Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default So whats the final verdict on GT4?

So now that you all have played it, experianced the hype, how would you rate it? A service pack for GT3? Same old game?

I'm just asking because I was thinking of getting a PS2 and GT4 just for the sake of fast no hastle fun. I didnt. So was it the right thing to do?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Vansquish
Regular User

It's not just a rehashed and mildly sweetened version of GT3...it is quite a lot better. Unfortunately the AI is still pretty marginal, and the graphics...well...I don't have a high-def TV, so the 480i and 1080i modes are more or less useless for me. On the other hand, the chance to race at LeMans, the Nordschleife, Suzuka, Twin Ring Motegi, and a variety of other real racecourses that have been recreated in exacting detail is pretty damned cool. The car selection is huuuge and the fact that you don't have to race the endurance races on your own is a huuuge bonus. On the other hand, since the AI is more or less the same as in GT3 and the game allows you to run heavily modified cars against stock opponents, the game is reasonably easy should you choose to go that route.

I'd recommend getting it. I'm a lame-ass though, I bought a Playstation in '97 for GT, then bought GT2...when GT3 came out in 2001, I bought a PS2 for that and the GT Force wheel as well...now I've got GT4 and the Driving Force Pro...which, if I may say so is well worth the expenditure.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
No.1
Regular User

Well, after the hype and the initial honeymoon period (i think it lasted 4 weeks) i have no desire to return to my PS2 to play it.

It was fun whilst it was new, but then exams and school made me stop playing, but even after those commitments have gone, i haven't played it since

Although, i haven't touched a video game since then anyway, it still seems lacking in the USP which made Gran Turismo.... then the extra cars/features of GT2,... then the extra features of GT3 (and it's PS2 graphics). GT4 has failed to add much to GT3, graphics are better, but that's expected. Car variation is higher, N-Ring is interesting, but the AI is shit.

A bit of a disappointment, but i'm sure i will pick my Dualshock 2 up after writing this 8)
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i've never been obsessed with playing it like some people (i only have 19% completed) But in comparison to GT3 just on graphics and physics alone i would have to say it fulfilled it's hype. But fucking hell did it fall short in other areas.

AI: Still dumb as a rock. I think Asian women can drive better than those cars :roll:

Disappointed that there are still only 5 opponents to smoosh into the track like the bugs they are.

and for fucks sake, why is it they have the option to up the displacement of your engine but none of the cars can use it??? Havent these retards ever heard of a 383 Stroker???? I know you can squeeze more than 248 HP out of a 70 240Z :x

all in all i'd say it only made up about 60% or so of it's hype. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but they really let me down...despite how hard i tried not to get sucked into the hype circles :roll:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

In the final analysis it is GT3.6 not GT4.

For every improvement they made - they drastically screwed soemthing else up. Great photo mode, but rather pathetic replay control.

The exxcellent use of the FF engine and the inclusion of the Northloop and Lesarthe, Tsukaba make it a great, relatively accurate and fun hot lapping game.

I don't bother with AI races - other than to provide slower track day tracffic. I only partcipated long enough to unlock everything and have all options opened. The cars I unlocked with a Gameshark set of cheat codes (and have 99 trillion credits) so don't need to bother finishing the game for special cars.

All in all - if I had to do it again - it is well worth the $20 a used copy costs - but it wasn't really worth the $45 I paid for it.

BTW - I will provide a 99 trillion credit, all-cars unlocked (including zero mile black Lemans cars, and no-stripe Ford GT's) game for download if y'all want.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Beppe
Regular User

Just a question: if I download your save, how can I put it in my Memory Card?
Beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
SnakeBitten
Regular User

For some reason GT3 was more fun to me....I love the addition of the Nurburgring, Le Sarthe et al. That made the game for me...Myu problems with the game that make it a letdown:

1. The aforementioned pathetic AI

2. They disabled the ability to change wheels on ALL racecars..GT3 allowed you to change any cars rims except the F1 cars. Also you still cant change to different tire compounds for the F1 cars...Very dissapointing.

3. Spec B was promising addition...That is until you see that wheather your Spec B driver has 0 or 100 stats he still is unable to decide how to pass some one slower ON A FREAKIN STRAIGHTAWAY.. :bad-words: I cant tell you how many times he has come barrelling down on a slower car on Le Sarthe or any tracks straightaways, and just rams into the slower cars back. Then it brakes then spends like 5 mins trying to decide which side to pass on. It doesnt matter iif its a wide or skinny road. BTW it seems to always choose the wrong side to pass on. I find myself wishing the programer was in my room at such moments to freakin unscrew his head and beat him/her with it :bad-words:

4. The rims are pathetic. They look like tissue paper cutouts when you see it in game. Flat one-dimentional jagged textures..Looks good in the shop but on the track its horrible.

5. Original tracks. minor nitpick..What happened to Red Canyon? I cant be the only one wishing to see this track again..It was one of the most fun from GT1.

6. The engine sounds for some of the cars were just atrocious..Some big blocks sound like 4cyl etc...The rumble from the v8 were just not loud enough..Ever heard a fully modded Cobra R..disgusting.

Overall its a great game but not that big a leap from GT3 imo. Its a tweaked version of GT3 at best..And the tweaking seems to be mostly cosmetic oriented and physics-wise. Seems they forgot about making the AI challenging and actually able to lap faster then a turtle. I too would like to see more than 6 cars per race but with current tech Im sure there would have been a graphical tradeoff to make this happen.

Could you imagine if they actuall made the Le Sarthe circuit to be run like an actual Le Mans race? 3 differnt classes competing on one track. That is what I was anticipating when I first heard of Le Sarthe being added so I was very dissapointed. Were it not for the Nurburgring, Le Sarthe et al I would still be playing GT3. It was just more fun for some reason.

BTW the Skyline is the only car Ive seen whose displacement can be modified. But it only adds like 10-15hp :roll:
Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Daggernite
Regular User

I was dissapointed with GT4 to be honnest. They put very few actually decent featured in GT4, but left out alot on mail features which came standard with GT3. Why can't I have fullscreen multiplayer replay? why cant i save the replay? I bloody well could on GT3, why not GT4. Also forget the A.I, the physics suck!!! the car acts like its on rails, your tail will never slide out, and if it some how does, the car freaks out and flys off the road, and thats not my lack of skill, its just dumb physics.
There's no dening that the graphics and tracks are superior, but I'd rather play Enthusia which handles alot more relistic, even tho its graphics are just abit under par with GT4.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
exhausted mules
Regular User

Originally Posted by Daggernite
I was dissapointed with GT4 to be honnest. They put very few actually decent featured in GT4, but left out alot on mail features which came standard with GT3. Why can't I have fullscreen multiplayer replay? why cant i save the replay? I bloody well could on GT3, why not GT4. Also forget the A.I, the physics suck!!! the car acts like its on rails, your tail will never slide out, and if it some how does, the car freaks out and flys off the road, and thats not my lack of skill, its just dumb physics.
There's no dening that the graphics and tracks are superior, but I'd rather play Enthusia which handles alot more relistic, even tho its graphics are just abit under par with GT4.
wow. i would have said the car is easier to slide and control once its started.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I completely forgot about the soundtrack :roll: JET?!?!?!?! WTF were they thinking?! Papa Roach is getting fucking old.

Judas Priest..Fuckin cool 8) But sorry, one band out of the whole track is just pitiful.

I would love it if you could import your own playlist from your computer so that you can decide on the best driving music. IMO that would make the game 10x better.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

I love the NS in GT4, but the game overall is quite boring. The AI sux as usual, the physics engine is much much better than the one in GT3 but I still can't do a proper donut

I have completed 60 something percent of the game, but I lost my will to finish it, but I still drive the ring everyday for fun.

Improvement areas:
AI, engine sound, donuts, useless tuners area (how about some real market parts), need night races (especially in 24 hr endurance), offer different weather, and ONLINE gameplay.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
jorge
Regular User

I donīt know what, but i think GT4 lost something that GT3 had. I played GT3 for years and it never bored me, with GT4 i play 5 minutes and then all i want to do is turn it off
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #13
malte
Regular User

I dont know how they made the engine noise for the cars in the game, but i am surprised how big a difference there is in the realism, for instance the RUF RGT and the TVR speed 12 are quite accurate (they are lackin in bass but then again everything does) and then theres the SLR... it sounds like my toaster still im at 94% completed and think that it's the best game i've ever bought, just the fact that Tom K Laps exactly 2-5sec of his real time at le sarthe :shock: and Alonso plays it...
Old 07-23-2005, 02:02 AM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
I love the NS in GT4, but the game overall is quite boring. The AI sux as usual, the physics engine is much much better than the one in GT3 but I still can't do a proper donut
Thats the hillarious part. They call it a hard core simulation and you cant do a donut in it.............LOL! Can you do a burnout at least?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM   #15
5vz-fe
Regular User

Nope, u can't even do a smoky burnout, it's just tire slipping noise that make u think u are doing one.....<sigh>.

Nice sig btw SFDMALEX