Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
pagani
Regular User

Default A Hot rodding/road racing legend(Max Balchowsky)

Real ferrari and maserati killers with buick v8 power!!
The legend old yeller.
Max Balchowsky.
It only cost $1500 to build old yellerII!!

Nobody is more deserving of a page on this site than Max & Ina Balchowsky. Together, this husband and wife team built the Ol' Yaller cars that defined this era of California racing.

The Ol' Yaller legend began when Max and partner Eric Hauser acquired a Special built by Dick Morgenson of Phoenix, Arizona. Max applied his skills, modifying and upgrading almost every part of the car, and created a potent threat for overall wins.

Max in fast company at Palm Springs in #70 Ol' Yaller Mk.1.
Carroll Shelby drives the huge Maserati 450S #98, and Dick Morgenson #46 is in his next project, a Devin-bodied Special.

Here's Max at Santa Barbara in Ol' Yaller Mk.I. He shared the driving with his then- partner, Eric Hauser.
With this car and other Ol' Yallers to follow, Max showed that guile, intelligence, sound engineering and "Cubic inches" could often defeat "Cubic money" on the racetrack.

In l959. Max and Hauser parted company. Max put the Buick engine into his new car, Ol' Yaller Mk.II. He claims to have spent only $1456.72 to build this beast.
While still crude-looking, Ol' Yaller Mk.II was a well-designed, well- developed threat for overall wins against all comers. Bob Drake, shown below at Santa Barbara in 1960, had many memorable drives in the car.

Drake finished 2nd to Bill Krause's Birdcage and ahead of Augie Pabst's ultra-potent "Meister Brauser" Scarab at the 1960 Riverside Grand Prix.
Dan Gurney and Carroll Shelby also drove Ol' Yaller Mk.II. Gurney declared it "The best handling car I've ever driven". (This must have been before the Arciero-entered Lotus Mk.19 appeared.)

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...sky1.html#Max1
http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...sky2.html#Max2
http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...sky3.html#Max3
:shock:
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
pagani
Regular User

Found some more pics of old yeller II.

:shock: 8)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
blah
Regular User

Speed channel did a show on these cars a few months back. So bad ass.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
Guibo
Regular User

Yeah, I saw that show. Amazing. He built the tube frame by first drawing the layout in chalk on his garage floor. Then he welded the tubes right on top of the drawing, to dimensions. I'm surprised it could travel in a straight line.
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
pagani
Regular User

Has any the show on his computer or has a link of it??
I love this kind of cars.
Carroll shelby has driven old yeller II!
8)