Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

View Poll Results: Helpful? (Vote no if you knew this stuff already)
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
DeMoN - S T F U 0 0%
354 100.00%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
DeMoN
Regular User

Default [GUIDE] BitTorrent

For all those of you who have no idea what a torrent is or how to download them, here is a guide:

BitTorrent is a client such as KaZaA and there are many versions out there that work under the same principle. The best one out there is "Azureus." Once you install this, you will be able to open the .torrent files. These files are files that hold the information to where the host is. By opening this file you will connect to everyone who is currently seeding the file you want to download.

First step is to download Azureus and install it.

The first time you run this program, you go through a setup. One of the menues in the setup asks you to choose a port to use. Instead of using the default (which is blocked by many universities and cable companies). It is known that:
Direct Connect: 411 - 413
Kazaa: 1214
eDonkey: 4662
Gnutella: 6346 - 6347
BitTorrent: 6881 - 6889
So universities and cable companies can but a ban on those ports. Fortunatelly, Azureus lets you edit this port. Pick any port number between 49152-65535. These ports will allow Azureus to connect to the trackers and dload with no ban or capped speeds.

If you are NOT getting green happy faces on Azureus, that means you have some NAT problems. This might be caused by your Firewall, or by your Router firewall. If your firewall is the built in windows one, disable it and get another (Norton or the free Zone Alarm). And if you have a router then you will have to forward ports.

I have a Linksys wireless router which was the reason NAT error occured for me. All of you with routers, you need to configure it (for Linksys, you edit your router by opening browser and going to http://192.168.1.1 and puting username and passwd, check your router's manual for info on how to enter setup on your router). If you forgot your User/Pass or if the default one is not working. Look for a RESET button on your router, press it for a while and this should reset it to default.

In there, look for "Port Range Forward" (in Linksys its under "Applications
& Gaming") You will see a list in this sort:

Port Range
Application | Start | End | Protocol | IP Address Enable

-Aplication: put BitTorrent
-Start & End: put the range of ports your Client uses. In my case, I use azureus. Azureus uses only one port which you select. For example a good port would be 14121 choose any you want (keep it lower than 17000). I just use 14121 for start and end because I only need that ONE port opened.
-Protocol: select TCP
-IP Address Enable: Your IP in the network (not the IP you have on the net), To know this just go to "View Network Connections" and right click the one you are using (Wireless if you use Wireless LAN if u use LAN) and select STATUS. Then click on the SUPPORT tab and the first IP you see is your IP address for the network. Put that number and save settings.

Restart your client (Azureus) and all should go well!

!!!IF!!! After fixing, you get the NAT error again later, it must be because you have your network give you an IP by default. Just go to the "View Network Connections" again and check to see if your LAN IP has changed. If it has, update it on your Router configuration.

GOOD LUCK

WHERE TO GET TORRENTS
www.suprnova.org (hope you have firewall antivirus and spyware before you go there)
http://www.torrentreactor.net
www.torrentbits.org
www.tvtorrents.com
Old 11-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
jamberl
Regular User

I think anyone who uses bittorrent knows this already........... but to anyone who is considering trying it, this is certainly useful info. It answers some of the most frequently asked questions you find on bittorrent forums, especially with regards to ports.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
styla21
Regular User

Man i could've used this so bad a few months ago! But i'm sure there will be a lot who will find this useful now - i learnt a few things too. Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
evoWalo
Regular User

There are torrent sites for TV, movie, music, apps, mac stuff, comics, anime, top gear and fifth gear. Still waiting for this week's Top Gear & Fifth Gear to show up.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

I learned the NAT error thing a few weeks ago. I knew about BitTorrent and all, but the fukin faces were yellow in Azureus till I figured out port forwading lol

I better not see a DeMoN - S T F U after the time it took me to write all that down
Old 11-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

Does green faces gives more speed for you Demon? I find that out a month ago, now all my faces are green, but I don't notice much diff in speed.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #7
jamberl
Regular User

This is the site I use for 5th gear and top gear:

http://gear.viper007bond.com/

Anyone know of any others?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 AM   #8
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by jamberl

torrentbits.org i think does have them but the problem is only 100,000 users are allowed any given time. So you have to wait until someone gets banned to get a chance to join.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 AM   #9
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Does green faces gives more speed for you Demon? I find that out a month ago, now all my faces are green, but I don't notice much diff in speed.
It doesnt give you that much advantage in speed, but that allows other people to connect to you. Its more of a "even things up" thing.

You se the problem is that only those with proper port forwarding setup work as hosts. If everyone currently downloading a file has a yellow face, someone just hopping on wouldnt be able to connect. So basically if you do setup the port forwarding and you then hop to that torrent, other people would connect first to you and THEN find the rest of the people.

Getting green faces doesnt make you download faster, it makes it possible for the idea of torrents (sharing) work. The more people using port forwarding, the better it is to use torrents. Sometimes, youll see that there are 33 peers, but 0 seeds. That means 33 people on yello faces and 0 on green, hence, you download at 0kb per sec.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:46 AM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
It doesnt give you that much advantage in speed, but that allows other people to connect to you. Its more of a "even things up" thing.

You se the problem is that only those with proper port forwarding setup work as hosts. If everyone currently downloading a file has a yellow face, someone just hopping on wouldnt be able to connect. So basically if you do setup the port forwarding and you then hop to that torrent, other people would connect first to you and THEN find the rest of the people.

Getting green faces doesnt make you download faster, it makes it possible for the idea of torrents (sharing) work. The more people using port forwarding, the better it is to use torrents. Sometimes, youll see that there are 33 peers, but 0 seeds. That means 33 people on yello faces and 0 on green, hence, you download at 0kb per sec.
THat's interesting tho, coz even when I was having yellow faces back then I am uploading around 10~15KB in average. So that gotta means someone is getting something rite?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #11
stracing
Regular User

i knew about port forwarding but didn't know azureus allows you to change ports.

i've been dl files with like 50 seeds and coupla hundred downloaders and i only get like 10kb/s max. so i thought my isp has capped speed.

i've gotta get this...prolly be my solution
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
DeMoN
Regular User

THat's interesting tho, coz even when I was having yellow faces back then I am uploading around 10~15KB in average. So that gotta means someone is getting something rite?
When you had yellow faces and were still uploading, it meant that someone else who had his ports forwarded was on too.

When a green faced person is seeding, he is connected to first by the people just hopping on. Once the new people connect to the green faced d00d, then they can connect to the yellow faces ONLY because they get the info from the Green Faced doods. If there were NO greens, and a new person hopped in, he wouldnt be able to connect to anyone.

Encouraging people to forfward ports to have green faces makes BitTorrent survive. If people dont forward ports, then more and more leeachers wll try to get files and les an less Hosters will exist.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
Anonymous

Originally Posted by jamberl

Not exacltly the most popular site to post on JW
Old 11-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #14
DeMoN
Regular User

^ lolol thats right! We hate them!

btw - you can get all simpsons episodes on torrents

go http://robotolabs.cjb.net and click on DIRECT at the top. (Which will take you http://robotolabs.dyndns.org/torrents.html to that address)
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
abbor
Regular User

Yeah.. I love robotlabs...!!!

I know how to get to my modemsetup demon, just don't see any settings which involves ports.. thanks for making the manual anyways..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote