone so they chose the built-in one.
Yeah I forgot about that. But you can forget about an easily replacable battery for anything with starts with an "i". It's not a mechanical question, it's all about the money. You can bet that it can be replaced, but only by official Apple-personnel and will cost about €100 just as with the iPods.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #30
Svensson
Regular User

LoL there you go... Here's Apple's official "iPhone Battery Replacement Program"

iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program Frequently Asked Questions

What is the iPhone Battery Replacement Program?
If your iPhone requires service only because the battery’s ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, Apple will repair your iPhone for a service fee of $79, plus $6.95 shipping. Be sure to follow these instructions for optimizing battery life and troubleshooting battery charging issues before submitting your iPhone for battery replacement.

How much does it cost to participate in the program?
The program costs $79, plus $6.95 shipping. The program cost is $85.95 per unit.
All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax. Service may not be available if your iPhone has been damaged due to accident or abuse. Please review Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for further details.

Will the data on my iPhone be preserved?
No, the repair process will clear all data from your iPhone. It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, email account settings, text messages, and more. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service. Please do not send any accessories with your iPhone.

How long will service take?
The repair process normally takes three business days. See the iPhone Service FAQ for information about getting an AppleCare Service Phone for you to use with all of your data while your iPhone is being repaired.