Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
JN396
Regular User

Default good compression pgm for vids?

Can someone recommend a good file compression program that's preferably free? (ie. download.com) I dunno if any of you guys are interested; but I captured the special episode on direct tv on vhs of the top 100 maxim women. It's quite good to say the least; but I want to put it in my comp for further viewing at work! haha lol Any suggestions would be great. Or I can just give jabba (5) 10 min increments of the vid at 170 mb each, and he can do his magic. Any suggestions!?! You won't believe who's #1!!! nfire: :multi: nfire: :multi: nfire: :multi: nfire: :multi:
JN396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
maalox
Regular User

virtualdub will do it for ya (to DivX), although it might be a bit hardcore for you if you're a first time dubber.
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Anonymous

If you have it captured its on your comp I assume. Then the next thing is to compress it and the only one I reccomend is Divx 5.5 PM me for more details if what I assumed is correct so far, if it's on a vhs its really not captured. To accomplish that you need a capture card in your pc first.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:33 PM   #4
JN396
Regular User

Originally Posted by Krazy Hawaiian
If you have it captured its on your comp I assume. Then the next thing is to compress it and the only one I reccomend is Divx 5.5 PM me for more details if what I assumed is correct so far, if it's on a vhs its really not captured. To accomplish that you need a capture card in your pc first.
yeah; it's in my comp; i captured it using my archaic 5 year old tv tuner that can also capture videos (pinnacle). What I need is to compress the avi file so it's uploadable. I'll try to see if i can download divx 5.5 later when i get home.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
Anonymous

Originally Posted by JN396
yeah; it's in my comp; i captured it using my archaic 5 year old tv tuner that can also capture videos (pinnacle). What I need is to compress the avi file so it's uploadable. I'll try to see if i can download divx 5.5 later when i get home.
you can but its the crap one. pm me and Ill give you what you need for the good one, the free version is loaded with spyware and wont let you encode. for encoding you need the pro version and its not cheep.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:07 AM   #6
possessed_beaver
Regular User

[quote="Krazy Hawaiian"][quote="JN396"]

you can but its the crap one. pm me and Ill give you what you need for the good one, the free version is loaded with spyware and wont let you encode. for encoding you need the pro version and its not cheep.
thank the loard for the L-lite codec pack!!!
:rainbowafro:
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
JN396
Regular User

Originally Posted by JN396
A big thanks to KH for helping me out step-by-step encoding this vid! After watching it like 10 times; I still say it was worth it! Thanks bro! Hopefully we'll be able to get it online later today so the jw regulars can see what I'm talking about!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #8
Anonymous

Your Welcome! Happy to have helped out and glad you got thru it, I know how frustrating pc stuff can be and alot of times when I try to help someone they give up or never bother to tell me anything about what happened .... I won't name names. They know who they are.
I like to aid people in fixing something or learning something new, makes me feel like Ive done something worthwhile