Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
altedza
Regular User

Default Take a look at the Memberlist

about 3000 members have 1 or less posts! like 2600 have ZERO posts. this is out of like 3400! only 300 people visit the forums each day. averaging like 20 at a time. something must be done! it makes me sad when i come back after a day to see that no ones replied to my posts due to lack of viewers.
altedza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:29 AM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

It sucks, but unfortunately it is hard to police when dealing with a public forum. Many sign up and wait for any available vid they can grab, pounce on it and that's it, not a post, not a peep.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:31 AM   #3
Fluxlo
Regular User

eh? i'm not a heavy poster on this forum, but it's not like i just pounce on any videos i see...most of the talk here doesn't interest me too much, if a very interesting discussion comes up i'll gladly and willingly join it. I visit the forums every day, and i spend at least 30 minutes reading, if not more. Don't just assume that everyone that doesn't have a post count of over 50, or a 100 is just here for the video's.
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
Minacious
Regular User

Which is why I said "MANY" and not "EVERYONE"
Old 12-17-2003, 02:43 AM   #5
Fluxlo
Regular User

didn't mean to direct that towards you miniacious. I was basing my comments off the first post
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:44 AM   #6
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

about 3000 members have 1 or less posts! like 2600 have ZERO posts. this is out of like 3400! only 300 people visit the forums each day. averaging like 20 at a time. something must be done! it makes me sad when i come back after a day to see that no ones replied to my posts due to lack of viewers.
I noticed that a while ago too...but you can't really control that unless you put a time limit or something, like if a member is inactive for 6 months or something, his account will be deleted...but then jabba, tt and fish would have to deal with people saying they went on a half year vacation in the jungles of congo or some other god forsaken place, asking for their account to be activated again with all their post count...so I think we're better off the way we are...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:55 AM   #7
ported_head
Regular User

it's sounds really bad statistically....but the reality is different. not all the cars are relative to where i live..in my country we are still a few car decades behind other countries...though they just started selling the bentley arnage red label here. so i would rather wait and get to know the car better before i post something like" that's a sweet looking car." rather stay silent than be pathetic.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
TT
Regular User

Default Re: Take a look at the Memberlist

Originally Posted by altedza
I don't know wich forums you visit, but around here I always thought we had a perfectly lively community with 100 core member... since you registered we had a dramatic increase of post and you still think the forum is slow?
I hope not all the 3400 members will start posting because I'd find 2000 new posts to read every morning!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 AM   #9
geekdiggy
Regular User

there are 3361 registered JW memebers. of those:

only 95 have more than 100 posts
3239 have less than 50 posts since registering
2856 have 0 posts

i know i'll get quite annoyed at the barage of new members posting like hell to get video vault access. most of their post content will be worthless (as we've already seen) and idunno how much i can take of it before i pull my nose hairs out with a pair of hot forks.

i find it funny though that ever since jabba announced the new access rules HUNDREDS of members have crawled out from under their respective rocks to post their asses off hoping to catch some sweet top gear episodes.

makes me wonder why i even bother at all

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:19 AM   #10
dhacke

you know its not so uncommon.. on my own site there are over 600 registered users, of which maybe less than 50 or so actually post regularly

626 total users
468 have 0 posts
90 more have between 1 and 5 posts

so there's kinda a trend here, and I bet if you check at a few more forums you would find a similar pattern emerging, although of course here at JW many obviously have registered for the videos only and since the changes some are now spamming any damn thread they find even if its previously been dead for 3 months just to try and look helpful and worthy of dl access ..
Old 12-17-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
fishfreek
Regular User

Of course about 1500 of those members joined after the vault came online.

Free Photo Hosting
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:24 AM   #12
altedza
Regular User

Originally Posted by geekdiggy
there are 3361 registered JW memebers. of those:

only 95 have more than 100 posts
3239 have less than 50 posts since registering
2856 have 0 posts

i know i'll get quite annoyed at the barage of new members posting like hell to get video vault access. most of their post content will be worthless (as we've already seen) and idunno how much i can take of it before i pull my nose hairs out with a pair of hot forks.

i find it funny though that ever since jabba announced the new access rules HUNDREDS of members have crawled out from under their respective rocks to post their asses off hoping to catch some sweet top gear episodes.

makes me wonder why i even bother at all
at least i bothered to crawl out!
altedza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #13
Wide
Regular User

I`m very happy with this place..
People u counted who has more than 100 posts had discovered this place is heaven...
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
doyle
Regular User

As you can tell from my register date, I joined fairly recently. I am a reader and not a poster. I have been on Rennlist for over 3 years and have just about 250 posts total and I check it everyday. Same goes for JW, I check this site nearly everyday, but I don't feel the need to comment on every post usually because by the time I have a comment, someone has already posted something similar and I don't see any need in posting the same thing.

I agree that many people join to grab videos, but that's the nature of the internet. People search to find what they like. If something here catches someone's eye then they'll stick around.

I found this site through a video link from somewhere else. It caught my eye, and I have been checking it ever since. I fully understand the requirements of the moderators in basing access off the number of posts, but wouldn't a more fair way be to base it off the number of visits, or the average amount of visits per week if possible? I would bet that there a few out there like me who are loyal visitors and readers but don't feel the need to create a post for every thought that comes to mind.

That's just my 2 cents.

doyle
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:54 PM   #15
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by doyle
I found this site through a video link from somewhere else. It caught my eye, and I have been checking it ever since. I fully understand the requirements of the moderators in basing access off the number of posts, but wouldn't a more fair way be to base it off the number of visits, or the average amount of visits per week if possible? I would bet that there a few out there like me who are loyal visitors and readers but don't feel the need to create a post for every thought that comes to mind.

That's just my 2 cents.

doyle
i mean sure!!! and then we should start paying people to join!!
that would be sooo awsome! or not
web servers cost money... good web servers cost even more..
jabbas world uses a GOOD web server, and costs GOOD money to run, you could atleast contribute.

give something back after taking (even if u say thats "HOW THE INTERNET WORKS") cuz it works like that evreywhere else doesent have to work like that here..

"exeption to the rule"
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote