Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #16
dylan99
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
There is an article in the latest Car and Driver about it. Apparently Chrysler is going to give them one to test in the future. I'm looking forward to it.
They also mentioned that it makes 1bhp for every 3.5lbs. Versus the Enzo's 1bhp per 5lbs.

There isn't any word on whether or not they will build it, but Chrysler keeps saying they could build it. Which is cool, but I'd rather have a yes or no answer. I hate it when companies say, hey, look at what we built. But sorry, we aren't gonna sell it.

This would never beat a McLaren/Bugatti/Koenigsegg/Ferrari/Zonda. Even if it would go into production or be a lot faster (it will still have the Chrysler badge) it won't have the pedigree like the others brands.
Thats the thing, it's not always the badge that matters. There are people who will buy it cause it's the latest greatest thing. Add to the fact that there will only be a handfull of lucky owners, it's appeal becomes a bit greater.
I do agree however, I'd rather have many cars versus the ME Four Twelve. But I won't say it'll do horrible just yet.

If you are going to make a supercar make your own ideas. It looks like a Koenigsegg, the engine is from Mercedes, they have copied a lot of the Pagani Zonda and the interior looks from Star Trek.
Pagani uses a AMG engine, why didn't you mention that? Koenigsegg used a Ford Racing block as the engine, why not mention that? Lamboghini's use parts from Audi, why not mention that?
Just because they used existing parts doesn't make it any less of a Supercar. All companies do it in one form or another, even if they originally built the part. It still came from a different car.

I have high hopes for the car, but I'm still a bit sceptical. I'd like to see an actual road test before condemning it. It has potential though.

I totally agree with you but what I meant is there is nothing wrong using parts of other company but what I don't like is that they use the same parts or technology as the others cars. The Veyron uses a Ricardo DSG system, the M-E too, the Zonda uses a Mercedes AMG engine, they too and it is the same engine but it is powered up. Why not another engine or transmission, it has the same as the other cars but nothing new that I have heard of.

If VW made a supercar that was the best in the world, offcourse it would sell but it would still have the VW badge on it. It's an image problem.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #17
DTM8
Regular User

I also read the Car and Driver article about this.

The car is great and it has potential, but for some reason, I wouldnt buy it if I had the money.
DTM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #18
DTM8
Regular User

I also read the Car and Driver article about this.

The car is great and it has potential, but for some reason, I wouldnt buy it if I had the money.
DTM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:58 AM   #19
gigdy
Regular User

I saw this car at the detroit auto show. And i say it straight up kicks ass. The tail lights actually look pretty sweet.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #20
666fast
Regular User

I totally agree with you but what I meant is there is nothing wrong using parts of other company but what I don't like is that they use the same parts or technology as the others cars. The Veyron uses a Ricardo DSG system, the M-E too, the Zonda uses a Mercedes AMG engine, they too and it is the same engine but it is powered up. Why not another engine or transmission, it has the same as the other cars but nothing new that I have heard of.

If VW made a supercar that was the best in the world, offcourse it would sell but it would still have the VW badge on it. It's an image problem.
I'd say 4 turbos is pretty different from the engine Pagani used. It's not like they went to AMG and said give us the engine you gave Pagani. They couldn't just stick 4 turbos on it and call it done. There was most likely a fair bit of extra work done to the engine. I can't comment on the transmission, I know nothing about it.

VW did build a supercar. It's called the Nardo, and it would have sold if they put it into Production. Not only was it fast, but it was reliable. It broke a few different records.
Like I already said, the badge doesn't always matter, it surely can help though. When it's a supercar and there are only so many of them, then it's exclusive and people tend to like things that only so many people can get.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #21
dylan99
Regular User

The Bugatti Veyron uses 4 turbo too and the Nardo is a very reliable car and good car but it still has the VW badge. Look at the McLaren F1 everybody says it is the "best supercar in the world" but they didn't manage to sell 350 cars but only 62 cars.

Offcourse the Nardo will be bought by a few ppl but don't think everybody is going to buy the car. In the society we live in your status is viewed by what you have - that's the world - when you are driving the Nardo and you park your car next to an Enzo the most ppl will look at at the Enzo and the next day they still will.

The Nardo may be a better car (reliability etc.) but the Enzo has more magic. Though I personally don't think the Nardo - it they wanted to sell more than 300 Nardo's - would be completely sold out.

The most ppl who buys supercars don't buy a VW supercar - a brand that everybody has the cleaner of the owner has a VW Golf or whatever - they buy Ferrari's Pagani's etc. The badge in that matter matters a lot.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #22
black_magician
Regular User

anyone know the expected cost?
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #23
666fast
Regular User

Look at the McLaren F1 everybody says it is the "best supercar in the world" but they didn't manage to sell 350 cars but only 62 cars.
That is what happens when you want a tad over $1 Million dollars for a car. I honestly think VW could have sold a lot of Nardos, but we will never know.

anyone know the expected cost?
Something like $500k