Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-29-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Default Should Renault Recover the Alpine Spirit?

Once Renault did make some agreement with Nissan, The both have a big engine(the nissan 350Z engine), a good rear wheel drive chasis capable of absorbing lots of horsepower(the 350Z, or the Skyline chasis), and although my request is a bit hypotethical(i ve no clue about the profit of the following topic)...........do people think that renault should recover the spirit of Alpine coupe cars, and get them capable of challenging the porsche 911 as before???

For instance, once Renault has the Nissan partnership, and, resources enough and experience enough to manufacturer supercars...i think that It could be a good idea, and not too crazy to recover the Alpine spirit....for example, taking the 350Z chassis, getting the 350Z tuned engine, or any current Skyline turbo engine.....on the back of the chassis(to maintain the alpine authenticity), and some shape based on the 350Z....lets see what people thing about this idea
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
BADMIHAI
Regular User

and maybe even make a laguna sport!

I thought you didn't like ricers.

That actually sounds like a good idea with the Alpine. It was one badass car, and they should bring it back.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
Regie
Regular User

IMO, Renault should recover the Alpine spirit ONLY if the car is worthy of the name. And as you said, it should have the engine at the back (like today's Clio V6).

Like the current RS Clio , with it's R8 Gordini inspired 'racing stripes'. 200 squid (pounds) for two bits of vinyl sticker just insults the Gordini name.

Today , they have the Renaultsport moniker with sporty variants such as the Clio (both 4 & 6 cylinder beasts) and to a lesser degree the Megane hatch, but the Alpine's were the cars that made me a Renaultphile.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
360modena
Regular User

For me Alpine is part of past, Alpine ruled from about 60's to 80's.
Now Renault got a mom car image (I mean everything is made to ease the mom's life just watch a best seller like scenic) and moms don't like speed and sport car mainly wild car like alpines.
Anyway, I don't think Renault sport can give a car the alpine spirit... that's sade but there's may be hope, recently I saw a very interresting Renault concept car called 'Fluence' (side and back only) And IMO if they follow this way I'll can say I love a renault
360modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Regie
Regular User

Originally Posted by 360modena
Now Renault got a mom car image (I mean everything is made to ease the mom's life just watch a best seller like scenic) and moms don't like speed and sport car mainly wild car like alpines.
As an owner of a RS Clio (Clio 172 over in Europe/UK) I have to digress. The car is so much fun to drive and is definitely not boring. I've never driven the 'Cup'/Ragnotti variants, but have heard that they are an even rawer experience!

However, I agree with you about Renault's image in the general public's eyes. They've focussed so much on safety and also make it a point to advertise the fact , that IMO they've become the new Volvo. The fact that they don't have a mass market RWD car at present, (besides the V6 Clio), just adds to the stodgy image.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
360modena
Regular User

Originally Posted by RĂ©gie
Originally Posted by 360modena
As an owner of a RS Clio (Clio 172 over in Europe/UK) I have to digress. The car is so much fun to drive and is definitely not boring. I've never driven the 'Cup'/Ragnotti variants, but have heard that they are an even rawer experience!

However, I agree with you about Renault's image in the general public's eyes. They've focussed so much on safety and also make it a point to advertise the fact , that IMO they've become the new Volvo. The fact that they don't have a mass market RWD car at present, (besides the V6 Clio), just adds to the stodgy image.
That's exactly what I meant, I was talking about renault in general
So You're right to underline fact that Clio RS is a fun car and I forgot dirving stage I had at Nogaro track with this car (and spider renault, not pretty but really cool to drive too). The car were little tuned with racing tyres and breaks... I have to say I really enjoyed drive this car.
360modena is offline   Reply With Quote