Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
sentra_dude

Default *2005 Mustang GT and 2003 Corvette Test Drive*

So today I decided it was time for another test drive, but I didn't feel like driving all the way to the city, so I just scoped out the local offerings...and they were good.

First I dropped in on the Ford dealer, as they had a nice looking red hardtop 05 Mustang GT parked out front. I took a look, and unfortunately it was an automatic :roll:, but I saw one other Mustang GT in the lot, a 2002. That also turned out to be an automatic, but I sat in it anyways so I could compare it to the 2005. I asked to see the 2005, and the salesman got the keys.

2005 Mustang GT (automatic)
The first thing you notice is how much nicer the interior is on this generation versus the last generation. Its just miles ahead, and the seats are more solid feeling and comfortable. The instruments are cool looking, but I found them to be fussy and hard to read while driving. The back seats are a joke of course, but whatever. Once driving, you really notice the size of this car, it feels much bigger than the last generation, and not very sports-car like. On the flip side the car feels very solid, and not as 'jiggly' as the last generation. The car seems to have good grip, although I did not push it in any corners, and the ride is very good, a huge improvement over the last car. One thing about this car that really annoyed me was the steering wheel. It has a nice retro design, but I don't like where my hands fall on it.

The car sounds great from inside and outside, at idle, while cruising, and especially at full throttle. Unfortunately the car was an automatic, but even so the car gets up and goes once floored, and the sound is great, if a little quiet. This car could really benefit from a louder intake. While the car is certainly quick, I was a little bit disappointed with the speed, but I will chalk that up to the automatic, and reserve judgment on the speed until I can drive a manual version. Overall a nice car, but not really sporty enough for my taste, and the car felt quite large, with a smallish interior in relation.

2003 50th Anniversary Corvette (automatic)
This car is more my speed, being more focused, and designed as a sports-car. This particular example was yellow, had the removable roof (possibly a standard feature, I'm not sure), a 4 speed automatic, and heads-up display.

I was really hoping this car would be an manual, but I guess you can't have everything... This test-drive was also remarkably simple, all I had to do was ask to see the car, and then go from there. 8)

When they say Corvettes have terrible interiors, believe every word of it! The interior was appalling for a car that originally listed for close to $50,000, with ugly design, and trash-can level plastics on the doors and dash board. The seats were leather, but some kind of low-cost leather, and it felt like you were sitting on them more than in them. Those issues aside, I was impressed with the car overall.

This car had a heads-up display which is a bit frivolous, and I would never pay money to have one, but it was pretty cool. The seating position on this car is quite good, and I like the view over the hood. The cabin, while having terrible quality, is pretty roomy, and I like the steering wheel. The car sounds great at start-up and idle. I generally prefer the Ford V8 sound, but this Chevy V8 sounds really nice. I started out in the passenger seat, and we drove for a bit on the highway, where it pushes less than 2000rpm, and is pretty quiet, with a controlled ride. After a bit of that, it was my turn to drive. 8)

Such a shame that this car was an auto, because it gave the throttle a weird feel in easy, city-style driving. The brakes seemed very touchy, but might just need getting used-to, and the steering was...weird. Not terrible or over-boosted or anything like that, just weird. The salesman told me the car had 'variable assist' or something like that, and I think it was the culprit. Its a good idea, but I didn't really work on this car.

After about 5 minutes of driving I finally got a chance to give it some gas...a nice on-ramp. I gave it a good shove on the throttle (not full), the car downshifted and I was a bit disappointed by the acceleration, it sounded good, and it was definitely moving, but not as much as I'd hoped...after about a second of this the car suddenly downshifted again and we launched forward with the V8 screaming for about half a second before I let off. Holy shit! My heart was suddenly beating like crazy, and I knew this was a serious car. 8)

I quickly took the next exit, so I could sample another on-ramp. I went slowly, about 30mph, to let the traffic in front move out of the way, and then I smoothly floored it. Holy SHIT! In no time I was already up to 65mph, and the sound was good and loud, a proper V8 sound, it definitely got my heart rate up! That was the only time I got to give it full gas, as the we were already back to the dealer after that, but damn, that was fun!

Overall I was impressed by the power of the car, and its just the plain C5. The interior of the car was a let-down for sure, but the car drove very nicely, which is what matters right?

Sorry guys, no pics, but I don't have a camera currently, and I'm not sure what they'd think of me taking pictures before a test-drive.

Next target: Vette C6 manual

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Well - firstly, pics or STFU

Secondly, having driven all 3 cars you evaluated, I can't agree on any of your impressions...

You sure you really drove those cars, and not 3 Kias and a Hyundai? hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

RC secretly has the only automatic zo6.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Sadly I have had the displeasure or piloting an auto hairdresser special...

It sucked big time - but for none of the reasons our journalist at large listed... hehe
Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

It sucked big time - but for none of the reasons our journalist at large listed... hehe
its crap in the same way an auto z28 LS1 is terrible

anyway... having driven both cars myself... i'll 100% agree that the stock 05 mustang sounds way more wicked and awsome then the SN95 mustang, and is definately remeniscant to the movie Bullit... for good reason

i totally disagree about the mustangs' seats... i pushed the car hard in corners in all of my 3 different test drives... and your ass is sliding all over the place.... my recomendation is to take out the seat, and replace with a good bucket.. that may be less comfy
ive driven an automatic GT, and 2 manuel GT's... and the diference is as id expect... Night and Day!... 3rd gear takes the GT to roughly 120 ( i know from expereience) 4th is too tall, and so is 5th... but 5th is obviously set for highway cruising... id recomend replacing the final gearing with some higher ratio for shorter overall gears.
the previous SN95 (MY 2003/4) didnt feel jiggly unless you were driving the soft-top, or v6 (soft suspension).. but the 05 does feel much more solid, there is seriously no wait time between turn in, and actual turn in. the Sn95 did suffer from 'delayed reaction' overal mechanical grip is improved on teh 05... but id attribute that to a more rigid chassis/body then overall better suspension... but the front coil overs are improved from the previous generations'.

my main dissapointment with the c5 coupe autobox is this: it wont let you spin the tires from a standing start w/out powerbreaking. the engine is good... but auto boxes are smooth, and dictaed by pedal travel... id much rather have my smoothness determined by how much i open the throttle, and in what gear im in they do both handle about the same... on an 25mph on ramp...cornering was slightly better then the C4...i entered the highway @ about 89-90 mph(vs 84mph) 3rd gear... and let off of 4th at about 114

about the interior... i agree
Old 12-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
sentra_dude

Hahah, thanks for the replys guys!

Yea, yea RC, the plain C5 (especially with an auto) is a bit of a hairdresser car, but hey, for someone like me who hasn't driven many fast cars, I was impressed...

Well - firstly, pics or STFU

Secondly, having driven all 3 cars you evaluated, I can't agree on any of your impressions...

You sure you really drove those cars, and not 3 Kias and a Hyundai? hehe
All 3?! What was the third car I drove? hahahha

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
All 3?! What was the third car I drove? hahahha
3 Hyundais and Kia should total about 350hp right?

Well you sat in 2 Rustangs - right?