Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

I do prefer the Civic from this group so far as well....although the clio is a great car, and very accomplished in every aspect that requires a hot hatch (alongside the Pug 206 GTI 180), the 20bhp of disadvantage against the civic, and the lack of a six speed gearbox doesnt compensate my preferance for the civic
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #17
cooperluke
Regular User

From what I heard, and having driven the Mini Cooper, and the CTR, I would go to the Mini, although it's engine it's the weakest, but handling makes miracles!!
The Clio seems very good... but it has almost the same looks has a normal Clio 1.2, and don't has has much charisma has the other 2. But a good car, obviously!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #18
ViperASR
Regular User

and the lack of a six speed gearbox doesnt compensate my preferance for the civic
The Civic SI sold in america has the RSX 160hp motor and 5-speed gearbox. The Civic Type R sold everywhere else, has the RSX Type-S 200hp motor, and the 6-speed gearbox.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #19
Gimp
Regular User

The mini would be badass if it was rwd
Old 08-18-2004, 04:55 AM   #20
capore
Regular User

Originally Posted by cooperluke
The Clio seems very good... but it has almost the same looks has a normal Clio 1.2, and don't has has much charisma has the other 2. But a good car, obviously!
Because of that it is very attractive. It looks like a Clio much less powerful and it can surprise a big saloon car by passing it in an autobahn at high speed .
Well, one aspect we haven't dealt is the security elements of each one. Which equipment have them? I don't know exactly how many airbags, electronic safety systems and those things they have .
capore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 AM   #21
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Definitely the Clio for me. I like the Cooper S, but you really have to spend the extra couple of thousand on the works kit to get the speed up to match the chassis. I love and hate the CTR for the VTEC, but from all the reviews I have read, the Clio just seems to be the most fun in a small hatch.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:18 AM   #22
Regie
Regular User

As a RS Clio (Clio 172) owner I'm biased.
I've driven a Mini (Cooper, Cooper S & Works S) on public roads. I've had the opportunity to drive a Cooper S around a track (not just a single flying lap but for half a day).
No experience with the Civic Type R (we don't get it over here in Aus).

If it was for purely as a road car, and MONEY WAS NO OBJECT, I'd go with the Cooper S WITH the factory Works pack. The lesser versions (Cooper and Cooper S) just don't have enough get up and go and are more for posing in than driving. Sure they handle well and the chassis is good, but nowhere enough power.
However, I wouldn't get the 17" rims as they made the ride very jiggly around the roads near my home. I'm not a huge fan of the Mini's interior and feel that it will not age gracefully and is a bit loud (although the camel and black leather interior is schmick!)

I'm more a track day kinda guy and that's why I went with the Clio, it is a blast on the track and I haven't once cooked the brakes or had anything go wrong mechanically. Oversized brakes, pinched from the Laguna make for awesome stopping power. More expensive cars such as the HSV Commodores and Ford FPVs have had problems with brake fade and power steering on almost every track day I've attended.

Originally Posted by mindgam3
The cooper S is slower than both, but has a great chassis and opposite to what coombsie66 said, it has a great driving position, maybe didnt adjust your seat enough. The clio and the civic are almost exactly the same around a track although i think the cup version of the clio would outpace the civic as it has a better chassis. I think the civic looks great though and has a great engine and gearbox. Id go for the clio though
Originally Posted by Daggernite
I like the mini quite alot and I've had quite along time behind the wheel of one, Since thats what I passed my test in,So I know thats a great car, even if it was'nt a cooperS, I'm guess a cooperS must be alot better.
The standard Cooper, with its NA 1.6litre engine is asthmatic and underpowered to say the least. More a car to pose in than drive hard.

Speaking of driving positions, I hat e to say it, but the Clio's sucks big time. The Mini was very good IMO.

Originally Posted by capore
Although they are considered as similar cars, from my point of view they are very different. I mean: The CTR is a radical car, a machine to be used on a track only, to have racing experiences (remember that except the ABS, it hasn't got any other electronic help) and not to be used on long trips (unless you want to have your back hurt . Imagine going for 500 miles with those hard baqets ). Its prize is good enough, but I don't see this car to be daily used.
The Mini Cooper S: This car is a bit expensive and doesn't transmit the same sensations as the Clio or the CTR. It's fine to be driven and it has got enough power to put a smile in your face (by driving it on a mountain way for example, or even on a highway). But I wouldn't choose it.
The Clio: Well, I haven't chosen neither the CTR nor the Mini, so I have to choose the Clio, don't I? . Without any doubt is the best one. May be in a track isn't as good as the CTR, but it is more useful, you can go to buy with it (an aspect to be consider, the room inside the car), etc.
The Clio's traction control is switchable (and stays off, unlike Mercedes systems),. ABS is present.

Re: CTR being a good track day toy
A recent Autocar article I read was not glowing about the Civic's ability around a track. They complained about the car's stability under braking and that the rear end was moving around a fair bit. The steering and chassis also disappointed the journos. I'll post a couple of scans later in the day.

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
THe Civic is in another level, with the R32, the S3 and cars like that. Clio or Mini??? Probably the Clio, which has a better handling, although the equipment and exclusive of the Mini is also better than the french. However, comparing both with the Civic, I would go for it, faster, more agressive... and bigger.
The S3 (old model, not current shape) was a fat ass. Not very nimble or fun to drive around a twisty bit of bitumen and it chewed through tyres like there was no tomorrow. Both cars are also twice the price of a Clio/CTR. The current R32 Golf sounds great and has excellent fit and finish, but again is twice the price of a RS Clio.

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I think that the Civic Type R is the best of the three. Given the money, i would defanitly have to buy it. It is naturally asperated, makes the most horsepower, and is th fastest to 60.
...... If i had the time and the money, i would put a better suspension on the Type R. That would make that car a bat outta hell!!!!

.....My brother owns a 1999 Honda Civic SI blue. It has adjustable shocks all the way around, 16" wheels wrapped in Yokahamas. We autocross it on a regular basis. Its a wonderful car to drive, if driven correctly, it will no understeer, and can be perswaed into oversteer if you want. With the right driver, it will own all, exept those who have way too much $$$$ :fist: .
The Clio's NA as well (like the type R), the engines more flexible (from what I've read).

Re: putting adjusable suspension
I was under the impression the thread starter was referring to the cars in their bog standard form, without any modifications whatsoever.
The first 'mod' I would do is to stick on some road legal semi-slick rubber (Yoko A032R, Dunlop Formula R, Michelin Pilot Cups). Cuts lap times by almost 2 seconds. Not the best for public roads though as the first drop of water will send the car into the hedges (or even on cold tyres).

Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
the 20bhp of disadvantage against the civic, and the lack of a six speed gearbox doesnt compensate my preferance for the civic
There may be a 20bhp difference between the Civic and the Clio, BUT look at the power to weight numbers. Remember the Clio is a light bugger and has a less peaky engine with more of that torque stuff.
Civic 164 bhp/tonne
Clio 167 bhp/tonne

Gearboxes is more of a personal preference. I don't mind a 5 speeder as long as the ratios are proper.

That being said, I have not ever driven a Civic Type R, so my comments about the car are purely speculation. I could be talking shit.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #23
capore
Regular User

RĂ©gie, If you have the oportunity of seeing Tiff Needle driving the CTR you will really enjoy. It seems as if it was rear wheel drive , a lot of oversteer in that car.
capore is offline   Reply With Quote