Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 06-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Wutputt
Regular User

Default Network problem

I'm currently experiencing a bizarre network problem.

I used to have the following setup:
adsl modem/router connected to a switch
on this switch 1 or 2 PC's were connected @ 100 Mbps
a second router (with WLAN) was also connected to this switch.
on this second router the laptop was connected wireless and 2 PC's @ 10 Mbps (reason for being 10 Mbps is the fact the UTP cables were so long and interfering with other electrical equipment 100 Mbps wasn't possible). And it worked perfectly.

Sadly, 2 weeks ago the router with WLAN died. And Friday evening the adsl modem/router died as well. So time for some new equipment. I bought a DLink DSL-G604T adsl modem/router with WLAN.

Now all PC's are connected to this router (100 Mbps and 10 Mbps). I've disabled the WLAN for the moment, cause I first want the regular LAN to be set up properly.

DHCP client is set as follows:

IP/Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
IP start: 192.168.1.100
IP end: 192.168.1.254
Lease time: +/- 12h

The connection for the PC @ 100 Mbps works like a charm, but there are some issues with the PC's connected @ 10 Mbps: they won't connect to all websites.

For instance following sites won't open on those 2 PC's:

www.swisscarsightings.com
www.yahoo.com
www.hotmail.com
www.audi.de
www.f1pits.net

Though when I ping these sites on these 2 PC's I do get a response. I've tried to fiddle with the MTU value of my adsl connection, but no improvements. I also tried to connect the 10 Mpbs PC's indirectly to the router via a second switch, but the problem remains.

Does anyone has an idea why this happens?
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Wutputt
Regular User

I did that, but no progress.

I've tried to switch the PC's from place, and it appears the one that's working will work on any place. So I updated the network drivers of the other PC's, but nothing changed.

So I did another test. There was a WLAN USB adaptor included with the router. So I installed it on all PC's and see what happened:
- nothing changed on the problem PC's.
- on the PC that worked things got worse though. Suddenly the same problem appeared: I can't connect to certain sites. When I use the regular network card though, all works well again on this PC.

May I conclude the router I bought is shit?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
DeMoN
Regular User

yes you may please.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Wutputt
Regular User

LOL

Though I found a solution to my problem, without destroying the router.
It seemed it had something to do with the MTU settings after all. Problem solved
Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

you changed that when you got it I assume? MTU stock settings always work for me.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Seems like you have a problem with your DNS settings..
I'm pretty sure I had the same problem..

Take screen shots of your Router's configuration settings page and post them here.

D-Link routers (although really cheap) are pretty good IMO. I haven't bought any other brand and so far so good.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
you changed that when you got it I assume? MTU stock settings always work for me.
Nah, I left it on default. But changed it when I found out my network wasn't working properly. It was default set to 1500 or 1472 (I don't remember anymore). It’s now set to 1300. And I also had to change the MTU settings in the registry of the problematic PC's. It's all working fine now, didn't have any problems since yesterday.

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Seems like you have a problem with your DNS settings..
I'm pretty sure I had the same problem..
I'm pretty sure the DNS settings of the router were/are fine. Default setting was 'auto discover DNS servers' and the router received the right DNS servers (the ones Thamar posted) from my ISP. Just to be sure I've also tried to set them manually, but there wasn't any difference.

All is working well right now, so I don't have no problem anymore and I'm happy

But thanks for your help guys