Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-15-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
Korny_kid71
Regular User

Default Amber Alert issued Today (in Toronto)

Well an amber alert has been issued in Toronto, apparently a black guy (30 yrs old) killed his wife and kidnapped the 2 yr old kid...it started today in the morning, I remember hearing the very first announcement as my mom was driving me to work on z103.5 (a local radio station). When she picked me up (at around 10:30) every single highway sign said "AMBER Alert issued, Please tune into a local radio station" and now I saw on FOX (US Channel) that at the bottom every now and again they have a lil add thing talking about the amber alert in TO, any one have any other info on it as to why this moron decided to do that?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #2
possessed_beaver
Regular User

nice media scare tatics i would say

what is this amber alert, for terroists?
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #3
Korny_kid71
Regular User

aha terrorists in canada? lol but im guessing the police think that the guy is going to kill the kid (hes only 2 like i said) and im preaty sure thats whats ganna happen if they dont catch him. Usualy when a kid goes missing an amber alert is issued, and plus since we already had a couple of kids beeing killed in the last couple of years the cops are getting nervous. Im just confused why they are putting up so many warnings, when Cecilia went missing (dont rememebr the year) i dont recal so many adds in the first couple of hours. I gues the cops dont want any more media up their asses?

btw incase u didnt know what an amber alert is:

What is an Amber Alert?

Each program establishes its own AMBER Plan criteria; however, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children suggests three criteria that should be met before an Alert is activated.

law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted
law enforcement believes the circumstances surrounding the abduction indicate that the child is in danger of serious bodily harm or death
there is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect’s vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help
If these criteria are met, alert information must be put together for public distribution. This information can include descriptions and pictures of the missing child, the suspected abductor, a suspected vehicle, and any other information available and valuable to identifying the child and suspect.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
possessed_beaver
Regular User

thats an intresting attitude,

i think the australian police would take more of a 'sit backk and wait' approach then isuing alerts and things like that.

intresting how all the law enforcment in diff parts of the world works!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Korny_kid71
Regular User

yeah its wierd i wouldnt think the police would become this active in a crime :shock: its good to see that they are actualy trying to do something to save this kid. Here is more on this story i just found:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...4-002/page.asp
Old 05-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

This has been going on in the US for awhile now. I noticed it about a year ago in Phoenix, but from what i hear it has been in place for quite sometime now in other states.

It has proven to be quite effective so far.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

It is very effective and has helped apprehend a bunch of people.

In many other countries, abductions, missing persons and such are largely ignored - and subsequently not reported.

It is quite eye opening once you find out just how people simply fall off the map in every country every year.

The lower down the food chain they are, the less likely their disappearance will make the news.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote