Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
Originally Posted by Ghostbat
I bet from 0-200km/h, the turbo will cut the time by several seconds.
I'm quite sure of that too. ~45bhp more will definetely pay dividends.

A redline at 7000rpm sounds interesting for a turbo. At what rpm is max power?
MAx torque is 400nm, available between 1500-5800rpm or are you talking about HP?
Yes I'm talking about HP. The talk about power can be somewhat confusing for us swedes when we speak english. Why do manufacterers always talk about a flat torqe-curves nowadays. They are all doing it. Fact still reamins that you find a peak at some rpm no matter what.
Jag är också svensk

Har tyvärr inget svar på din fråga (I dont have an asnwer for you)
Jo jag vet att du är svensk, därför jag skrev som jag skrev.

Even if it's a BMW I would be suprised if max power is close to 7000rpm. Would be one cool turbo engine though. Well I guess it's a cool turbo engine anyway..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #17
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
finally, BMW gets with the program....now if they can just build quality cars again :roll:

At least they are better than Mercedes
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
finally, BMW gets with the program....now if they can just build quality cars again :roll:

At least they are better than Mercedes
Ohh, no need to drag Mercedes into this

..They are on the right way now..
Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
Wutputt
Regular User

Instead of one big Turbo, this one have two small turbos. One for low rpm and one for higher rpm. I think it works the same as Toyota Supra?
Nope, the turbos are placed in parallel, as you can see on the pics. Same as a 911TT, RS6 etc.

It's not the same 2-stage turbo method like the 535d and Supra for instance.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
bmwmpower
Regular User

Originally Posted by Igorionia
dissapointed ?! WTF ?! :shock: 306HP = just for selling. Like it was with Skyline's GT-R in Japan. Buy this car with 280HP and tune it to 400hp easilly
Rise the boost and DIE with 400hp BMW
Yes but this is a factory car so that's what's relevant. BMW are well know for producing high reving engines with high output/volume. The C32 produced 354bhp with one supercharger from 3.2litre engine back in the days. I was expecting figures in the neighbourhood of 330-340bhp atleast. Only a rise with ~40bhp just doesn't impress me. For me it sound like and engine more fitted for the 5 and 7-series.
more power more turbo lag, re u sure ,bmw got problems to tune this engine ? no problem to create 350-400 hp, anyway, im little suprised too, i was excpecting range from 330-360 hp,
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmwmpower
Originally Posted by Igorionia
dissapointed ?! WTF ?! :shock: 306HP = just for selling. Like it was with Skyline's GT-R in Japan. Buy this car with 280HP and tune it to 400hp easilly
Rise the boost and DIE with 400hp BMW
Yes but this is a factory car so that's what's relevant. BMW are well know for producing high reving engines with high output/volume. The C32 produced 354bhp with one supercharger from 3.2litre engine back in the days. I was expecting figures in the neighbourhood of 330-340bhp atleast. Only a rise with ~40bhp just doesn't impress me. For me it sound like and engine more fitted for the 5 and 7-series.
more power more turbo lag, re u sure ,bmw got problems to tune this engine ? no problem to create 350-400 hp, anyway, im little suprised too, i was excpecting range from 330-360 hp,
Later there will be a 335 with 330hp and ZSG, called 335si.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #22
browney
Regular User

Yeah, I think that they wouold want to be carefull about how much power it makes because they want the M3 to be clearly the fastest 3 and the sports car of the range.
browney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #23
espen
Regular User

Flat torque band is often legitimized to be for drivability, but is also due to the fact taht torque kills transmissions so 400Nm flat is cheaper in the long run. Of course, this means there is a lot more to come when chip tuners get a hold of the engine - like on any turbo engine
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #24
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by browney
Yeah, I think that they wouold want to be carefull about how much power it makes because they want the M3 to be clearly the fastest 3 and the sports car of the range.
The E90 M3 will get a ~420bhp V8 so that's no prob. Also an M-version isn't all about power it will definetely handle better than the 335.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #25
SafirXP
Regular User

pretty impressive! they just didnt go for all out performance. reliability, noise, emissions, fuel economy, etc. are taken into consideration.
SafirXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #26
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by browney
The E90 M3 will get a ~420bhp V8 so that's no prob. Also an M-version isn't all about power it will definetely handle better than the 335.
Definitely, this guarantees the M3 to be in the 400bhp plus range.

I guess the HP range going to continue for a bit. Now your average sedans/coupes will have over 300bhp.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote