Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-25-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default compressed vs. original folder (tyring to post THE RUN)

ok, bear with me as i don't know much about this sort of thing.

i ripped a video off a dvd so i could post it here on JW. and have a couple of questions.

the original file is 3.2GB, so i right clicked it and selected 'send to compressed folder'. there are now two folders of of this video, the original and the one with the zipper on it.

1) did i actually compress the file? it still says it is 3.2GB

2) if i delete the original folder, will it cause the files in the compressed folders to not work?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

If you want to take down the volume of a ripped video, you have to use some sort of video encoding/editing tool. 3.2 GB is a hell of a big file when usually a DVD rip is in the 700 MB compressing it in a zip or similar won't take down the size, not in a noticeable way.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i tried using vidomi to re-encode it, but i can't seem to figure it out. Everytime i try to play the file back after using the program, it plays a 5minute clip in like .3 seconds

Old 09-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Sadly I can't help you, but we have plenty of video editing masters around, so somebody should pop up with some hints soon
Old 09-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well thanks anyway TT.

Ok, maybe this will help. There are two types of files in the folder. the files that open in WINdvd are IFO files and the type that don't open are VOB files.
the VOB files are considerably larger than the IFOs. can i safely delete these? or am i scewed?
Vidomi keeps giving me this message that says it didn't initialize correctly so converting them to avi files seems pointless.

remember, i'm a :n00b: when it comes to this stuff..so if i sound retarded, please go easy on me

Old 09-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

www.doom9.org has some great tutorials, and links to the best ripping tools. im quite new at the vob-->avi conversion, but im already quite used to it

what i recomend is this:
a program called 'dgmpgdec' that has a good 'quickstart' guide in it, where basically its an add on hack to 'virtual sub' to rip the video, and audio.... then to splice in the audio in *.mp3.wav format (to fool virtual sub) and keep the file size respectably low use 'wavemp3'
but first you have to rip the wave from the ac3 with 'lame' (a command line program that works great!)

also, there are bit rate calculators out there to make sure you dont have a rediulously small, or large file.
anyway, i think the tutorials will help more then i can. good luck