Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-26-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
moan786
Regular User

Default Former WRC Champ Richard Burns Dies :'(

damn, im totally rocked by this news, only 34 too this is so unexpected, considering there was talk of him coming back not too long ago, one of the best raw talented wrc drivers of the modern era has passed , i met Rich at an industry sponsored track day in 2000 and had the priviledge of being driven around at what seemed like warp speeds at a very wet cadwell park, and was compounded by his finesse at the wheel and impeccable car control. this is a real blow to motorsport, may we all remember him for his performances in the car and statesman like persona out of the car.

RIP Richard Burns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ly/4472642.stm
moan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

DAMN! :x First Mr. Miyagi, now Richard Burns. This is a sad day

RIP Richard

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

OMFG!!!!!!!
this is terrible news to goto sleep by

Rest In Peace, Greatest WRC driver of the 90's my condolences to his family and friends

Shit
what happened ???
Edit:
He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent surgery in April.
I had no idea it was so serious!

We will Miss him, and all he brought to morotrsport..... Edit 2:

so people know how amazing this man is here is his bio from his official site... so that is who i'm giving credit to... this guy was truly amazing behind the wheel of anything he drove, being an avid Rally fan, i still cant believe he is dead... MAY HIS SPIRIT LIVE ON
Richard Burns’ status as one of Britain’s top rally stars has been an extraordinary accomplishment. After rapidly gaining success on domestic turf, Richard turned to the international stage in 1994 where he concentrated on gaining valuable experience. He was rewarded in 1998 with a full WRC programme with Mitsubishi resulting in a move to Subaru in 1999. Having been runner-up that year and the following, his determination finally paid off when he was crowned World Rally Champion in 2001.

In 2002, the following year, Richard joined the Peugeot team but unfortunately was unable to retain his World Championship title. Continuing to drive for Peugeot in 2003 saw Richard using the skills he is renowned for – speed consistency, concentration and driving acumen.

Let’s start with the facts: Richard Burns was born in Reading on the 17th January, 1971. His earliest recollection of four wheels was at the tender age of eight, when his father, Alex allowed Richard behind the wheel of an old Triumph 2000 in a field near their home. Despite not being able to see over the wheel, Richard enjoyed the experience and would pester his Dad to allow him to repeat the game often. The game became a little more serious when Richard, aged eleven, joined an under seventeen's car club.

These early experiences developed into an interest for Richard; they proved to be invaluable as his early fascination turned to ambition.

In recognition of Richard's early displays behind the wheel, Alex decided to take Richard to a Welsh rally driving school where Richard was assessed. Two hours later and with a suitably impressed instructor/co-driver, Richard emerged stating that he wanted to be a rally driver. He was just fifteen.

By 1989, Richard had entered and been successful enough in minor domestic events to have caught the eye of fellow driver, David Williams, who was to become Richard's mentor and great personal friend. To this day, David is behind most of Richard's career decisions.

In the following year, David bought Richard a Peugeot 205 and entered him into the national 205GTI challenge, a proving ground for young talent. It was an opportunity he was not about to spurn and with regular wins and the kind of consistency that is still his trademark, Richard won the series. With the realisation of Richard’s promise, David asked Richard to deputise for him in a well financed Group N Subaru Legacy in which David planned to use himself, in the Mintex National series. When Richard came second in the event (the winner was not entered into the series championship), David made the chivalrous decision to run the car for Richard for the remainder of the series. His faith in Richard was duly rewarded as he went on to win the Championship.

The rest is history. Richard joined the crack Prodrive Subaru squad alongside Alistair McRae becoming the youngest winner of the British Championship in 1993. Two learning years which included entry to the occasional full World Championship netted Richard second in the Asia Pacific Championship. This performance plus Richard's uncertainty about his future with Prodrive culminated in Mitsubishi Ralliart signing the young Englishman for an initial rookie year in selected world events. It was in this year that Richard finished second in the Safari Rally. 1998 heralded Richard's big break - on the grandest stage of them all - a full WRC assault partnering World Champion Tommi Makinen in the Mitsubishi Charisma GT (Evolution V).

Richard enjoyed a successful 1999 in his first full season with the Subaru team driving the WRC Impreza. The strength of this new combination of driver and manufacturer resulted in Richard challenging for the Championship, eventually coming second overall in the World Rally Championship Driver standings with victories in Greece, Australia and Britain. 2000 brought further success for Richard as he once again mounted a serious attack on the Championship. His early season form meant he made history once again, becoming the first Englishman to ever lead the WRC and wins in Portugal, Kenya and Argentina marked him out as favourite for the title. Disappointingly, Burns was narrowly beaten to overall glory by Finland's Marcus Gronholm driving for Peugeot; the outcome of the Championship taken to the final round - the Rally of Great Britain. Despite Richard winning the event for the third successive time it was not enough to beat Gronholm.

The start of Richard's 2001 campaign was in complete contrast to how the season was to end - a mere three points from the first four rounds. Second place behind rival Colin McRae in Argentina was the result Richard needed to move his challenge up a gear. The same podium placing beckoned in the next round in Cyprus and Richard was beginning to pick up valuable points. Second again in Finland followed by victory in New Zealand elevated Richard into the title fight whilst other contenders wasted valuable opportunities. Second place in the penultimate round in Australia guaranteed Richard a shot at the title on home soil in the Network Q Rally of Great Britain. The resulting retirements by Colin McRae and Tommi Makinen ensured that Richard merely had to finish in the points, but he persisted to ensure a podium place, third, and the 2001 World Rally Championship crown. Richard Burns was now the first Englishman ever, to have won the title.

2002 saw Richard driving for his new team, Peugeot in the Peugeot Sport 206. Aiming to retain his World Championship crown, the first three rounds proved challenging as Richard acclimatised himself with the car. As proof of his satisfaction with the modifications made to the car’s setup, Richard performed well in the Rally Catalunya; he secured a creditable second place, elevating him to third place overall in the Drivers’ Championship. In the next round, in Cyprus, Richard repeated his second place podium position on a notoriously challenging circuit.

Going into the Rally of Argentina, Richard was third place in the WRC standings. Controversy then ensued with Richard inheriting his team-mate Marcus Gronholm’s victory after a rule infringement only to have this revoked due to an underweight flywheel. Rounds seven and eight (the Acropolis and Safari rallies respectively) held disappointment as Richard was forced to retire from both due to suspension failure.

Determined to reverse this run of bad luck, the next three rounds produced better results with second places in both Finland and Germany. This was followed by a fourth place in the Sanremo rally and despite being twenty three points behind Gronholm in the overall Drivers’ Championship, Richard was confident going into the next round in New Zealand, having won the rally the previous year. A repeat performance looked certain but disaster struck as the car crashed and rolled as Richard led the race. This enabled Marcus Gronholm to secure the Drivers’ Championship. With Richard forced to retire in both rounds thirteen and fourteen, he ended his 2003 season on a disappointing note leaving him fifth overall in the Drivers’ placings.

Richard began his 2003 battle for the World Championship in strong contention. A third place in the second round in Sweden gave him his best result there which he consolidated with second position in Turkey – a new arrival to the series having achieved WRC status. A sublime race in New Zealand gave Richard his third successive podium finish and a six-point lead over his nearest contender, his team-mate Marcus Gronholm. He capitalised on this success in the fifth round in Argentina (third place) and subsequently at the Acropolis Rally (fourth place). The latter rally put his driving skills to the ultimate test, having to complete nine stages without a second gear (having already utilised the spare gearbox on a previous stage). Unfortunately, round seven in Cyprus was not so forgiving and Richard was forced to retire for the first time in the season through mechanical failure.

Rallye Deutschland saw Richard win a well-deserved third place on a German circuit that is renowned for its unpredictability and despite his efforts being hampered by poor weather Richard maintained a four point lead in the overall Drivers’ Championship. In Finland, he earned third place on the podium and had looked close to leading with a display of fast yet controlled driving. Due to a broken wheel bearing he lost vital time in the final two stages.

In August, it was announced that Richard had signed a two-year contract with Subaru and stated that he was “delighted to be returning to Subaru” with his co-driver, Robert Reid. The pair had previously enjoyed success with the team whom Richard had collected eight of his ten WRC victories plus the 2001 FIA Drivers' title.

In Australia, Richard further consolidated his lead in the Drivers’ Championship by earning third place and taking him to fifty five points – seven points ahead of both Peter Solberg and Carlos Sainz who were both tied in second place. By the end of this tenth round, Richard had now led the Championship since the third round in Turkey and was proving to be a formidable and unyielding opponent.

The three asphalt rallies in October, in Italy, Corsica and Spain proved challenging with the latter forcing the second retirement of the season.

On reflection and looking back on a season of such superlative performance, it’s no wonder that Richard has received such respect within the upper echelons of the rallying fraternity. His ability to lead the World Championship for nine of the fourteen rounds is an indication of his driving prowess and consummate skill when we consider the personal challenge he now faces.
http://www.richard-burns.co.uk/
Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
Zot09
Regular User

Rest In Peace Richard Burns.

http://www.extreme-machines.nl/Filmpjes/WRC/burns-1.mpg
http://www.extreme-machines.nl/Filmpjes/WRC/burns-2.mpg
http://downloads.extreme-machines.nl...Corsica_99.mpg
Old 11-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Dang since there were no more news lately I was indeed wondering if his recovery was as good as first suggested

So sad to know he didn't make it.!

RIP Richard
Old 11-26-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
frozzu
Regular User

In Finland in a rally show on tv they said maybe half a year ago (long time ago anyway) that Burns was almost blind and he's recovery didn't look too good. So now it's finally happened. RIP Richard Burns
frozzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
Kiran
Regular User

Damn, that's sad news. I remember he was in one of the Clarkson video's around 1997 or something. He seemed like a real nice guy. And no doubt that he was a superb driver.

RIP
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #8
komotar
Regular User

Aw man.

I knew about the tumor, but it still came as a shock to me.

I loved him as a driver. Allthough I have sometimes heard things about him. You know, that he can be difficult. But never the less, he was one of the best drivers of the 90's.

RIP Richard Burns :cry:

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
dingo
Regular User

I was really shocked when I read the title, and like TT got a little worried that we hadn't heard any news on him lately.

RIP.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #10
saadie
Regular User

RIP :cry:
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
jon_s
Regular User

I don't have time to type a fitting tribute, so I shall leave that to others just now. However, I was in a state of shock this morning when i heard the news. A sad, sad day. The loss of a true champion.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
hamlet
Regular User

really bad news to start the WE!! This was a cool guy... very sad! :cry:

RIP
Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 AM   #13
Gilles27
Regular User

I am so shocked that doesn´t happen to me anything to say. Simply it´s very sad when there dies one of these heroes who I admire and especially being still so young. It´s a shame that was not returning to raise head since he had he first symthoms. I still remeber his childish face when reach his first victory in the WRC in New Zealand ´96. Rest in peace.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:13 AM   #14
st-anger
Regular User

......what an enourmous loss for both motorsport and us enthusiasts

may our prayers go out to his family and frieds...............

God Speed Rich
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #15
No.1
Regular User

terrible loss... and so young too

RIP Richard