Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #106
mayer
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Thats how I felt after watching "Epic Movie" .... was it made by the same people?
Yeah, the same people. I should have read the reviews before going. It was a spur of the moment thing after dinner. I never saw Epic Movie, but this is supposed to be worse. If you didn't like Epic Movie, then stay away from this one like the plague. It wasn't funny at all.
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #107
r2r
Regular User

No Country For Old Men

Good Film! 9/10
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #108
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
You miss the point of the movie.

It was supposed to be an over the top "shoot em up" first person shooter game style movie.

With impossible gun battles and Jame Bond style timing and unbelievable gun play and action.

In that vein it was spot on - and great fun to watch.

I still don't see how it's fun to watch a film like this. It's one thing to play a game like this, it's another thing to watch somebody to these gun battles without any sense of realism!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #109
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r View Post
I still don't see how it's fun to watch a film like this. It's one thing to play a game like this, it's another thing to watch somebody to these gun battles without any sense of realism!
Realism? You want to talk about realism?

Have you ever watched a James Bond movie from the last 35 years?

That is the entire point of the movie.... a great shoot em up - taking cues from pointless and unbelievable "shoot em up" scenes from the beginning - but with the idea of not just having 1 or 2 such scenes, but scene after scene of such action

If you bothered to rent it and actually view the "behind the scenes" bits and understod the "what, where, why and how' then it is actually a very entertaining movie.

Seriously, when last was any movie realistic? I mean even the acclaimed "BMW Movies" ar eunbelievabl epointless car chase scenes, the Ronin chase scenes... pretty unreaslistic as the chance of the timing always ebing perfect -- all the aciotn scens from the "Bourne Identity" series... totally fake and unbelievable
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #110
r2r
Regular User

Sense of realism, meaning the movie scenes are done in a way where a viewer can make him/herself believe it could happen within certain parameters. We all know that every movie is unrealistic, that's not the point.

Shoot em up on the other hand doesn't bother creating a 'sense of realism,' and based on what you say about the "behind the scenes" they weren't trying to have ANY sense of realism at all.

My point is when I watch a film I want to be immersed in the story, and believe that what is displayed could actually happen (aside from few exceptions like comedies). And to me although I would probably enjoy the game, seeing a movie that's done in this manner doesn't make sense.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #111
RC45
Regular User

Sense of realism, meaning the movie scenes are done in a way where a viewer can make him/herself believe it could happen within certain parameters. We all know that every movie is unrealistic, that's not the point.

Shoot em up on the other hand doesn't bother creating a 'sense of realism,' and based on what you say about the "behind the scenes" they weren't trying to have ANY sense of realism at all.

My point is when I watch a film I want to be immersed in the story, and believe that what is displayed could actually happen (aside from few exceptions like comedies). And to me although I would probably enjoy the game, seeing a movie that's done in this manner doesn't make sense.
Actually, within the context of the "movie universe" Shoot em Up is as realistic and believable as any James Bond movie.. or even the Bourne Identity series.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but no-one is as "bad ass" as eithe Bond, Borne or Ronin... in any universe..

The "realism" created by Shootem Up is no different to Bond, Bourne or Ronin - its just that you are willing to accept "fake" reality if it only happens in a few scenes - but will dismiss it if it happens scene after scene
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #112
r2r
Regular User

I see your point, but I don't think you see mine.

Ex: Ronin, the gun battle that happens when one party gets betrayed (to the best of my memory). Yes to a certain degree it is unrealistic as to how any of them survive but the director does try and show how they manage to get out alive by making it as real as possible. Compared to Shoot em Up where one guy walks into a building, and kills 20 without breaking a sweat.

Yes, all movies are unrealistic, but there are various degrees of realism in each one. In some more, in others less. I guess my accepted level is much smaller then yours.

btw, that might explain why I hate all Bourne movies, and don't really like most Bond films either.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #113
RC45
Regular User

btw, that might explain why I hate all Bourne movies, and don't really like most Bond films either.
You "condition" is easily cured with 6 bran muffins and a couple magazines..
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #114
r2r
Regular User

Good idea, I'm going to go have some right now actually. They are homemade, with A LOT of fiber

EDIT:

It seems my mom threw them away yesterday as they were getting old. SO no cure for me today I guess.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #115
Minacious
Regular User

Shoot 'Em Up was a fun ride. Escapism at its best.
It was meant to be fun, nothing more.
If you are only watching movies for a realistic portrayal of events, then you are missing one of the bigger points of film. The movie going experience is about escaping reality for a couple of hours; leaving behind the drudgery of everyday life.

Being immersed into a film universe has nothing to do with how realistic it is, it is a direct result of how well the universe was created, whether realistic or over-the-top.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #116
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
If you are only watching movies for a realistic portrayal of events, then you are missing one of the bigger points of film. The movie going experience is about escaping reality for a couple of hours; leaving behind the drudgery of everyday life.
Please read carefully what I previously posted!

My point isn't hard to understand.

The clearest way I can explain: There are movies which are done well, and ones that are done poorly, good movies immerse you because the universe they create is believable.

NOT BELIAVABLE IN A SENSE THAT IT HAS TO BE ABLE TO HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE! but believable in a sense of how it is portrayed in the film. The contexts it is in.....

Being immersed into a film universe has nothing to do with how realistic it is, it is a direct result of how well the universe was created, whether realistic or over-the-top.
Exactly!

......And then there are bad movies like Shoot em Up for me. Because this movie creates a weak universe that is not immersive.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #117
Minacious
Regular User

Trust me, I know exactly what you are saying. Your point isn't hard to understand at all. It is simply misguided.

That fact is, we will never be able to agree on this particular issue. Where you think the Shoot 'Em Up universe was poorly done, I thought it was put together well for what it was trying to achieve.

Then there are the two other movie franchises that you said you didn't care for. Whether you liked the films or not, you can't possibly feel that the Bourne and Bond films didn't do a good job of creating a believable universe?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #118
5vz-fe
Regular User

Anyone went to see Rambo this weekend? Just want to see if it's worth going to the theater and watch this movie.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #119
r2r
Regular User

Edit:
Trust me, I know exactly what you are saying. Your point isn't hard to understand at all. It is simply misguided.
There is nothing misguided about my opinion. Trust me I wasn't expecting much when I went to see this film in the theater! All I was excepting was to be entertained, it's just that the movie didn't deliver on any levels.

Then there are the two other movie franchises that you said you didn't care for. Whether you liked the films or not, you can't possibly feel that the Bourne and Bond films didn't do a good job of creating a believable universe?
With those two films it was more about the acting that was the problem.

As a side note I haven't bothered to see the second or third part of the Bourne films, so I can't comment on those.

As far as Bond films, like I mentioned before there are only certain ones I don't like. The last one wasn't too bad.

Last edited by r2r; 01-27-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #120
ae86_16v
Regular User

Charlie's War - 9/10
Philip Seymour Hoffman was excellent in this movie. Very witty and smart dialog. Good history lesson as well. Go watch it, it is definitely worth it.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote