Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default some Mustang related info

Hau Tai-Tang has been put in charge of SVT... hopefully he will bring some more order to the group.
SVT cobra development IMO is going from bad to worse...

live rear axle? currently just an idea....
ill just say for now that this idea is REALLY bad, and leads to a whole slew of problems.

the 05 convertible (if anyone cares) is for a change, actually more beautiful... the top submerges into the boot. internals are currently pushing for a 'push button' operated hydrolic, and mechanical top.

in retrospec, under some current plans, the next Cobra will be in some ways worse then the current 04 cobra. I am hoping Hau will alleviate these fears of what is going on right now.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

I am loving this Mustang soo much and the droptop isn't too shaby either although I question rear viewability with the top up, it reminds me of the mid 70's cars.
And a live rear axle in the new Cobra would not be very smart. That is one of the things that made the Cobra that much better than the GT. Hell my car has the same damn parts in the rear as a Cobra.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

I refuse to comment on the convertible until Ive driven one... The outgoing v6 convertible had one of the most flexible frames Id ever driven, it was like driving a greased pig.

That is one of the things that made the Cobra that much better than the GT
Do recall that the last cobra independent rear sucked monkey balls for performance applications.. It worked better for smooth riding then the solid rear.. But all the road racers went back to the stick cause of several inherent design flaws.
In otherwords, if the didnt design the system from the ground up with an irs in mind then you may be better off with a stick rear. A better designed stick rear is better then a poorly designed irs. Time and ford engineers are the only ones that can tell the truth at this point.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

well, if it were the same case of the SN95 GT vs Cobra rear end, i would side with Graywolf... however, as i said, this is quickly leading to a slew of problems... particularly relating to everything that connects to the axel save the suspension/wheels. not just relating to handling charactarisitics.

I refuse to comment on the convertible until Ive driven one... The outgoing v6 convertible had one of the most flexible frames Id ever driven, it was like driving a greased pig.
i would cite that i have driven a coupe v6 SN95... albiet, i dont know what your defenition is derectly, but i would say i think it felt like a 'greased pig' too.. and i hated it. i havent driven a GT 'vert... but, you know, i wouldnt ever opt for any drop top because of added weight, less stability, and rigidity.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 AM   #5
blah
Regular User

What happen to Coletti? Come on ford dont fuck up, you are doing so well right now. Come on Bill you can do it.