Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
Zot09
Regular User

Default New Computer

So I plan on building a new desktop this summer, since i'm moving out of my dorm and into an apartment around school where I will have much more space in my room(thank goodness, i'm getting tired of my laptop haha). So anyways, my limit is around $2,500 and I want to use it for gaming/photography. So after going around newegg.com, i've decided on these parts:

-Aspire X-Plorer ATXB8KLW ATX Mid Tower Case
-ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard
-AcBel API4PC23 ATX 12V 500W SLI Power Supply
-XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 GeForce 7600 GT XXX 256MB PCI Express x16 SLI Video Card(two of these)
-Samsung Black CD/DVD/CDRWCombo Drive
-Samsung Black CD/DVD/CDRW/DVD-R Drive w/ LightScribe
-AMD Athlon 54 x2 4200 Manchester 1GHz HT Dual Core 939 Processor
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm Fan
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive(two of these)
-Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys Standard Eclipse Keyboard
-Logitech MX610 Laser Mouse
-Corsair XMS 2GB(2x1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered Ram
-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound(two of these)
-Acer ET.L5209.005 Black 19" Widescreen Monitor
-Creative Sound Blaster ExtremeMusic 7.1 X-Fi Sound Card
-Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speakers

I am wondering if any of you have had any experiences with any of these products, or if you have heard anything. Do you guys recommend I get a certain other product instead of one of the ones i've listed above(for example, a different Nvidia card than the 7600GT listed above)? Are there other things I can do to get more bang for my buck? Thanks ahead of time!

Oh yeah, and I can give you a link to any of the products listed above if you can't find it.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to ask another question. Have any of you had experience with SLI? How does it run? Did it meet your expectations?
EDIT2: Whoops again, will Windows Vista be out around fall 2006?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

1st things first! stay away from Thermaltake!!

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
Zot09
Regular User

Thanks for your answers thamar. I agree that the computer case does look pretty ricey, but it was one of the least riciest ones I could find that had a clear side window on the computer. So when is Vista planned to be released?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
TNT
Regular User

get a mac for your photo work then get a work station for gaming, has limited programs etc. and you can mod it to your likings
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

As for SLI, I have dual 6800 Ultra on my computer. Having two of them DOES make the difference. I disabled one and tried playing Call of Duty 2 at high details and it crapped out. A LOT. After I enabled SLI, I went back in, and it accepted 1680 wide resolution and run fine.

Only problem so far about SLI is that first of all, the game has to be supported, and second of all, being a fairly new technology, sometimes you need to wait for updates when things dont work togeter. Some games take advantage of SLI off the box, some you need patches.

The biggest problem I had so far was that I couldnt run Paint Shop Pro X (or version 9) because the drivers didnt allow me to. All is fixed now.

Just make sure you check for driver updates every month to take the most advantage from your SLI setup.

When the GeForce 8's come out, Ill be switching my 6800 ultras.

As for windows Vista, not sure when its coming out, but the Beta is suxing bad. WIndows install folder is over 3gb! wtf is that?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez_Avital
1st things first! stay away from Thermaltake!!
There is nothing wrong with TT Big Typhoon. Everything else in their line is questionable though. Especially that big water thing .

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Only problem so far about SLI is that first of all, the game has to be supported, and second of all, being a fairly new technology, sometimes you need to wait for updates when things dont work togeter. Some games take advantage of SLI off the box, some you need patches.
Actually SLI works on EVERY game, theoretically. You just have to do something... and I forgot what that something is.

But yeah like thamar said, 2 7600gt will probably net you a 7900gt which is better, I think.

There's also no point in planning on which processor, ram, mobo and cooling you want to get right now. AM2 is supposed to come out in the summer time and that requires ddr2, a different mobo and probably new cooling.

Is there a reason that you have a cdrw and a dvdrw?
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
DeMoN
Regular User

SLI is working all the time (even during windows session) if you have it enabled, but you will see better results if the game supports it. Call of Duty 2 is a perfect example. That game has an SLI enhancer.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
Toronto
Regular User

just get a dell xps600
Old 04-14-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar

- Hello, my PSU died, does my warranty cover this?
- Computer says...No.
sorry!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

Originally Posted by crazidude
There is nothing wrong with TT Big Typhoon. Everything else in their line is questionable though. Especially that big water thing .
no i'm not just talking about that there support worldwide it seems and not just here is SHIT! i mailed them twice and got no answer! FUCK THEM! as soon as this holiday here is over my law suit is on the way! i'm gonna fuck them over so hard they wont fucking belive it! and i dont want my damn 130 bucks or what ever back i want my that plus the time and pain in the ass they gave me back! and that will cost them wayyy more! and my lawyer (uncle :roll: ) says thats perfectly acceptable, so FUCK THERMALTAKE AND THE ASSHOLE IMPORTER! damn mother fuckers! SOBs! god damn just thinking of over the DAMN stock AC of the PRESCOTT (!!) drives me mad!

and you can get a waay better air cool for the same price as the Big Typhoon, and NOT from those assholes!

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Originally Posted by Toronto
just get a dell xps600
- Hello, my PSU died.
- Sorry warranty doesn't cover that
- What will it cost me?
- About €180 excl taxes.

For a 300w PSU.
They rape you if something brakes out of warranty. The guy came to our shop, but since those dells don't follow standards in connectors we resoldered the new psu. He was set for 75€...
you sure it isn't covered by dell. most hardware is if it come installed in the dell.
unless you miss quoted.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #12
DeanGTI
Regular User

Don't buy dell, they are bullying the market so smaller and often better companies cannot afford to keep running. I was recently made redundant because my company couldn't compete with dell. Don't feed the beast. Kill it instead.

'98 Golf GTI 8v
JW Nurburgring Attendee '07
www.walish.co.uk
DeanGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ lol that is funny, you shouldn't tell him not to buy a computer for a lowerprice then most because of it is a Dell.

he is a consumer, he should buy what is best @ the lowest price for him.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
DeanGTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
^^^ lol that is funny, you shouldn't tell him not to buy a computer for a lowerprice then most because of it is a Dell.

he is a consumer, he should buy what is best @ the lowest price for him.
I can tell him what I want to, if he chooses to listen is up to him

'98 Golf GTI 8v
JW Nurburgring Attendee '07
www.walish.co.uk
DeanGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
exhausted mules
Regular User

i bought a dell... and i like it.

it was a "good" price for what i go it for.

i could have saved about 400 bucks building it myself but then,

i would have:

windows xp,
a fully built comp delivered to my door, that you could plug and play.
great customer service. (yes, i said it, they've been patient with me and my negligence in paying my bill in time)

on top of that. its a great design (BTX) with a solid case. if something did break "out of waranty" i dont care who you are.

your paying for it. doesn't matter.

if you think its too expensive to buy from dell. get an aftermarket part that will suit your needs.

when you deal with a big company as such, you deal with convenience, if you know what your doing. you dont buy from dell.

that's why ppl like you dean have problems. its because 90% of the population just wants a comp that's easy and fun to use. dell makes that happen. they know it and are exploiting it. so natually... any computer business going up against that is gonna have some troubles.

if your a gamer, a tweaker or an enthusiast. i wouldn't recomend a prefab. but if your just looking for something that's competitavily priced (its what they do and why they are good at it) then by all means.

get one.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote