Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 09-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
Anybody that would buy one of these over a 911 or Ferrari needs their head read.....crazy people
PLZ tell that to RC...PLEASE???
Why?

What's the point of comparing the watered down, generic, hair-dresser C6 to the 911 or the 360? Wait - I know - image is seemingly very important to everyone.

The reason someone would buy a $50KC6 Coupe instead of a $70K Carrera or a $190K Ferrari is probably because they are not rich like you snobs (real or imagined) - or they just didn't feel the need to blow their whole wad on a go-fast toy.

There are however a number of people who have both a 911TT or F360CS and a C5 Z06 in a garage. The same will be true with the C6 Z06.

The reason that there is a way to get the same performance as th 911TT and F360CS without having to be a extremely wealthy.

If YOU are wealthy and can buy what you want - more power to you. If you are not wealthy but force yourself to NOT purchase the Z06 because it is not snobby enough for you - your loss - remeber there are still folks who will enjoy both.

Oh yea thats right - this "in depth" was about the hairdresser car that EVERYONE knows is a bland, poofta mobile - much like the base Carrera.

Originally Posted by TT
Also, forgot to say that there were weird noises coming from basically everywhere inside the cabin.. squealing, rattling... and the car doesn't have 100'000 km :bah:
Was it an abused rental car?

I have 100,000km+ on my C5 Z06 and I don't here weird nosies - even when I beat the crap out of it.

Comparing a rental car to a owner car is not realy fair. I remember reading about some folks who rented a Carrera and when to the Nurburgring.

The car was utter used up crap, loose, rattling, squeaking and a bad overall advert for Porsche - the same would be true of any rental.

Originally Posted by TT
You still have a "endless US highway" feeling when you slot it into 6th and you cruise at around 130 km/h and 1800 rpm :shock: but despite 6 liters and 8 cylinders, when you floor it in 6th, nothing happens LOL. Almost nothing at least.
Well - as pointed uot - it is supposed to react that way - 6th gear lets you cruise long distance using almost no fuel.

How many times does it have to be pointed out that 6th gear is a purpose designed tall cruise ratio.

Now that you have tried a boring hairdresser car, let's get a Swiss C5 Z06 owner to give you go - and then hope a C6 Z06 car would come your way.

Your opinion will change drastically Because you will then realize that the hairdresser coupe is sold to keep the production lines rolling long enough to produce Z06's for people who want a loud, brash, fast and serious super sports car.

If posing and cruising and image are your goals, go buy a girly car like an SLK.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #17
AlienDB7
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Originally Posted by AlienDB7
Nice in depth review TT. Now I wonder, did GM's marketing department force the designers to put a crappy plastic interior in the 'vette so they can sell the caddy XLR? I know you may think I'm crazy but isn't the XLR based on the C6 platform and engine as well? If people are looking for a high[er] quality interior, they probably should get a XLR instead??
IMO to try to sell the XLR just basing your marketing effort on the improved interior quality is pure foolishness BTW yes, the XLR is based on the C6 vitals. Let's face it, the XLR aims anyway to an older, less hooligan public, so it would be kinda dumb to downgrade the C6's quality just to sell more XLR (which is, frankly, ugly as fuck )
Don't overestimate the intelligence of the GM marketing department

Although they're probably a little bit more creative than the Chrysler one with their Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Neon. Maybe that's why it's now discontinued :roll:
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Wutputt
Regular User

Thanks for another in depth review TT. The pics taken at the lake with the statue in the water are just great.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Was it an abused rental car?
Well, the car was one of the first arriving here, demo car from the start, racking just a few km. It was just rented by a car entertainment shop down the road as a long term rental (5 or 6 months), to use it as an advertising car, just parked outside their store basically, most of the time at least (BZW, the car has some huge stickers on the side which disappeared thanks to PS, really crappy looking LOL). It doesn't have many km, I can't really recall but it's really low. Probably abused a little, but well, all the cars we tested so far were demo cars, with more or less km and none was in such a pitifull condition... for sure I don't want to generalize, it was maybe just that car, maybe because it is also an early model...

We will try to test a Z06, but not many will arrive and the garages aren't willing to have a Z06 demo car so either we will manage to know an owner, either we will be owned

BTW, today we got another 400 hp demo car, a Gransport and well, it's another planet, but I know, we shouldn't compare such cars

Anyway, for the ones able to read french: here is the review. it's quite positive and for the last time, I also think the C6 is a great car afterall! Still, when faced to the real life situation, around here, for a reason or another, most ppl (wealthy or not)buy something else :bah:
http://www.asphalte.ch/Auto/C6/C6-1.html
Old 09-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
it's quite positive and for the last time, I also think the C6 is a great car afterall!
The Coupe is a poor example of what the car is supposed to be... think of the Coupe as what the accountants and focus groups decided the Corvette should be - while the Z06 is what the Engineers wanted it to be.

For the record I dislkie the Coupe hehe

Originally Posted by TT
Still, when faced to the real life situation, around here, for a reason or another, most ppl (wealthy or not)buy something else :bah:
The Coupe is over prices in Europe (and is bland performing everywhere.. ) - which is why the folks in the know (and money , as it costs a bit) imported C5 Z06's for themsleves.

I will see what I can do to get you some seat time in a Swiss C5 Z06..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 AM   #21
stmoritzer
Regular User

Thanks TT for another review, but I must admit I only had a look at the pictures. The ones at the lake are cool. The car itself does not bring any emotions to me.

The Gransport, if next , is more of interest.

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #22
TT
Regular User

Hehe don't worry, the GS pics are basically read, I just need to wait a couple more days to avoid posting updates too often

Originally Posted by RC45

I will see what I can do to get you some seat time in a Swiss C5 Z06..
UH! Actually it would be just great if you could arrange something, I would owe you big time and I am sure I will like it

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Glad to see another "in deph" review! The pics are superb, with the lake... really nice scenery. Do you chose them yourself or is JC who says "let's go there to take the pics - it's a nice place"?
Well, out test road is always the same one for every car. First because it is just a nice and pretty empty road not too far away and second because it is nice to test all the cars in the same conditions. As for the pictures locations, it depends.. sometimes it is me, sometimes JC.. most of the time it was just decided once there. For the Vette it was different, I discovered you can reach the shore while I was having fun in the CBR so I took a mental note we should take one of the car there. It was the Vette