Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: Can money buy you happiness?
Yes 43 62.32%
No 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2003, 12:13 AM   #16
volvoman

any financial worries are created by you anyway. you are the one that decides to buy that big screen tv and have the interest accumulate on your credit card, if anyone has financial worries then they are spending more than what they can afford and heve themselves to blame.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 AM   #17
stracing
Regular User

i was thinking more on the lines of providing a house, education, food and medicine. those are my biggest worries, not worried about not affording that ferrari.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 AM   #18
cho_888
Regular User

a money can buy you pleasure and it can by you "fun"but that soon wears of and dosnt leave you happy. but on the other hand it can buy you love in the form of a ferrari!
Old 10-31-2003, 04:47 AM   #19
WhiteP
Regular User

Yes, when I have nothing to worry, my parents' health, my own's health, their relationship....

I think money can only make you "happier" but not "happy"...
if people isn't in good health, even they have so much money.. they can only be happier because they don't need to worry about money.. overall they still aren't happy at all...

health, relationship, all the same...
WhiteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:03 PM   #20
Wide
Regular User

For me yes..
When u got the money u can buy everything that makes u happy happy and happy.. Cars houses sex etc.. Everything..
The point is this.. Everybody is smilin at your face because of your money.. And u are deceivin your self with money again..
I choose yes because livin in this style is nearly better than the living with the other lifestyles.. Like bein poor or somethin else..
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:43 PM   #21
Fluxlo
Regular User

I very much agree with justin.

Money can fill your need (want) for material possessions, houses, cars, boats, jewelery, etc. But in life what do you get the most happiness out of (rather what do you get true happiness out of)? For example, i just bought a new set of speakers for my computer for around 200$, and they're fantastic, they're satisfying to listen to, but it's not like i bought them and all of a sudden i was alot happier. Yes I can really enjoy music, and piss off my floormates but other then that...what do i get out of em? Not happiness. I get happiness out of socializing (drinking heavily) with my friends on the floor, spending time with em, etc etc. Though I am only a university student (which means (at least 99% of the time) i'm far from rich), I think my point of view is acceptable.
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:16 PM   #22
BADMIHAI
Regular User

The thing is....when you have lots of money you just want MORE anyways! So that 360 will not make you happy, because it's not an Enzo and so on. And that Enzo will not make you happy because it's not a Ferrari GTO....

Happyiness comes from inside!
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:33 PM   #23
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
The thing is....when you have lots of money you just want MORE anyways! So that 360 will not make you happy, because it's not an Enzo and so on. And that Enzo will not make you happy because it's not a Ferrari GTO....

That's your point of view There are lot of ppl able to appreciate "even" a Modena and IMO money doesn't makes you a monster only wanting more..

And sure, happiness comes from inside, but when you have lot of money you still have your "inside" part

And to act like money is completely useless and to say it's better to be copletely poor but lovely inside seems to me a very hypocrite behaviour...

It's always better to be beautiful, rich and healty instead of ugly, poor and sick...
TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #24
Johns
Regular User

I dont know about u guys but I rather live an unhappy life with money up the ass then, broke and happy 0X
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:00 PM   #25
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI

No disrespect or anything but considering your only 16 years old I cannot understand how your such an expert on this subject already....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:19 PM   #26
deth
Regular User

i cant say that i have much more experience than badmihai, but does that mean that children are never happy, seeing as they just live off their parents?

IMO there is an age at which one becomes conscious of external wants/needs and from then on happiness is proportional. Some ppl never reach this ie hippies right? one of the best quotes i can remember relating to this topic is "happiness is contentment" or in other words being happy with what you have adandtnotanting more, not necessarily material goods but more so state of mind and body. I'm sure one can argue that you be content with buying more things, but are those pupurchasesoing to improve your standard of living after a certain point or will it make life a little more meaningless? I believe that money is essentially a reward for people who work hard.

to sum it up...and sorry for the rambling..even i'm not too sure what i was talking bout.... money can buy temporary happiness, but lasting happiness comes from within.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #27
BADMIHAI
Regular User

And to act like money is completely useless and to say it's better to be copletely poor but lovely inside seems to me a very hypocrite behaviour...
I didn't say money is useless. We all "need" it....I was just underlining that having alot of money doesn't make you happy. Out of all the rich people I know (friends of my dad's) and theyr kids (especially theyr kids-I know them better than I do theyr parents), none of them seem happy. On the contrary, they're depressed. That's another reason why I'm not with my dad right now. He didn't really have too much time for me anymore. Always on a business trip and shit like that. And even he told me that altough his dream was to make lots of money, when he saw it come through, he didn't feel happy to be rich.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #28
TT
Regular User

Sure, have a busy life to gain money is maybe consuming, but it's not the money that makes ppl unappy or very busy.. it's basically their job... usually when somebody win some millions at the lottery, he is pretty happy afaik...
Old 10-31-2003, 04:05 PM   #29
volvoman

and no one is saying that beiong poor is best.

why not having a middle income, $60,000-$100,000 will make me happy. and you wont be spoiled by tons of money.

dreamin of a large amount of wealth and wanting it is not happiness.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:51 PM   #30
TT
Regular User

Yeh, and that is already considered "money"... in my first post I wasn't referring at big amount of money at all

I'd sign anyway to have 100'000 USD/year