Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Bernardo
Regular User

Default GT-R V spec Hits the ring in 7:25!

The new Nissan GT-R is already a modern day classic, a statement proven by the fact that Nissan UK received 700 orders in just 48 hours when they opened their order books. Nissan UK is trying to convince Nissan HQ to allocate more units to the British Isles, but since Nissan can only (hand) build 1,000 engines per month it seems unlikely that the request will be granted.

In the meantime, Nissan has quietly shipped a light-weight and heavy hitting GT-R V-Spec to the Nurburgring for testing. Where the regular GT-R boasts 480 hp, this turbocharged V-Spec should see at least 550 hp and is capable of a 7:25 Nurburgring laptime, 18 seconds faster than the GT-R.

The Nissan GT-R V-Spec prototype features a revised front splitter, additional air intake slits (presumably for extra brake cooling), new six-spoke wheels and what seems to be a new braking system. Upon closer inspection of the brakes, our spy photographer thinks that a carbon-ceramic brake set-up seems most likely.

We expect that the Nissan GT-R V-Spec will be shedding 150kg in comparison to the GT-R, not exactly in the featherweight class, through the use of various carbon fibre body panels and weight saving technologies. For one, the rear wing is taped up on this prototype leading us to believe that this is one of the carbon-fibre components.

Source: Automedia

I don't know who gave this time to the car, If It was Nissan Itself or someone measuring at the time, but I doubt that..since the Carrera GT did It In 7:28, which has more outright power and also power to weight ratio, lower centre of gravity, and lower weight.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
toffytofik
Regular User

Apparently the time was measured by the spy shooters, anyway that's just rumors. Nissan didn't claim anything yet. They just began testing it, experimenting with the set-up.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
madpony
Regular User

The normal GTR has worse power to weight ratio than all the cars it beat around the ring as well. It's a cornering car.
madpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
04RCSTI
Regular User

I told you all this was coming..
Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
styla21
Regular User

The car looks great - and I love seeing weight-reduction being used as a feature in refining a sportscar. It is a true, and real performance addition (subtraction?), not some fancy marketing gimmick (carbon mirrors aside..).

But, I cannot accept that the V-spec will do a 7:25 lap time. It's physics defying, and on a comparable analysis to cars in that performance band, just cannot be compared (or justified).

Afterall though, it's not as if the opinions of some blazee photographers quantify factual timing.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
rusrocket
Regular User

does anyone have a table of 'Ring record times for production cars?
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
graywolf624
Regular User

The normal GTR has worse power to weight ratio than all the cars it beat around the ring as well. It's a cornering car.
Once it got off shaved race tires it didnt.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Just let them have their fun.... all the while you pass them on the track, and on the street
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

I bet the GT-R badge provide extra aerodynamic efficiency and extra power. More importantly, it also provide anti gravity to counter it's own weight.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
I bet the GT-R badge provide extra aerodynamic efficiency and extra power. More importantly, it also provide anti gravity to counter it's own weight.
Those of us with the Sony Europe copies of GT5 Prologue, now have the GT-R Story HD movies in english (the Japanese copy of the game has Japanese HD movies ) - and includes Nurburgring laps etc.

Hopefully they will appear in HD on MW soon so everyone can enjoy them.

I was really surprised at how slow the GT-R sounds and looks, even though it is going quite quickly, maybe the badges do allow it to defy the laws of physics in our dimension
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by rusrocket View Post
does anyone have a table of 'Ring record times for production cars?
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...s_of_road_cars

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
This is by far the most popular argument used to explain GTR' quickness. RE07R Potenzas aren't race tires.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
madpony
Regular User

*Someone posts more numbers/articles/reviews/tests of the GTR*

"OMG NO WAI CONSPIRACY. PHYSICS, PHYSICS, PHYSICS! STICKY TIRES. ALL CAR PERFORMANCE IS ON A LINEAR PROGRESSION WITH ALL OTHER CARS AND PLATFORMS BASED ON POWER/WEIGHT RATIO."
madpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by toffytofik View Post
This is by far the most popular argument used to explain GTR' quickness. RE07R Potenzas aren't race tires.
No they are not - but the superquick time was set with cut slicks - Nissan test team admitted as such already.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by madpony View Post
"OMG NO WAI CONSPIRACY. PHYSICS, PHYSICS, PHYSICS! STICKY TIRES. ALL CAR PERFORMANCE IS ON A LINEAR PROGRESSION WITH ALL OTHER CARS AND PLATFORMS BASED ON POWER/WEIGHT RATIO."
Reasoning. If you can't get past that, I don't know what to say. These lap times weren't verified or replicated by independent testers. Besides, we've been correct so far, as the GT-R makes whole lot more power than claimed.

The GT-R cannot bend the rules of physics. It's not a miracle car that somehow gets an exemption from common sense. But as we can clearly see, Nissan can lie about the car to make it look better.

Until Nissan officially makes the claim about the GT-R V-Spec lap times, I say hold your breath. Although, I can't trust Nissan anymore, and they just might use this particular lap time they just found on the web.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
No they are not - but the superquick time was set with cut slicks - Nissan test team admitted as such already.
Every single lap (including the best lap of 7:38) was done with stock car on stock tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE070R RFT) and Nissan never confirmed otherwise. AFAIK, rumor that car was running "cut slicks" was started by PistonHeads and proven to be false later on.

Last edited by toffytofik; 04-10-2008 at 02:01 PM.