Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default BBC secures TV rights to F1

F1 will return to the BBC from the 2009 season after the corporation secured a five-year television rights deal, it was announced today.

Twelve years after ITV won the rights and began broadcasting the sport, the BBC have managed to bring Formula One back in a major coup for the organisation.

Bernie Ecclestone, chief executive of Formula One Administration Limited, said: "I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC.

"I wish to thank ITV for their commitment to Formula One and the high quality of their coverage.

"It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fanbase."

BBC Sport director of sport rights Dominic Coles said on BBC Sport online: "The biggest motorsporting event in the world is returning home after 12 years.

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about the return of F1 to the BBC.

"F1 is a crown jewel of sports broadcasting, so to bring the rights back to their traditional home from 2009 is tremendously exciting.

"Fans will be able to enjoy uninterrupted, state of the art and innovative coverage from BBC Sport, across all of our TV, radio and new media platforms, for the first time since 1996."
Judging by the not-so-great comments I heard about ITV's F1 telecast, I'm guessing this is good news (?)

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Good news indeed!! At least globally now, more countries will get increased coverage.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
Judging by the not-so-great comments I heard about ITV's F1 telecast, I'm guessing this is good news (?)
Yes, brits seem happy with it. AFAIK, there will be better commentators and no commercials during translations.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

Guessing that the commentators will probably transfer over as well? I don't mind ITV's commentary. They coverage overall is pretty good, yeah sometime they miss some action but I don't mind too much because they catch the good battles.

Hope that BBC will continue w/ the Highlight package as well, I really like ITV's condensed version of the race.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Shock and Awe! Richard Hammond will present BBC's coverage of Formula 1?!!!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3593917.ece

Man, I'll miss Martin Brundle, Jim Rosenthal, and Tony Jardine and Louise Goodman. And even Ted Kravitz. ...Just not James Allen. Everyone but James Allen.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Bernardo
Regular User

Great news, I love hammster and would be even better if JC himself present races too.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote