Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default Drool cleanup isle 3... z06 corvette

First some new and old stuff. And a video.

Here are a few items from Dave Hill's presentation on the C6 Z06 at the C5/6 Registry Birthday Bash in Bowling Green, Ky. Some old stuff, some new stuff....
The top speed will be substantially above 190 MPH.
The fender badge will show 505 HP.
Quarter mile on street tires in mid 11's.
The car has been tested on several race tracks with over 1,750 laps at top speed. Drivers included C6R team, and GM test people.
The car magazines will get a production built car for testing in July.
Next week they will air ship a production built car to Nurburing for testing.
93 octane is the recommended gasoline to use.
The car will have heavier duty half shafts, than the C5 Z06.
The rear axle ratio will be 3.42.
Car will be available with 6-speed manual only.
the aftermarket would be able to do better than this exhaust system.
the Zo6 could take a higher lift camshaft without any problems, saying the pistons have extra valve reliefs built in from the factory to accomodate a new higher duration cam with more lift.

they brought along a dyno sheet that appeared to be an engine dyno, 505hp and 470lb-ft, and 400ft. lbs all the way across the board from 2400 rpms on up.
Xm anttena aids in downforce
The crate motor LS7 would be around $15,000
The Z06 will use the same 6 spd as the base C6, not the optional Z51 gearing.
Front brake cooling improved over C5 Z06 by a multiple of 5 and rear improved by a multiple of 2.
Front fascia scoop operable and testing shows main benefit is to reduce air temperature entering engine...not so much to increase airflow due to bends in design necessary to eliminate possibility of water ingestion.
Downforce has been optimized and adding a rear wing or full width rear spoiler will negatively affect balance without changing size of front splitter, etc. A general principle but the engineers emphasized this issue when talking about raised height of the C6 Z06 rear CMSL, size of front splitter, etc.
Lowering the new Z06 to improve looks/stance will upset the balance achieved but if you do be very careful not to exceed the "magic number" of 3/4 inches or the performance loss outweighs aesthetic benefit. Also, be aware the C6 sits lower in front versus rear, unlike the C5.
They are working on a new "steel blue" color as shown on slides during presentation. Didn't say what model year it might appear.
Horsepower to weight ratio of the best (6.2lbs to 1hp) the exotic car makers have as only the Enzo and the mega dollar Porsche were superior.
No price release til June or July

There will not be a horse power bump in the 2007 Z06, there will not be a 525hp or 550hp 2007.

Now the video is on this website:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...eline.promo.2g

Click play video mid page
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Caplax40
Regular User

Eh, no thank you.
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
gobs3z
Regular User

Xm anttena aids in downforce
Now thats hardcore, like NSX Type-R hardcore. It sounds great in that video, we just need to see a comparison of it against the Viper Coupe, and maybe someday we'll see the Blue Devil. Thanks graywolf!!!

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Caplax40
Eh, no thank you.
Move along - nothing to see here Ferrari-dreamer-Camry-driver.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Max Power

F430 performance at wholesale prices....I like
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
godspeed06
Regular User

i think what you should be saying is the F430 has Z06 performance at astronomical prices
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Caplax40
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Eh, no thank you.
Move along - nothing to see here Ferrari-dreamer-Camry-driver.

Hah, no thanks to both of those! Well a Ferrari maybe, but it's down quite a ways on my list!!
Old 06-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

^^^ And there in lies the beauty of the current C5 Z06 as an example.

I get to daily drive a P911TT, F360CS, Gallardo equal for the same price as a generic SUV.

I have the 1/4 mile, handling, 0-60 and topend of the ultra-elite... at nowhere near the cost - so while you and the rest of the wanna-be snobs dream - I drive - 60,000 smiles in 3 years.

In fact tomorrow I will be going for a nce blast through the backroads at 911TT pace - good thing I didn't get that Camry afterall..
Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Caplax40
Regular User

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think that maybe the reason I don't like the Vette so much, all versions, not just the new Z06, is because they're so common and toot the value-for-money horn. But I believe that is what all American cars are. Value. The Vette is a great value. Performance at a cheaper cost. And that's great, but that car is just not for me. I think a lot of Americans like the idea of "Big American Muscle that can stop much higher competition." And again, that's great. To each his own, like in this thread. RC45 is a Vette man, I'm not.

My choice for value for money is BMW's M3. It's a few thousand more than a fully optioned C5 Vette, but it seats four, has an available F1 transmission, looks fantastic, turns heads, excels in all aspects of performance, and draws on a motorsport heritage that is few and far between in the auto industry.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
graywolf624
Regular User

excels in all aspects of performance, and draws on a motorsport heritage that is few and far between in the auto industry.
Actually Id argue itd be almost impossible to find a major manufacturer other then maybe korean without significant motorsport heritage.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
excels in all aspects of performance, and draws on a motorsport heritage that is few and far between in the auto industry.
Actually Id argue itd be almost impossible to find a major manufacturer other then maybe korean without significant motorsport heritage.
Besides the fact that I turned down an M3 as an option because it is not in the performance range I wanted - and I have no desire to have a 4 seater for my back road blasting enjoyment.

In fact I see very few four seaters (or P-cars or even F-cars) out enjoying the back roads - and the only 4 seaters I see are STi/EVO/M3's which are sacrificing far too much for aving te 2 extra seats.

I am a hi-po car enthusiast - so I could never have settled for a non-sports car.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by graywolf624
Besides the fact that I turned down an M3 as an option because it is not in the performance range I wanted - and I have no desire to have a 4 seater for my back road blasting enjoyment.

In fact I see very few four seaters (or P-cars or even F-cars) out enjoying the back roads - and the only 4 seaters I see are STi/EVO/M3's which are sacrificing far too much for aving te 2 extra seats.

I am a hi-po car enthusiast - so I could never have settled for a non-sports car.
What about the 612? Everyone says that it feels like a 550, or rather handles like a nimble little sports car.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
Minacious
Regular User

My choice for value for money is BMW's M3. It's a few thousand more than a fully optioned C5 Vette, but it seats four, has an available F1 transmission, looks fantastic, turns heads, excels in all aspects of performance, and draws on a motorsport heritage that is few and far between in the auto industry.
Turns heads? Really? The M3 is about as common as a Honda Civic over here. I also wouldn't say it seats four. Unless the back seat occupants are no taller than 5 foot 6. The styling, though I would consider bland, is in the eye of the beholder so I can't fault you there.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I dont know why, but an M3 always turns my head, love its styling, and the funny thing is that Boxters are more common then M3s here.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Caplax40
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious

Turns heads? Really? The M3 is about as common as a Honda Civic over here. I also wouldn't say it seats four. Unless the back seat occupants are no taller than 5 foot 6. The styling, though I would consider bland, is in the eye of the beholder so I can't fault you there.
I'm sure geographical location plays a huge part, but where I live it's pretty much American car-central. Vette's and Mustang's are so abundant, that they practically blend in with the rest of the traffic. An M3 or other nice foreign car stick out like a sore thumb.