Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
FordGTGuy

Default 2005 ford gt 1st dyno

FORD GT 565 HP TO THE TIRES
An engineering firm that has been doing development work on a Ford GT, reported that on their chassis dyno, a "well broke in" Ford GT made 565 horsepower to the rear wheels. They went on to say that the car was hazing the tires on the dyno and they believed the real numbers are quite a bit higher.
http://www.mustangweekly.com/2004/ma.../n03-6-3rd.asp

just keeps getting better and better

That article is in the Jan. '04 issue of Car & Driver starting on Page 46. And I do think the 128mph 1/4 pass supports the 565 RWHP claim. Ford "Officially" changed the New GT's HP rating to 550 about a week or so ago, they just didn't say exactly "where" the car made 550HP at!

They also announced that FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) WILL be making Factory performance upgrades for the New GT available in the near future straight thru the Dealerships parts Dept.
-ALLNTRL

I drool at night before I sleep :shock:
Old 12-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
PeleProdigyGTO
Regular User

OK wait.. so the factory rating is 550 HP, but it made 565 to the wheels??? Is this a tuned up car or what?
PeleProdigyGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

apparently 550hp isnt its MAX HP output? but definately makes atleast 550hp somewhere on the rev range?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
FordGTGuy

its a round estimate well remeber at first it was 500 hp est.

They went on to say that the car was hazing the tires on the dyno and they believed the real numbers are quite a bit higher.
and if this is true

They also announced that FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) WILL be making Factory performance upgrades for the New GT available in the near future straight thru the Dealerships parts Dept.
and this I would love to see the new owners can do to make this beast better than perfect
Old 12-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

this is a bit hard to believe, but if its true that would be quite amazing. 565rwhp is somwhere in the vacinity of 600+ at the flywheel correct?? :shock:

maybe they are trying to redeem themselvs after the 1999 cobra screw up
Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
DUNKiNUTS

Hail the KING, Ford GT World's best car
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
gobs3z
Regular User

I guess ford was just being super conservative with there power ratings. It makes the car look better when someone dynos it and says power numbers that are way over the manufacturer power rating. It's good publicity, and pulleys alone will make the car hit 600hp.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:05 AM   #8
rob_e1
Regular User

Good publicity? Yes, but you have to ask WHY?

The ford GT has been on every motoring tv show, every magazine, and is completely sold out. Why do they need more pulicity?

The only reason i can think of why they were conservative with their figures could be to make sure that the car was compared with the 360/430 - if they'd launched it with an advertised 600bhp then maybe it would have got tested against CGT and Enzo? But even that makes no sense, as its priced like a 360/gallardo

Maybe their dyno is broken.. :shock:
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
FordGTGuy

rob_e1 the ford gt was compared with the CGT and the Enzo and it kept up woth them
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
gobs3z
Regular User

I guess it's the best bang for the buck. And they like to test cars that are in certain price ranges, so it would make sence for them to test it against the 430 and Gallardo.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

A couple things.

A GT owner would not be relying on a Dorf Dealership to make ANY changes/mods to their new GT.

Just wouldn't happen - period.

No insult meant to our members who work at dealerships - but I have yet to see a single GM or Ford dealership treat a performance car with respect or knowledge.

Just take 2 minutes of time to review any car forum to see the nightmare stories about abused cars, scratched and damaged bodywork and even bad technical skills.

Now on to the power "claims".

Lets see the numbers owners start actually putting down before we get too caught up in the marketing hype.

It is very easy to "cheat" with a supercharged engine while doing PR dyno runs etc.

The quesiton would be whether Ford would honour a cars warranty after the owner made similar "tweaks" to get the same power the PR car got.

I say PICS or STFU Ford Motor Company...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #12
FordGTGuy

lol good one

but we all know the engine sits right on the transaxle and less power can be disturbed on its way to the wheels.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #13
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
A couple things.

A GT owner would not be relying on a Dorf Dealership to make ANY changes/mods to their new GT.

Just wouldn't happen - period.

No insult meant to our members who work at dealerships - but I have yet to see a single GM or Ford dealership treat a performance car with respect or knowledge.

Just take 2 minutes of time to review any car forum to see the nightmare stories about abused cars, scratched and damaged bodywork and even bad technical skills.

Now on to the power "claims".

Lets see the numbers owners start actually putting down before we get too caught up in the marketing hype.

It is very easy to "cheat" with a supercharged engine while doing PR dyno runs etc.

The quesiton would be whether Ford would honour a cars warranty after the owner made similar "tweaks" to get the same power the PR car got.

Well there are two things here, the first is that the quote that FordGTGuy posted is inaccurate. The vehicle which made 565bhp on a chassis dyno, in fact did do so and was a preproduction mule, not a production-ready vehicle, though I have little doubt that the production cars are putting out similar numbers. The car was driven out of the Wixom Assembly line and down the road to a tuning firm with a 600bhp+ capable chassis dyno, a company which was NOT, I repeat, NOT involved in any way in the GT's development except that somebody with access to the prototype's keys took it down the street and put it on a dyno, AGAINST COMPANY ORDERS. In other words, it wasn't a PR stunt, or at least it wasn't intended to be and it caused a bit of a fiasco inside of Ford.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #14
FordGTGuy

maybe we should ask jeremy clarckson?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

In other words, it wasn't a PR stunt, or at least it wasn't intended to be and it caused a bit of a fiasco inside of Ford.
it was a a bit, as almost immediately after, ford put out 550 hp officially. cirtainly no competition to that Z picture from last month and GM