Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Zot09
Regular User

Default Folding @ Home

I was browsing Club Lexus a few weeks ago, and found this post on how individuals like us can help run cancer research. I thought it was a pretty good idea, so I PM'd the guy and asked if he could post all the information on JW. He PM'd me back and said he was already a member, but just told me to quote what he wrote down. He even made a group number(53072) for us.

Here's what he wrote on CL:

Hey zot, sorry for the late reply.

I'm also a member at jabbasworld, don't post often though.

Perhaps you could just copy paste the information, making a team is really easy.

If you're up for it, I can just create the team for you and give you the team number.

Infact I already made it
I just created a team for FerrariChat, X5world, and mbWorld. I'll be creating teams for a lot of other forums as well. I think it'd be cool to have a cross car company competition for saving the world

A lot of folks don't know what I'm talking about. Well, here is a summary. I'm talking about Folding@Home. Folding@Home is a project helped out by Stanford to fold proteins. Folding proteins defined by google is ..

protein folding: the process whereby a protein molecule assumes its intricate three-dimensional shape; "understanding protein folding is the next step in deciphering the genetic code"
So basically, we're helping scientists to discover new things about our genetic code. This could help cure a large amount of diseases!! It just uses your spare CPU cycles! You can't even tell it's working, I've been involved in distributed computing projects for the last few years now without any negative drawbacks!

So, let's get started shall we?
I went ahead and created a www.ClubLexus.com Folding@Home team.

Now we have to download the client and setup the program so the ClubLexus team gets credit!

ClubLexus.com team number is 45435.

My next post will be a tutorial on setting up the program.
Here is the tutorial. I had typed up something nice but my computer crashed. If you have any questions, e-mail me or PM me.

First thing we need to do is download the installation file. You can do that by going to this link

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

And find your operating systems link.
As a quickie, if you use Windows XP and you are not the best at comptuers, I suggest you download at this link.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/[email protected]

Then run the program and install it. Use all the default settings until you get the the screen that has two options.

1) Run Installed Application (or something like that)
2) Read the readme.

There should be a filled in checkbox next to each one. Uncheck the one next to the second option (the readme) and press Finish or Next, whatever it says.

Then another page should come up that looks like the attached picture.

You'll want to put in your ClubLexus.com username instead of vraa, and instead of 0 put in 45435 so that ClubLexus.com gets the credit.

You can check the other tabs for different options, but the stuff we have put in right now are pretty good.

After you press okay, it'll look like the screen disappears. Just go to your taskbar, and you'll see a red flower thingy. Double click that, and a really cool screen will come up. That's the proteins being downloaded and processed.

You're on your way to helping solve diseases!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...ghlight=cancer

I plan on installing this program once I get back down to school, where I will leave my laptop attached to a LAN line, unlike here at home where I take it around with me a lot. I just thought it might be something JW would be interested in, since practically everyone on here seems to be a kind and giving person.

Of course, just replace "Club Lexus" with "Jabbasworld" and "45435" with "53072" when reading the previous quotes.

Hope a lot of you decide to help!

-Brian
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

I am all for this - except when they finally crakc the human genome" and get a cure for cancer, we won't see a dime of the 4 bazillion trillion squillion dollars they make.. and it is for this selfish reason I will never participate in these programs.

Even the argument "but you may help cure the cancer you contract one day is moot.. as I will still have to pay 500,000 dollars to get the treatment
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
666fast
Regular User

I wonder how much info Jabbas supercomputer could crunch?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I am all for this - except when they finally crakc the human genome" and get a cure for cancer, we won't see a dime of the 4 bazillion trillion squillion dollars they make.. and it is for this selfish reason I will never participate in these programs.

Even the argument "but you may help cure the cancer you contract one day is moot.. as I will still have to pay 500,000 dollars to get the treatment
But we have cracked the human genome RC. At least most of it haha

I do agree with part of your views, it is unfair that pharmaceutical/biomedical companies will make billions, if not trillions, of dollars from the discovery of the cure for cancer. But when it comes to things like this, I believe it is unfair to hold a selfish view towards it. You have to look at it with open eyes, and think of the greater good. Yes, we won't make money from it, yes we will still have to pay to get treatment, BUT at least there will be a more effective treatment. Millions of lives could be saved, which could one day be you or a loved one(*Knocks on Wood*). I hope nothing like this ever happens to anyone.

I saw first hand what cancer can do to an individual, my Grandfather passed away from lung cancer. It is not a pretty sight at all. All I could do was just sit back and watch what chemotherapy, and his drugs, did to him. It eventually got to the point where he was just to weak to do anything, and he would have to lie in bed all day long.

I do hope you reconsider your views on this topic RC, please.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
But when it comes to things like this, I believe it is unfair to hold a selfish view towards it. You have to look at it with open eyes, and think of the greater good. Yes, we won't make money from it, yes we will still have to pay to get treatment, BUT at least there will be a more effective treatment.
And again - how does that actually help the millions?

It would only help if the "cure" was given away - and it won't be

That "greater good" is not really being served... but if it makes you feel good.. by all means... remember how good you feel when you see the drug compnay exec take delivery of his 65th Veyron hehe
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
Zot09
Regular User

Whoa, I didn't know that. Pretty cool!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
Zot09
Regular User

But when it comes to things like this, I believe it is unfair to hold a selfish view towards it. You have to look at it with open eyes, and think of the greater good. Yes, we won't make money from it, yes we will still have to pay to get treatment, BUT at least there will be a more effective treatment.
And again - how does that actually help the millions?

It would only help if the "cure" was given away - and it won't be

That "greater good" is not really being served... but if it makes you feel good.. by all means... remember how good you feel when you see the drug compnay exec take delivery of his 65th Veyron hehe
I'm not in anyway trying to say that your views are wrong RC, just thought I should say that. I'm just trying to persuade you with my views.

Yes, I understand that it won't "help" in one sense if the cure is not given away. I believe that it is wrong that drug companies make so much money off of drugs, yet you don't hear of them using some of that profit to help give people who can't afford the drug, the drug. Maybe even through this process, treatment could become even more affordable, and maybe someday this treatment could be given away for free.

How does this help the millions? It helps the millions that have fought, and will fight cancer through medical treatment. Either way, people are going to pay for a treatment. If you were that person, wouldn't you rather pay for a treatment that is more likely to cure you or a loved one, than the one that is less likely to cure you or that loved one?

It's sad that one must buy their ticket for a cure, that there is a financial price for life, and I wish that it wasn't the case. I wish that every family struggling to support a loved one with an illness did not have to have that financial burden on them. I wish that people in third world countries could recieve the drugs that they need for free. Maybe someday that can happen through improvements in biotechnology, and I hope that that day does eventually come.

But like I said earlier RC, until that day comes, wouldn't you rather pay for treatment that is much more likely to cure you than treatment that is less likely to cure you? *knock on wood*

Life is precious, and I believe that we must try the best we can to make our lives, and others lives, as painless and long-lasting as possible.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Life is precious, and I believe that we must try the best we can to make our lives, and others lives, as painless and long-lasting as possible.
I am not belittling your view and sentiment which is very noble.. and I wouldn't try change it, but having "consulted" over the last 20 years I can say that "they are all in it for themselves.. but will gladly take your charity without thanks"..
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Zot09
Regular User

I am not belittling your view and sentiment which is very noble.. and I wouldn't try change it, but having "consulted" over the last 20 years I can say that "they are all in it for themselves.. but will gladly take your charity without thanks"..
:fist: hahaha j/k

EDIT: Please don't ban me...hahaha
Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
Zot09
Regular User

Bump
Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
gigdy
Regular User

un bump
Old 12-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
Zot09
Regular User

Wow...I expected a greater response from a community such as JW...guess I was wrong to assume :roll:
Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
Skaala
Regular User

Wow...I expected a greater response from a community such as JW...guess I was wrong to assume :roll:
I've been crunching numbers , but this post went by me
Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
ae86_16v
Regular User

Did you guys see the Stats on the PS3 Folding @ Home. It absolutely crushed everything else. Looks like that Emotion Chip in the PS3 is pretty damn powerful.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote