Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
podpi
Regular User

Default Schumacher (way) past his peak

I've been debating (in my mind) and with friends whether or not MS is going senile. I think it's clear that, as a racer, he's past his peak. I reckon he reached his peak in 2000. But lets take a look at 2003. I think he made more mistakes in 2003 than the rest of his career put together!

Australia: Went off the road twice damaging barge boards.

Malaysia: Crashed into Trulli at start (his fault). Really shocking move actually.

Brazil: Spun out completely.

Imola: He went off the road quite badly at high speed, but managed to scoop it up (Traction Control).

Now here were a couple of decent performances. Spain, Austria were great and should be with a car advantage. I don't think he could have done much better at Monaco, but did finish 3rd nonetheless. Now Canada he drove brilliantly! Even with "no brakes", they said, keeping the Williams drivers behind! However, recently it was revealed that both Williams drivers were experiencing more severe brake problems than Michael. Nonetheless I would call the performance decent.

Nurburgring: He was way done the pack during the race and then spun after understeering into Montoya (Montoya was ahead at the time and adequate space was left).

Silverstone: Barrichello comprehensively outraced Michael, including qualifying.

Germany: Regardless of his car's performance (which is partially the driver's responsibility (setup)), Michael was too far off the pace, he punctured his tire after going off the track to overtake Trulli. Also Barrichello outqualified Michael again.

Hungary: Outqualified by team mate again. Should have finished higher than 8th in a Ferrari, and perhaps improved his setup so the car was faster. Got overtaken by Ralph Schumacher of all people because he was too stimulated by the action in front of him.

Italy: This race I was really impressed with Michael. He did everything he could and I have a feeling he had a big part to play with the car's improvement in performance. Then I heard after the race that he was running a higher spec engine than Barrichello! Nonetheless, he drove well. His drive of the season, but not in Michael's top 20 drives of all time.

United States: Michael was behind Barrichello when Barrichello was taken out. Anyone in a Ferrari on Bridgestones could have won that race. Nothing special. In the dry he was (far) less than special.

Japan! Need I say more? His team mate won the race while Michael was taking his front wing off with Sato (that move has to be Michael's worst ever - at least I can see reason behind Jerez 97) and breaking the rules (pushing Ralph across the white line). Crazy... maybe even... senile?

Conclusion: Far more poor races than good... His worst season ever? Just makes you think what we can expect next season to be like
Old 12-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
flat6
Regular User

Sometimes I think he only pushes as hard as he needs to in order to stay on top, or catch up... there's only so much you need to do to win the title. Why more? That and he's still one of the best drivers ever, even in aging, his experience will outweight a lot of young guns.
flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
willie
Regular User

i agree with flat6, in year 2003 due to the new rules also the new statergy by ferrari, MS has less pole position compared to last year.... that's why he need to push hard to win the race..... u do do mistake when u push hard, right???
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Biscuitz
Regular User

His worst season ever? Just makes you think what we can expect next season to be like

You have to be quite talented to still be the best in the world during your world season ever
Biscuitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Based on the new rules it looked like he struggled, but on the old pt system he had the championship sown up with afew races to go... I dont see how he isnt on top of the game. Being outqualified by 0.010 by a teammate isnt something I would consider out of the game...
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
mrzonda
Regular User

I don't like MS, but he is the best driver in the world. I still see him at the top of his game, and I don't see hims stepping down just yet. I just read a story that said he could continue past 2006.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
RallyeNLD
Regular User

When MS isn't able to fight for the WC anymore, he will quit. It's in his contract. That could be very soon, when Bridgestone doesn't do their homework properly.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

The problem is that everybody makes a big ass deal out of Schumi's mistakes. LOOK AROUND!!! If he makes a lot of mistakes, then Montoya makes TON of mistakes. People seem to pick on him any chance they get, and dont look at the rest of the field. Williams team is fucking insane when the talk about mistakes is on. They crash into each other, they spin in rain as if they are driving on ice, and bunch of other bad mistakes. I'm getting sick of Schumi critics. Braking his balls all the time. If he makes that many mistakes in comparison to other, then how in the world he has 6championships???

Lots of Schumaher haters out there, who cant respect his skill and his dominace and start picking on every little thing. Leave the man alone.

He cant be passed his if he won another championship.

This thread is not directed at anyone in person. Just a general statement.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

^^ i agree i think montoya is such a bad drive he just does stupid things, and how could say he did bad in brazil DID U WATCH THE RACE!!! no one could drive on that track with all the oil and water in that turn (well maybe Senna ) and how could a season that he wins the wc and cc, called a bad season? he is not past his prime , i think all this at his prime/past his prime stuff in sports is just stupid bullshit rants
have a nice day
Old 01-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
dylan99
Regular User

And at the end he won so your point is pointless, from the beginning of the seasons he was #1 and at the end he was still #1. I think you underestimate the other teams, they had good cars - maybe due to the wider tires - but not good enough to beat Ferrari. Ferrari had a car that wasn't better than the year before and MS wasn't as strong as the years before but nevertheless he and Ferrari were still dominating the track because MS and Ferrari are just better. MS must push the car really hard this season if he wants to be champion again, as a Ferrari fan I sure do hope so. But wasn't last season great? Nervosity till the last race, it was exciting and who just doesn't like an exciting Formula One season?!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 AM   #11
FerrariKiller
Regular User

If you can win championships after your peak, I'd say you don't have to leave yet. I know we all hate the rich kid, but you have to admit he's incrediblly talented and devoted to F1. It takes a lot to get in a race car the day after your mother dies, and win a race. The man was built for this. And he's doing it all on crap tires.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #12
scubywrxr
Regular User

I think u have to give credit were its due - although I am not a fan of MS, I think he is one of the F1 greats , afterall he does hold the record for the greatest no. of championships and the most points!
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 AM   #13
veilsidebr

Well, let´s remember last season was one of the most competitive off al history of F1. Shummy is really a good driver, yeah, we don´t have to talk about this, but with "more" pressure" he can make some mistakes easily.

I guess he is so accustomed in winning races that if someone get´s his rear for about 3 laps and threaten overtakes him, he is more capable to make a mistake than for sample Montoya.

Shummy is one of the bests, but not the one.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

[quote="dylan99"] Ferrari had a car that wasn't better than the year before quote]

Ferrari did have a better car, they were let down by Bridgstone big time. If Bridgestone did their homework, last year would be a repeat of 2002.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #15
kian

MS is still at top form ...i think JPM would be the next champ but not as long MS dont retire ...

wanna know who's way past his peak ?? David .......Kimi is already way better than that old man