Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Scale Models

Scale Models Discuss your model collections in here inc R/C models

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
TransAm
Regular User

Default 1:12 Tamiya Hayabusa - been keeping me busy for a month or 2

Now before you lot start taking the piss out of my poor modelling skills this is the first one I've built in 8 years!

I built a couple of Tamiya 1:12 motorbikes (an FZ250 and an RG250) a long long time ago, so this Hayabusa X1 isn't my first, but even so I am quite pleased with the results.

As you can see from the box in the background, the metallic candy apple red is not the right colour, and it should in fact be gunmetal metallic and gloss red colours. In retrospect, that metallic candy apple red came out so well that I wish I had just done the whole thing that particular colour, and not bothered with all the masking tape!

The candy apple red goes on in two stages, first a coat of silver, then the red which is like a transparent burgundy.

The masking was a bit of a nightmare, I got a bit of paint bleed so I had to go 'round afterwards with red gloss and a paintbrush to touch up. You can see in the first pic that I don't have the steadiest hand - also towards the end I rushed it a little bit as I just wanted to get it finished.

Ah well, live and learn

Heres a picture of the real thing:

Bike specs and information:

http://www.mickhone.com.au/x1.htm

Current work in progress is a Yamaha RZV500, and after that I will start on the FZR750 (you can see the box in the pics).

I will take some better pics when all three are built, maybe do a bit of a diorama.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote