Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default If I didn't have bad luck....

I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I was laid off today. I must say they have real good timing. Christmas is all of a month away! :x
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
antonioledesma
Regular User

oooops
sorry to hear that
did they mentioned at least a good reason or the usual cuts??
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Don't sweat it man. There is good in every bad. Maybe this way you can focus on school. Isn't that what you wanted to do anyway?
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Anonymous

Damn sorry mate, absolutely the worst time they could have picked too...... not that there is ever a good time
Old 11-22-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
crayzayjay
Regular User

I dont know your situation but that's sad to hear

I'm fearing the sack myself. My employer has announced it will be cutting jobs in the new year, and having been there only two years i would cost them very little in compensation relative to others who've been there much longer...

Anyway, that's life. Obstacle after obstacle. Good luck finding a new job.

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
nchs09

ya that is sad to hear man... good luck finding another job..... soon hopefully too!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
666fast
Regular User

Don't sweat it man. There is good in every bad. Maybe this way you can focus on school. Isn't that what you wanted to do anyway?
Yes, it is what I want to do. The only problem is that school isn't free. There is no way I could go to school and not have a job.

I dont know your situation but that's sad to hear
Sadly it isn't good. My hours were cut awhile ago, so I've been making less money than normal for awhile. Which means I haven't got much in my savings. I need a job and I need one quick. If I don't find a job real soon, I'll have to cut down my bills as much as possible. Which might mean getting rid of internet access for awhile.

did they mentioned at least a good reason or the usual cuts??
Just the usual cutbacks.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Fuck, that really sucks, hope you'll find something else and better...

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

That blows man, hopefully you can find something quick. even if it is something to pay the bills. Hate to suggest this, but i know UPS and FedEx always need temp help for the holidays. they pay pretty decent and you only have to work for a few hours. might help to get by.

Good luck dude, hope it works out quickly for you.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #10
novass
Regular User

Fuck man, im sorry to hear that. I hope you find something soon.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

well, if you were around here, hiring is in no shortage for retail...
getting laid off really sucks... particularly massively while going to school, so it is impossible to recieve unemployment.

i hate to suggest it, but student loans will pay for housing offen.

good luck, may your jobless time be short
Old 11-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #12
Regular User

did u get any compensation? all the company in australia are scared to layoff staff because of all the vigorous lawyers
Old 11-22-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
CSedl87
Regular User

Shit man, sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out well for you!
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:10 AM   #14
Vansquish
Regular User

I'm sorry to hear that man, terrible news, but I guess like the others have said, there's light at the end of the tunnel. May your job search be fruitful Anyway, since you're trying to focus on school, have you thought about trying to find a research position at school? Sometimes they pay pretty well, I've got friends making anywhere between 8.50 and 22.50 an hour here at Umich, just depends on the job. I know that's not terrific money, but it's something to help pay the bills.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #15
666fast
Regular User

Thanks everyone!

did u get any compensation? all the company in australia are scared to layoff staff because of all the vigorous lawyers
I can file for unemployment, but I'm not entirely sure I would get it. Since my hours were cut, I haven't been working full time, so I might not even qualify. It's not something I'd want to do anyway. I'd have to pay taxes on it, even then, I doubt it would be enough to cover my bills. You only get a percentage of what you earn. I forget how it's calculated.

well, if you were around here, hiring is in no shortage for retail...
It's the same here, sad thing is it's usually temporary and part time. I need a full time job. I will however be applying at many department stores and such. Any income is better than no income.

cutting bills isnt always a bad thing, but dude internet got to be the last thing to go, you cant leave us either......
Most of my bills can't be cut, thats the problem. The biggest problem is my rent. With my hours being cut, my rent just about eats up my monthly income. So after all my bills are paid, my savings account is rather low!
Moving back home is not something I want to do, but may become neccessary. The only thing I'm very happy about, is that I have zero credit card debt. I paid off the full balance at the beginning of the month!

You don't have to worry about me leaving JW, it'll never happen!
I can always go to a friends and use the computer or go to my mothers. But if the internet has to go, it has to go. I'll still be around, just not nearly as much. It won't be permanent either, once the bak account says "ok", I'll be back to my normal posting habits. (hopefully without 56k LOL)

Anyway, since you're trying to focus on school, have you thought about trying to find a research position at school? Sometimes they pay pretty well, I've got friends making anywhere between 8.50 and 22.50 an hour here at Umich, just depends on the job. I know that's not terrific money, but it's something to help pay the bills.
At the moment, I'll take anything I can get. Even if it means 60+ hours at a gas station! I'll be out all day tomorrow filling out applications anywhere that will allow me to. I suppose that means driving around St. Paul in the afternoon. Not looking forward to that!

As much as this sucks, I'm glad it's happened now and not when I'm 40 years old with children to support. I suppose there is no gaurantee it won't happen at that time of my life, but I'd rather it happen now while I'm still young and without much debt.