Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Sim Racing Is So Damn Good!

Well I dont race much, to be honest, lately I haven't raced at all...and to be even more precise by lately I mean since the early summer. Had a GTL practive session here and there same with GTR...

But today after being absent for so long I made a comeback, a proper hour and half of hot lapping Magny Course and Spa in the 360GT.

After watching Clarksons "Heaven And Hell" I got all wired up and I just had to get some sideways action, kinda like wanting to knock someones teeth down their throat after watching an exciting boxing match.

So it's 7pm, dark like in I never seen darker before, empty house, fuck the neighbours here I come.

So I set up. Wheel out, pedals in the right position, amp plugged in for the shakers in the seat, 5.1 setup with the rear sattelites right behind my ears, shifter set up just right, bam Im ready to go.

I start up GTR, choose the 360 in hot Ferrari red, make Spa the place of abuse, pick the late night Spa so it goes with the darkness just out my window.

All loaded, I go in the setup, make some quick adjustments, loaded up with 10 laps worth of fuel, put on some medium rubber in the rear softs in the front. Then I hit the "drive" button.

God damn! I miss this sound, the 360 starting up roaring, the speakers are so loud that my ears want to bleed but I just dont care. I slam the throttle and off I go...

My seat shakers shacking send vibrations down my spine in sync with the 8000rpm. So I enter the main straight, wheel all shaky but pulling to the dead center, I do some weaving and I can just feel the weight transfer as if I was in the car, the force feedback and the cockpit G simulation really do their work.

I enter the first corner and I can feel the rear end sliding because the tires are still not up to tempreture, I modulate the throttle, give it a bit of opposite lock, add in a tiny bit of brake and get it back in line all in a fine smooth progression.

I keep going get the tires warmed and with a big grin on my face Im enjoying myself, I feel so connected to the virtual car under me that I have the feeling of being tottaly imersed in the experiance. After all, I am driving at night, with no lights in the room, so all I see is the screen in front of me.

I keep lapping going faster and faster, then an AI Porker jumps on the track, I battle it out with him, but I just didnt have enough to outgun him, these 911s are faster in straight line and with Spas fast corners they just beat the 360 fare and square.

But I keep trying and BAM! The phone rings, I pick it up, talk for about 10 min, but after that I just didnt want to go back to racing because that phone call just spoiled everything...

Well the moral of this story is that if you are a car nut, you have to look into sim racing. Just cause you drive a Z06, or a Golf GTI doesnt mean that you dont need sim racing. How often do you take your Z06 to the track? I thought so How often does your GTI even see the track? I thought so

Get into it! It is so good and immersive, that with the right hardware, it doesnt matter if your are Walter Rohl, it is great fun! Yes it takes a lot of practive to become good at, but hey driving a race car is not supposed to be easy but once you master it, only the real thing can beat the excitment.

Go karting an alternative?pffffff I've done my share of that, and it doesnt even come close hehe

Hope that you liked the story.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
coloradosilver
Regular User

Default Re: Sim Racing Is So Damn Good!

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
So it's 7pm, dark like in I never seen darker before, empty house, fuck the neighbours here I come.
I've heard weird sex stories that start the same way.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Re: Sim Racing Is So Damn Good!

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
I've heard weird sex stories that start the same way.
Please share
Old 11-12-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
exhausted mules
Regular User

what game are talking about here?
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
stracing
Regular User

gtr
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:54 AM   #6
taygunho
Regular User

GtR is very good racing sim. Driving is so realistic. If i started to play this game i cant stop myself.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Banchi105
Regular User

Damn you!

Just reading that has got me so pumped. And the only thing I have to play is Gran Turismo 4. Oh well - its good enough for now.

Time to shoot for a new M3 record on Laguna Seca....
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Banchi105
Damn you!

Just reading that has got me so pumped.
That was the intention 8)
Old 11-13-2005, 01:32 AM   #9
Banchi105
Regular User

Are you on rscnet.org?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Are you on rscnet.org?
Yep, same nick.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
Banchi105
Regular User

Cool.

Just recently have I started watching it. Pretty cool place for some info.

Also just got my Driving Force Pro last week. Having fun getting a feel for it right now.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Damn you!

Whoa Alex... doe sthat make you a pimp?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #13
ARMAN
Regular User

Nice story sad I have to dream of it right now playing LFS2 demo with keyboard and.. mouse ops:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
MIHALS
Regular User

hehe, nice storry! I use to play NFS Underground with "powerslide" cheat mode and 5.1 VERY loud, so it takes you straight into the game and you feel like you're sitting in the car . I had wheel and peddals also ofcourse... but now, when I'm in UK, I've got just laptop, gamepad and 2 speakers (or Koss Porta Pro headphones) and playing NFSU again because I can't play any newer game due to laptop SW
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Damn you!

Whoa Alex... doe sthat make you a pimp?
IM A P.I.M.P B! I've got the magic stick B.......

This is me