Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Why wont Apple make a PDA?

Seeing how everybody is buing IPODs like hot cakes why wont Apple make a PDA with their own little OS?

Currently the market is all about portable devices, seeing apples success with the Ipod(Ipod Mini) it's a perfect time to make such a product.

Any ideas?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
pharzo
Regular User

Well they used to make one. The newton. It was great...i had one.

But really...with Palm OS and Pocket PC on the market...what could apple really offer?

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo
Well they used to make one. The newton. It was great...i had one.

But really...with Palm OS and Pocket PC on the market...what could apple really offer?
What do they have to offer in any sector now? Nothing. But they are still selling.

As RC would say, pooftas and hairdressers would buy it over a Pocket PC just becase its Apple.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
AlienDB7
Regular User

It's actually a smart move on Apple's part. The PDA market isn't growing as fast as it used to. Eventually people will just buy "Smart phones" to replace their PDAs. Blackberry is a good example.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

I used to have a Psion Handheld about 12+ years ago. The reason I chose it over the Newton at the time, because the Newton was "cool" - but about as useful as trying to use a fork as a spoon.

A keyborad is way easier to use than a stylus interface. Oh - and there ere way more applications for the Psion than the Newton.

Apple is really not into anything but fad products

The reason I don't have a PDA or Handheld (even a Blackberry) these days - is because you are really no more productive with it than wihtout it.

People have generated this false sense of "productivity" simply because they are "always busy" and "always connected" - but seldom get more done that folks who sit down at there desk and churn out tasks

Oh - and one more thing, why would I want some jackass calling me on a Saturday or Sunday when I am spnding quality time with the family heheh
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
pharzo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I used to have a Psion Handheld about 12+ years ago. The reason I chose it over the Newton at the time, because the Newton was "cool" - but about as useful as trying to use a fork as a spoon.

A keyborad is way easier to use than a stylus interface. Oh - and there ere way more applications for the Psion than the Newton.

Yeah i had my Newton about 5 years ago though...

when it was launched i was about 7 so...i was productive enough without it

I actually prefered the interface to the psion...the psion was a bit bulky. With the whole fold out keyboard thing...kinda lame. I still think the newton had the best handwriting recognition software ever...better than the clie i had 3 years ago, and better than the ipaq i have now. I can understand the thing about applications though...but by the time i got mine, it had this really massive cult following, so there were tons of apps for it.

The reason I don't have a PDA or Handheld (even a Blackberry) these days - is because you are really no more productive with it than wihtout it.
PDA's are usefull for taking notes in class, reading the news, and browsing the net when nothing else is available (coffee shop). It's really dumb as an appointment book or to store contacts though

RC45 about the Z06:
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\Well I have a Clie which I use for games whilst on the subway, and music...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

^^^ I use the default Bejeweled game on my cell phone when I am in the crapper...

Originally Posted by pharzo
I can understand the thing about applications though...but by the time i got mine, it had this really massive cult following, so there were tons of apps for it.
My dad used his Psion for flight planning in the cockpit for the longest time.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^^ I use the default Bejeweled game on my cell phone when I am in the crapper...
did we really needed to know that??

I have a clie, and I used to be more productive at school...playing games during lectures, conferences, etc.

but now that I don't have that many things to do, my cellphone does the right thing
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by AlienDB7
It's actually a smart move on Apple's part. The PDA market isn't growing as fast as it used to. Eventually people will just buy "Smart phones" to replace their PDAs. Blackberry is a good example.
Steve Jobs' been quoted to say exactly that. He thinks as devices become more and more intergrated the PDAs will eventually see their demise.

And that's exactly right, if you look at the "pure" PDA market it has been slowing down quite significantly.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #11
antonioledesma
Regular User

pda's as we know them will change (omfg!! I'm really smart ), because no one wants to carry a pda and cellphone. And some years ago ppl had in their pockets pda's with no mp3, cells, and mp3 players.
I would pay for a small device that is a pda, cell, mp3 player, digital camera, and x-ray device
Old 07-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
pharzo
Regular User

I would pay for a small device that is a pda, cell, mp3 player, digital camera, and x-ray device
Yes, but you inherently compromise certain features. I would rather have a great cellphone, that is small, with great battery life and a powerful antenna, but with no camera. Same goes for camera's and mp3 players. In my mind all the seperate devices are much better than if you make a "one size fits all" kinda device

It's like a swiss army knife. Sure it has a pen, corkscrew, screwdriver, saw, scissors, pliers, and that weird hook thing that has no use. But i'd still rather use a real pen, normal size corkscrew, a big saw, proper pliers...and a really big hook

RC45 about the Z06:
Old 07-30-2005, 01:39 AM   #13
antonioledesma
Regular User

of course I understand that, but I don't like carrying my camera, cell, mp3, etc.
you can have your swiss army knife with you, but you can still have a decent set of tools in your house or car.
It's for daily use. Why go to the tool shed or garage, look for the proper tool, carry it to... you know . It's better to only reach for your swissknife, and the job is done

even if I had a multi-purpouse cell-mp3-gps-digicam-videocam-radio fm-compass-anything you want thing; I still would have my $700 usd slr digital camera, a decent $500 usd video cam, etc
you can have the little boy's toy and the big boy's toy
Old 07-30-2005, 02:17 AM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah right now, what I really want would be a phone the size of Motorola's V3 with a 2 or even 3 MP Camera. I like all the features in the V3. Maybe make it a bit more customizable.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #15
Toronto
Regular User

apple are working on new cellphones