Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-24-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
hemi_fan
Regular User

Default Stock Exhaust vs. Straight Pipes

When I bought my car, it had a set of custom straight pipes on it, that came from the catalytic converters right to the back and curved down before my GT Skirt, but to certify the car, I had to spend $600 in order to have them put stock mufflers on it, so it would pass... I asked them to save the straight pipes, and now the car barely makes any noise... What should I do?

a) Leave the stock exhaust.
b) Stock exhaust but put on some Flowmasters
c) Try to throw the old straight-pipes back on there

I realize there will be a slight, but probably insignificant power difference with the different pipes, but what I'm aiming for here is sound. so what would sound better?? (Engine is stock btw).

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

straight pipes with a 2 chamber exhaust from magnaflow, or borla

some people feel the magnaflow sounds like a grumble witha whine like a supercharger... which is great if you have one... but id say borla for a 5.0
Old 04-24-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

You spent the money - so just throw the straight pipe back on, and save the stock system for next years inspection time...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
FoxFour
Regular User

Can Canadians use CARB certified mid pipes and still pass emissions? Unless you have surprise inspections, throw the straight pipe back on and put a Flowmaster cat back in there.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
Nocturn
Regular User

I say leave a exhaust that will pass on, otherwise your just spending money for no reason. Easiest thing to do is run some cut-outs before the cats if you want, or an offroad pipe that you can put it its place come inspection time.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Nocturn
I say leave a exhaust that will pass on, otherwise your just spending money for no reason. Easiest thing to do is run some cut-outs before the cats if you want, or an offroad pipe that you can put it its place come inspection time.
He has already spent the money...

So he may as well get the enjoyment of the straaight pipes - until next inspection time...
Old 04-25-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
Nocturn
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

So he may as well get the enjoyment of the straaight pipes - until next inspection time...
My point exactly, hes going to keep wasting money to put the other two system on every time he needs to get it inspected I say get a system that will pass you so you can save the money.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:36 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

My point exactly, hes going to keep wasting money to put the other two system on every time he needs to get it inspected I say get a system that will pass you so you can save the money.
Uhm - wtf are you saying?

He already has the other exhaust - paid for - so why not use it?

Where is this "extra" money he will have to keep spending to if he already owns both exhaust systems?

:roll:

Swapping pipes is probably the second easiest thing after an oil change.

hemi - you waited so long for the 'Stang - go enjoy that V8 sound - and learn how to replace your exhaust system into the bargain...

Here at JW we are not pussies... and do not shy away from the technical requirements of our cars...

Let's hear that V8 of yours ROAR!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 03:09 AM   #9
Nocturn
Regular User

Well I weld all my pipes in aside from the collector/xpipe connection so I simply assumed that was what he was going to do, and unless he knows how to weld which I would say 95% of people don't then it would cost money to get done, that was what I was talking about.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:19 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Well I weld all my pipes in aside from the collector/xpipe connection so I simply assumed that was what he was going to do, and unless he knows how to weld which I would say 95% of people don't then it would cost money to get done, that was what I was talking about.
Then maybe you should go for flange or collar assemblies next time. *shrug*
Old 04-25-2004, 04:56 AM   #11
Nocturn
Regular User

I probably would go that way with a cat if I needed to put on one. As for now I am happy with my current setup.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #12
hemi_fan
Regular User

The welding would not be a problem if I find a piece to put on the end of the straight pipe, because it bolts onto the car very easily, and Im not a very good welder, but the welding teacher at school is a friend of mine and im sure he'll be able to hook me up. Then all I have to do is get the car into my auto shop for a period, up on the hoist, and pull the old one off and do the swap... The only problem is I think i'm going to have to buy a pipe to weld onto the end of the straight pipe where it was cut, so where would I look for something like that? OR should I just leave the straight pipe short, and not even bother having it coming all the way to the rear skirt?

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

ive 'seen' one interesting straight pipe on a 92 5.0. to begin with, the car was far from stock, and it was the most amazing sounding engine i have ever heard. the pipes were actually aimed down at the ground somewhere near the driving position. at idle the exhaust rumbled the pavement :shock:
Old 04-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #14
hemi_fan
Regular User

OO, that would be cool... Just need to get some dumps up near the front of the car... very interesting.

1990 Ford Mustang GT