Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-25-2005, 01:37 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Edmunds gives C6 Z06 1st, Ford GT 2nd & SRT/10 3rd

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ine.promo.1g.*

Interesting read and video review.

Some what predictable results... If we can get rid of the keyless starter, electric door handles and coupe rear window, I would be lining up for a C6 Z06.

"I raced for 17 years. Ran the Daytona 24 Hours, NASCAR Southwest Tour, SCCA GT1 cars, IMSA, oval tracks. But I never raced a car with this much horsepower."

That was the comment from our professional test-driver after his lap times in this latest American Exotics comparison test. Each of these — the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe and Ford GT — are more powerful than Formula One racecars of 25 years ago. Even today, relatively few racecars boast more than 500 horses.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
racer_f50
Regular User

Definitely a nice victory for the Z06.

What I was most interested in what they're opinions of the new Viper Coupe, though. Quite a shame if Dodge really has taken the bite out of it and made it "too" safe and boring. Oh well, I guess.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
the driver cirtainly didnt run IMSA with the March Chevrolets vs. the Porsche 962's, and the like those cars begun somewhere around 700 hp in 84'

according to thier 'subjective' (and arbitrary) scoring...
FGT:
z06:
where really..... only goofy things like lugage space and doors make the difference... its damn impressive that Chevy made a car almost as good as the GT for 1/2 the price... i'd still have the GT in my garage, and as a first choice... but definately not first.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

Default Re: Edmunds gives C6 Z06 1st, Ford GT 2nd & SRT/10 3rd

Originally Posted by RC45
If we can get rid of the keyless starter, electric door handles and coupe rear window, I would be lining up for a C6 Z06.
Hey RC,

I can understand the gripe against the coupe reaw window and the electric door handles, but how come you don't like the keyless starter? I always thought that was kind of cool. My only question was what happens if the FOB batteries go dead or it gets soaked with water.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
If we can get rid of the keyless starter, electric door handles and coupe rear window, I would be lining up for a C6 Z06.
Hey RC,

I can understand the gripe against the coupe reaw window and the electric door handles, but how come you don't like the keyless starter? I always thought that was kind of cool. My only question was what happens if the FOB batteries go dead or it gets soaked with water.
The keyless start is "kind of cool" yet has some quirks... things like needing to have the carin reverse BEFORE you shut it off otherwise the ignition stays in the on etc.

The electric door handles mean if there is ANY battery issue etc youhave to crawl into your car throught theback hatch.

These "Euro-centric" gadgets just piss me off no end.

Originally Posted by nthfinity
^^^
the driver cirtainly didnt run IMSA with the March Chevrolets vs. the Porsche 962's, and the like those cars begun somewhere around 700 hp in 84'

according to thier 'subjective' (and arbitrary) scoring...
FGT:
z06:
where really..... only goofy things like lugage space and doors make the difference... its damn impressive that Chevy made a car almost as good as the GT for 1/2 the price... i'd still have the GT in my garage, and as a first choice... but definately not first.
Yep - their scoring was rather arbitrary... but more along the lines of what my (and ost of the members here) finances would dictate our choices be

I think the " You can buy a C6 Z06 and put $100,000 in your favourite mutual fund for the price of a Ford GT" says it all.

Considering how few people can scrounge up the $10 to donate to the JW Server fund, $100,000 is a lot of money
Old 12-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
jereomen
Regular User

The electric door handles mean if there is ANY battery issue etc youhave to crawl into your car throught theback hatch.
This is not the case. I own a 2005 corvette. All you have to do is pop the hatch and the there is a cable you pull to open the door. No crawling involed. The keyless ignition and door locks I feel are very nice. Put the keys in your pocket walk up to the car and the doors unlock automatically get in and push a button and you are gone. Keys to my other vehicles seem like a PITA compared to the vette. It even lets you know when your keys are in the car and you are not. Of course this is just my opinion.
jereomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Hey RC,

well most keyless ignition/entry keys have a key in them for the reaason that the battery may die in the remote or car (I know the RL's at work have them and the Merc's we got on trade in have them aswell)
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by jereomen
This is not the case. I own a 2005 corvette. All you have to do is pop the hatch and the there is a cable you pull to open the door. No crawling involed. The keyless ignition and door locks I feel are very nice. Put the keys in your pocket walk up to the car and the doors unlock automatically get in and push a button and you are gone. Keys to my other vehicles seem like a PITA compared to the vette. It even lets you know when your keys are in the car and you are not. Of course this is just my opinion.
Obviosly not well advertised as a number of new to C6 hairdresser coupe owners (and at least one dealer ) have lamented at having to clamber through the hatch to get into the car.

By the way - how would you pop the hatch if the car was locked and the battery was disconnected/flat?

And if the Electronic Column Lock fiasco of the C5's is anything to go by, GM has an aweful track record with regard to dealing ith electronic gremlins.

Besides which, why bother with the whole elctronic door handle crap anyway ? Out of warranty repairs for gizmo laden cars are alwyas horrendous.

Autounlocking car doors are nothing new - just ask all the C4 owners with similar failed and expensive to repair auto-snapping door locks

Anywhoooo... you posted pics of your C6 in the "What you Drive" section?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
jereomen
Regular User

Originally Posted by jereomen
Obviosly not well advertised as a number of new to C6 hairdresser coupe owners (and at least one dealer ) have lamented at having to clamber through the hatch to get into the car.
They have a DVD that comes with the car. They should watch it.
By the way - how would you pop the hatch if the car was locked and the battery was disconnected/flat? [size=18There is a place just above the tag to put in the key.[/size]
And if the Electronic Column Lock fiasco of the C5's is anything to go by, GM has an aweful track record with regard to dealing ith electronic gremlins.
Besides which, why bother with the whole elctronic door handle crap anyway ? Out of warranty repairs for gizmo laden cars are alwyas horrendous.
They did this to eliminate the linkage in the door and reduce the amount of componets in the door assembly, in theory improving reliability.

Autounlocking car doors are nothing new - just ask all the C4 owners with similar failed and expensive to repair auto-snapping door locks

Anywhoooo... you posted pics of your C6 in the "What you Drive" section?
I have not posed pics, I have not used any of the online host before. I guess it is time for me to figure it out. responses in the quote above.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

How would increasing complexity and systems lead to inproved reliability?

Is there a way to pop the trunk when the battery is dead or disconnected?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
jereomen
Regular User

How would increasing complexity and systems lead to inproved reliability?

Is there a way to pop the trunk when the battery is dead or disconnected?
I actuality it is less complex, no mechanical linkage just an electric latch and some buttons. I know what you are saying about GM's track records though. You can pop the hatch by using the key, there is a hidden lock cylinder just above the tag.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

^^ thank you - so the final trouble free backup system is a good old lock, key and latch

Would be easier to simply have a lock, key and latch to begin with
Old 12-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #13
jereomen
Regular User

^^ thank you - so the final trouble free backup system is a good old lock, key and latch

Would be easier to simply have a lock, key and latch to begin with
I am sure somebody was saying the same thing about electric starters, and other once new fangled contraptions when they were dreamed up too. Lock and key is not without its flaws, they freeze in the winter and keys can break off.

Enjoy your Z06, I wish I lived in texas where there were good tuners around. I would have liked to have seen your video you posted but I do not have access to the vault.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
jereomen
Regular User

Here you go RC45, My Vette
Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Nice - put it up in the What you Drive Gallery..

http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewforum.php?f=56