Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default possibility: Seat Leon 1.8t

yes, this week im waiting to buy a 2004 8,000kms seat leon 1.87turbo, i has a performance chip, and the guy will give me a k&n filter, i was thinkig im 17 now, in january i will turn 18, my concerns are about safety, i have promise myself that if i buy this car im not gona street race, i know is a bit too drastic, and may be a lil bit to impossible to do it, the car is pushing about 200hp, its considerably fast, but i need ur advices! please!

plus could you guys tell me if it is a good car? shoul i get it?
right now the cost is not the main concern, my safety it is, but what do you guys think?
aparently all the services are being done in the dealer, so i guess is ok.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

You are stupid enough to streetrace but still concerned about the cars safety standard. You sure are one complex guy :roll:

The Seat Leon is Pretty much a Golf IV but I'm not sure about how safe that car is. And don't fool yourself, the Leon 1.8t is pretty quick but it's no rocket. Is it the 210bhp Cupra your going for or the standard 180bhp version?
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

about the reliability of the car......the 1.8 engine is a good engine and reliable overall, anyway you are buying a second hand car, and you are taking the risk that the previous owner didnt care the car, and a second hand no cared turbo car has much less reliability than the second hand aspirated engine one, once any turbo engine doesnt have to be accelerated when the turbo is cold, and the turbo engine after a journey doesnt have to be turned off inmediately.......the positive thing that youve got its that the previous owner didnt have the car for a very long time in his or her hands

about the safety...you shouldnt be concerned once it has a good chassis and a good stability on curves; for instance, ive got an Audi A3(the former model) which shares the same chassis as far as i know, and ive no complaints at all about the chassis, and the leon brake well also

your car must have 4 airbags at least and it shouldnt be a problem the passive safety either

a second hand car purchase is always a risk, and the only rule before buying a second hand is to look carefully for observing if the car has the chassis in good conditions, if the engine works in good conditions, if the interior is in good conditions......
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
bmagni
Regular User

i have my doubts about seats i havent heard good things bout buyers from em, though im talkin mostly bout ibizas, pretty few leons
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

it is under warraty, the guy is a more or less mature person, i would say 28, he's married, and he has a new baby, and the doesnt support him and his family, and he just bought a van :roll: , the car is the 180 version, with 200+hp, my concerns are not about the mechanical functions of the car really, because i just talked with the guy at the dealer, and he is getting me the record of the car, and im going to take it to the dealer so that way they'll check the car for me, my concerns are about legal state of the car, thats why im getting a certificate with the PD, as soon as we negotiate a litle bit more.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
corvette97
Regular User

@ghostbat: im not stupid to street race, but thats something that most of mature ppl think im gonna do, ur 27, you must think that a 17 year old kid with a fairly fast car will do stupid things, and dont tell me you dont, becouse i think the same, its just that im not THAT stupid, i like fast driving, lets say my average is 80-100km/h in a fairly open area, with no traffic, but i know that will a lot more power that what i used to drive, i'll get tempted
Old 09-02-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Now, think for a second.
Why would somebody sell a car with a 1.8T engine, only 8.000km's & chipped?

Something doesn't sound right. Unless you're in some kind of financial problems, you don't sell a car like that.
Quite a few cars are sold with low mileages for a wide variety of reasons. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, I would get the car tested though by a independant garage or something before purchase.
LotusGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote