Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-26-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
ldin
Regular User

Default driving out of the dealer...

well...my first stick car! audi 1.8t!!! but im still 50/50 on driving it out alone. i have driven stick before(once tho), and i get the gist of it...and the dealer is about 15min from my house...so i think ill be ok..but not sure if i should get a friend to drive it out for me or just bring out the big balls and do it myself? this is bothering me more then actually being happy im getten a new car...
ldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

Where are the pictures? Why buy a manual if you can't even drive one (or barely can)?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
stracing
Regular User

i don't think he's got it yet

my first ever purchase was manual and i had no idea how to drive one. got a mate to drive it home and taught me how to drive it
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:10 AM   #4
dingo
Regular User

^ it wouldn't take too long, just sit in the car put it in drive and and sit back.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:19 AM   #5
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by stracing
i don't think he's got it yet

my first ever purchase was manual and i had no idea how to drive one. got a mate to drive it home and taught me how to drive it
diden't you get a manual licance thoe so you would of driven it before?
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:28 AM   #6
stracing
Regular User

nope..i did all my practice and tests in an auto. then when i had enough of my own money i decided to get manual becoz it looked cool when my friends were driving. i didn't even think it was an economical/performance issue at the time nor did i know that many good cars were manual only.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
stracing
Regular User

in the old days...a provisional license doesn't state whether you were driving a manual or auto. so most kiddies did their tests in auto and then when they pass they started to drive manual. it was just too easy to get a license and drive manaul that way. so now the provisional license states whether you have to drive manual or auto.
but when you have a full license you can drive any tranny you want.

don't know what it like for other states tho
Old 08-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
T-Bird
Regular User

that's stupid that you have to have a license for different trannsmissions it's a waste of time, in the States we have one license that covers all your bases and it seems to work out fine that way. Next thing you know you guys will be having to test to get an F1/SMG license.

BTW what Audi is it?
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
mindgam3
Regular User

I'd say that if you've never driven a manual before it would be wise to get someone else to drive it home as it will probably take about a week or more to get used to it. I would imagine remembering to put the clutch in when stopping would probably be something to remember if you've only ever driven autos. I don't know tho, you might catch on to it within a few hours
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
gottacatchup
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
that's stupid that you have to have a license for different trannsmissions it's a waste of time, in the States we have one license that covers all your bases and it seems to work out fine that way. Next thing you know you guys will be having to test to get an F1/SMG license.

BTW what Audi is it?
If you think about it being liscenced in a manual wouldnt be a bad idea. It would definately keep people from screwing up perfectly good cars because they didnt know how to drive em.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #11
SilviaEvo
Regular User

Default Re: driving out of the dealer...

Originally Posted by ldin
well...my first stick car! audi 1.8t!!! but im still 50/50 on driving it out alone. i have driven stick before(once tho), and i get the gist of it...and the dealer is about 15min from my house...so i think ill be ok..but not sure if i should get a friend to drive it out for me or just bring out the big balls and do it myself? this is bothering me more then actually being happy im getten a new car...
Pics or STFU
Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
gottacatchup
Regular User

Default Re: driving out of the dealer...

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
Pics or STFU
calm down man he doesnt actually have the car yet.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #13
ldin
Regular User

yup no pics YET....but i think ill just do it myself i don't have much to lose, if anything i get into a accident and hopefully die....but beside that...fuck it...you guys will most likely see pics of it being crashed...
ldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #14
budagboy2
Regular User

yup no pics YET....but i think ill just do it myself i don't have much to lose, if anything i get into a accident and hopefully die....but beside that...fuck it...you guys will most likely see pics of it being crashed...
now thats a GREAT attitude
budagboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #15
No.1
Regular User

OMG... i cannot believe this.

You have never driven a manual before, then you go out and buy one, without learning how to drive it before purchasing.

You must learn to drive a manual before being let loose on your own car. It is irresponsible for you to drive a car in which there is a manual clutch.... which you have never learned to use before.

Also.. it is just dog shit that you think that a "Stick-shift" (i hate that phrase) is cool. Only drive a manual if you have a desire to. It is pretty sad that in the US (i am assuming, as you have not bothered to fill in your profile) that people think a manual is "cool". In Europe, and the UK especially, a manula is seen as the norm, not a fasion accessory, but something to add to the fun of driving and the control the driver posseses over the car... not something to impress your mates with :roll: