Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #31
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Am I supposed to be impressed by this time?

RC your telling me that the Z06 is going to lap some 25sec faster then the stock C6? That is fucked up.!

If thats so then the cars should not even share the same name, cause they are clearly tottaly different.
Who said anything about being impressed? ANd yes, there is that much of adifference between the C5 Coupe and C5 Z06 and the C6 Coupe and the C6 Z06.. Hopefully now you understand why some of us buy the Z06 and don't even bother with the Coupe. Just as I would not really bother with a base Carrera either

Remember. st-anger posted this with hoourable intentions of shaing the magazine test results.

The C6 Coupe is no more Z06 and the the Carrera S is a 911 Turbo or a GT2 or GT3.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #32
SFDMALEX
Regular User

You should just stop using the word "Vette" and switch to "Z06" Will save you some trouble.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

You should just stop using the word "Vette" and switch to "Z06" Will save you some trouble.
Oh - trust me, we do

Same way you will hear a ZR1 owner correct some one calling their car a Corvette... heheh uhm no - it's a ZR1.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #34
bmagni
Regular User

RC your telling me that the Z06 is going to lap some 25sec faster then the stock C6? That is fucked up.!

If thats so then the cars should not even share the same name, cause they are clearly tottaly different.
its not 25 its 35 secs, so thats even more fucked up, i remain kinda skeptic to this new z06 doing such time, and now even more that the stock C6 did this time.
i still have some hope.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #35
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni

its not 25 its 35 secs, so thats even more fucked up, i remain kinda skeptic to this new z06 doing such time, and now even more that the stock C6 did this time.
i still have some hope.
Similar reaction to Porsche and F360 owners we meet on the street.

When kick their arse from here to next week they list the ricer excuses - including th "Yeah but it's just a Chevy" one.

Oh well - who truley gives a shit -I have a daily balst in my car. Nuff said
Old 07-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #36
nthfinity
Regular User

well, after having a subscription to motor trend for several years; i've yet to be more then disapointed with any head-to-head tests they've had...

dont forget, taht they also had (a great car, but not really COY material) the new T-bird as car of the year as well... even knowing a major defect, and not printing anything about it

also, they for some reason had a beetle cab. vs. a T-bird in winter driving comparison :roll: :roll:
Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #37
gucom
Regular User

ok so RC45, just educating myself by the pic you posted on previous page...the base 996 carrera (1st model series with 3.4 engine) did a 'Ring lap of 8:18 minutes, and the base C5 did 8:40, wit the anniversary doing 8:18...so base carrera vs anniversary (i dont know what that car's specs are) are sort of even.
997 Carrera S (so not totally basic) does 'Ring in 8:05, C6 does it in 8:15..hard to tell, i dont know the performance difference between std and S 997.
based on the pictues i've seen i'd say the porsche interior looks more luxurious, but ive never been in either car. just 1 more comment, you were comparing the Z06 with the Turbo a while back...the Turbo is in no way an all out performance machine like the z06 is, for that you need a GT2...which happened to do a 7:46 'Ring lap...
Old 07-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #38
blah
Regular User

damn the Z06 is one bad ass machine. Not only is it 1 second faster in a 1/4 mile alone, but its 35 seconds faster around the ring. I would love to see a video of a C5 Z06 vs C6 Z06 vs C5 vs C6 from a 40 roll.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #39
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
just 1 more comment, you were comparing the Z06 with the Turbo a while back...the Turbo is in no way an all out performance machine like the z06 is, for that you need a GT2...which happened to do a 7:46 'Ring lap...
Actually you still need to educate yourself- the C5 Z06 (and the C6 Z06) are no where near as "exotic" as the GT2.

The Z06 and the 911 TT is the perfect comparison.

In fact even the F360CS with it's light weigh doors and other exotic materials and mechanisms needed is far above the Z06's level of sophistication.

Trust me, if GM produced a street car based on the race car that was based n the original street car it would so fucking exotic and fast it would blow everything except the FXX clean away.

Everyone so conveniently seems to forget that the development path from the 360 to the 360S first spent an entire seaon developing a track-only Challenge car - and that was further developed until the CS appeared.

In the mean time, the Corvette C5 spawned a Fixed Roof Coupe for 1999 witha 345hp base engine, this then lasted until 2000 - became a lightened 385bhp 2001 Z06 with wider wheels and sticky tyres - then was refined to culminate in the 405hp same weight Z16 in 2004.

All the while a DEDICATED ROAD CAR!!!

And this "lowly Chevy" then proceded to kick the living crap out of all comers and equals and betters many task-specific race-cars tunrned street cars.
Yet still no credit?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #40
gucom
Regular User

the GT2 isn't based on a race car either...its a more raw version of the Turbo, not like the GT3 which is more like a race car turned back to a road car. The Turbo is a very very fast sports car with everyday everywhere any weather usability, where the GT2 is a proper monster. I think in spirit the GT2 and Z06 arent that different

and i never said i dont give the corvette credit, im just comparing lap times for spiritually comparable cars here. The corvette is a great car, no doubt about it, just not for me. (also just a little off topic detail, the price difference between a vette and a porsche is much smaller here than in the US)
Old 07-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #41
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Trust me, if GM produced a street car based on the race car that was based n the original street car it would so fucking exotic and fast it would blow everything except the FXX clean away.
Ferrari never devoloped a car based on a race car Oh and neither did chevy so, that whole paragraph is pointless. "If" doesnt cut it, I thought you dont like ricer excuses

Everyone so conveniently seems to forget that the development path from the 360 to the 360S first spent an entire seaon developing a track-only Challenge car - and that was further developed until the CS appeared.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

First of you can make a challenge a car from a standart 360M, its as easy as bringing it a Ferrari shop. Its a standart 360M striped of its interior with an MM dash, stripped of one cat, slightly different exhaust. Has stiffer engine mounts and a racing clutch, and has a stiffer set ARBs.

No further devolpments were made on the cars. So I dont see were you got that "season developing a track only Challenge car"

All a CS is a stiffer 360M with sligthly more power and a stripped out interior...there are no "years of development".
Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Ferrari never devoloped a car based on a race car Oh and neither did chevy so, that whole paragraph is pointless. "If" doesnt cut it, I thought you dont like ricer excuses
Yes they do - you can witness all CS revisions

The success and essons learned in the race programs of team owners and testing are what constitute the changes made.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

First of you can make a challenge a car from a standart 360M, its as easy as bringing it a Ferrari shop. Its a standart 360M striped of its interior with an MM dash, stripped of one cat, slightly different exhaust. Has stiffer engine mounts and a racing clutch, and has a stiffer set ARBs.

No further devolpments were made on the cars. So I dont see were you got that "season developing a track only Challenge car"

All a CS is a stiffer 360M with sligthly more power and a stripped out interior...there are no "years of development".
Yes there are - if there were not, the 3 cars would have been released the same day

All those incrmental changes you mention, are as result of very careful analysis of race results and a myriad options.

There is a reason a 360 Challange is a gutted non-street-legal car - and there is a reason why the CS is as spartan and singl;e purpose as it is.

You cannot deny this one any way you slice it.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #43
RC45
Regular User

the GT2 isn't based on a race car either...its a more raw version of the Turbo, not like the GT3 which is more like a race car turned back to a road car. The Turbo is a very very fast sports car with everyday everywhere any weather usability, where the GT2 is a proper monster. I think in spirit the GT2 and Z06 arent that different
You could not be more wrong here.

The Z06 is the "very very fast sports car with everyday everywhere any weather usability" of Corvettes.

Think of the Lingenfelter Twin Turbo as the GT2 of Vettes... - that's a monster ehehe

and i never said i dont give the corvette credit, im just comparing lap times for spiritually comparable cars here. The corvette is a great car, no doubt about it, just not for me. (also just a little off topic detail, the price difference between a vette and a porsche is much smaller here than in the US)
"Spiritually Comparable" cars - wow - that's a new one, at least you didn't the HP/L or valvle train layout argument
Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #44
SFDMALEX
Regular User

360MC is not a race car. Its a stripped out street car with 95% of stock componemts. Its simply a re set car, with stock anti rolls bars set stiffer, not new race componemts. The only race compenets are the clutch and stiffer engine mounts(if you can call that a racing component)

Put the cat back in and an E brake and you have your "street legal" car. Pretty sure you would strugle to get a C5R or a 550GTC to pass as street legal.

Its not a race car because it has a stock road going motor in it. It doesnt rev higher nor does it have a different gearbox.

Sorry just cause it aint street legal doesnt make it a race car.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #45
gucom
Regular User

Yes there are - if there were not, the 3 cars would have been released the same day
so according to you, the fact that there were a couple of years between base C5 and Z06 also means that there was an extensive race program and that race car was turned into the Z06...yeah makes sense
All those incrmental changes you mention, are as result of very careful analysis of race results and a myriad options.
and nothing like that happens for the Z06? not 1 little part of the experiences of the C6R will be put into hte Z06?? lets, just for fun, real the catalog about the Z06 when it comes out, ok?

There is a reason a 360 Challange is a gutted non-street-legal car - and there is a reason why the CS is as spartan and singl;e purpose as it is.
ok here's the secret: WEIGHT IS SLOW so they stripped as much weight as possible from both cars, no rocket science in that

"Spiritually Comparable" cars - wow - that's a new one, at least you didn't the HP/L or valvle train layout argument
i think you understand that what i meant is they are comparable in spirit, in the goal they have, although you obviously dont agree with me on that