Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #16
coombsie66
Regular User

You have to go find a roundabout thats just a little damp, take that TC off and go throw it about TT, the focus is very forgiving (believe me!!! ) as im pretty sure its got reasonably similar handling charecteristics as the Mk1-2. (same suspension i believe)
Also im interested to know how annoying not having a Limited Slip Differential in a 200+ bhp FWD car is, so get out of that snow and turn off that TC!!!!
Dont stuff it though! 8)
As for intrusive engine noise!? No such thing untill your ears bleed

With regards to the interior, i'd say its light years ahead of my version, which isnt all that bad design wise, just not as solid as a beemer or a VW etc. Your beemer may be 10 years old TT, but i think the E36 has aged very well, and my best mates M3 Evo still hasnt been beaten by far!

Good write up, hope you have many more press cars to come, now go have some fun and make a VID!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #17
TT
Regular User

Hehe, I assure you I tried some lift off oversteer in controlled conditions and damp road, but grip, probably also thanks to pretty new winter tires is a bit too much and they seem to let go quick abruptly when they do. Since it's so cold these days, summer tires would be funnier for this, but would lack grip for the front end, so I am happy with this.
Today I drove some more, included some mountain road and I can confirm it's not funny to drive with no TC.. probably I am too used to my RWD, but really, if the wheels spin, it's time to back off, and in that case I prefer to back off before I feel the TC will try to control things. it might be for sissies, but to drive at a decent pace such a car (and when you are not used to it), it's the way to go.

As for the vid, I am sorry, today we always were between -6 and 4 C.. too bloody cold to step out of the car enough to take a video :roll:
Old 03-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
leo_26782
Regular User

Great to see that you enjoyed it, but I look forward reading a more detailed resume (You know what he will be expecting ).

Concerning the interior, think about an Evo, and you will realize how luxurious it can be :roll:
leo_26782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #19
TT
Regular User

So, we did it and it was a blast! I suppose I will go more indepth with my review when the pics will be up, but anyway, after a day of driving and some 300 km in the 4 cars (sadly not enough in the GTI) I think I'd take the ST! It's the better all rounder.. sportier, very good at cornerning but still not too crashy on the suspensions. Available in 5 doors it makes for a versatile car! But the Astra has such a boomy and whoosy exahst that it is hard to part with it!!!!!! Really a mad engine, very powerfull, lot of torque understeer and even on a straightline you have to struggle to keep the wheel straight! Really addictive turbo power! The Mégane is very well sorted and cornering is such a pleasure! It can easily slide its back as far as I saw but it's VERY bad inside.. like cars from 10 years ago and actually I prefer my 1995 BMW... the Golf had sadly 16 inches winter wheels.. not only ugly, but also very far away from the stock items, so even if I would have had time to drive it more I doubt I could have judged it proprely.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
ARMAN
Regular User

Cant wait for full report Astra sounds to be a real badass :shock:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
TransAm
Regular User

It's 240hp isn't it?

Should thus be a little bit quicker than the Saab I had, based on the fact the Astra will be lighter than a 9-3. I imagine it is a hoot to drive!

I have driven the old shape Astra 200hp Turbo, that was quite enjoyable. 8)

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #22
TT
Regular User

Yep it has 240 hp so a healthy 20 more than ST or Mégane and some 20 Nm more I think

We also weighted the cars in the morning before the drive and:

Opel Astra OPC - 1'350 kg
Renault Mégane Sport RS F1 - 1'370 kg
Ford Focus ST - 1'460 kg
VW Golf GTI - 1'370 kg

so the Astra is also the lighter :shock:
Old 03-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #23
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

AWESOME! TT, I think youre approaching your dream of becoming an auto journalist is coming true! First Geneva, now your own Press car!

Great pics, I love the first one of the ST framed in by the trees..

Don't forget to test out the handbrake that's what FWD cars are made for..
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #24
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Im waiting for the article as well, and as Im from the "old school" I agree that the old hot hatches with 130bhp and about 900kg are great fun, even the power/weight ratio described by dani was a little bit low
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #25
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

I even do have the mentioned old hot hatch in my mind as the next adquisition (when a chance) instead of a new car
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #26
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Can't wait for the full report Matteo!! Can we finally say we have another car journalists at JW?? ...
LOL, don't think so.. from the next test I'll be back to my usual photograph only position
Old 03-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #27
TT
Regular User

Uhm.. don't want to spam with a new topic for just three pics.. actually more will follow, but will keep them for future indepths. Still, I prefer to put down on "paper" a couple of words before I'll forget since they'll end up on my website in some months

This WE a local big dealer organised some "test days", so this morning I tried my luck hoping there won't be too many ppl.. well for sure there was nobody but it was so early that some of the cars were not ready.. The 159 for instance, but also 330i or new WRX... I booked the Alfa for Sunday but nothig more.. there will be too many ppl.

Anyway, here are the cars I put my hands on this morning:

Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 V6 Q4

Well, I was sure they would have the 2.2 diesel only but no, a beautiful black V6 Brera was waiting for me! It's an amazingly well crafted car inside. You feel cocooned in a good level of luxury. Leather is very good quality and the seats embrace you in a comfy way. instruments and all are very cool looking, very italian, maybe a bit too serious, but well, cool! Pedals are a touch of art: perfectly spaced for heel and toe : the drive is very relaxed and soft. Not a sport car this Brera, more of a relaxed GT. IMO the cabin is a bit too shielded fromthe engine note and this make for some effortless progression, but well, you sometimes wonder if it is really capable of a sub 7 0-100 kmh :bah: you don't have a sense of drama or acceleration as you have in a Focus ST or Astra OPC! Traction seems very good but had no way to test the Q4 proprely since I was on country roads with long sweepers and no mountain hairpins. Final note: the back seats are a joke, not even a small kid could fit his legs in there, let alone an adult! And boot space is small and with small access... still, such a sexy shape! I liked it

Mini Cooper S

A car I always wanted to test myself and never had! Finally it happened and bloody hell! All the articles I read were right, this is a disguised go-kart and all of a sudden the grown up hatches like, again, Focus, Astra or Golf seem pointless because the Mini is just perfect. It suits you like a glove and you are much more connected to the road thanks to a perfectly judged steering wheel and a masterpiece of a chassis! Only minor downside that supercharger's whine which isn't as sexy as a turbo whoosh or as refined as an italian NA engine, but it's not strong enough to really bother, and it propels the Mini so quickly in 3 digits speeds! I love the fact there is basically no torque steer and you can really push it with no fear! it could handle some more hp, sure, but it is already perfect as it is

Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 2.7 diesel

Well, as you can bet I was hoping for a supercharged but they only had this diesel "Sport".. how could I say no? I hate diesels and frankly, 190 hp aren't enough for such monster. it looks like a 500 hp SUV but it goes like a Panda with this engine Ok, it isn't true actually. It gathers speed quite easily although not impressively quick, and once there, you can really trash you in every kind of corners, beeing sure it won't fail! The steering isn't direct enough for my tastes, even at speed it doesn't harden enough, but beside that, it's a gorgeous ride! I quickly tried some simple offroad bit and well, it goes I love to drop it down in the lowest suspensions setting to take pics, but sadly that setting is just to access or leave the car.. once you move it raises automatically to the middle position :bah: too bad, it's damn aggressive once totally lowered. I am sure you can tune the electronics and trick them to leave the car slammed Inside it's very good, refined, classy, a pleasure to be in there, even at the back! The boot is ridicolous though with such a small aperture :bah:

All in all, a fun day! Sadly to test the RR I missed Shin's SL55 test and yet another indepth, but well I guess you can't have everything
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #28
Daggernite
Regular User

Im lovinh the hot hatch group pics, there really great. Just relised from your pic that the brerra has a ass renault would be proud of! Keep up the good work, enjoying your pics.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #29
Pehtren
Regular User

Congrats TT, i like the pics, and well choosen cars 8)

I love the Brera
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #30
stmoritzer
Regular User

Thanks TT for your experiences with these car, I was specially interested in the CooperS, a car I always wanted to drive ... guess I have to look for a local dealer to make a testdrive

the RangeRover is something we never had in JW , too bad you missed Shin's testdrive :bah:

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote