Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
kramerman
Regular User

Default Starting and Switching off a car

Hi,

I know this isn't a problem in the word itself, but I think most of the knowledgable people about cars are in this area so might be able to offer more help.

What I'm asking is regarding the starting of cars, and the switching off of cars. I have heard many stories/myths/reports etc about how one should start and switchoff a car.

Some say that you should start a car, and drive off immedietaly because that is the fastest way to warm up the engine. Of course stick to low revs, but this is also fuel efficient because you can start moving already.

The other group would say that you have to start a car, and let the engine warm up for a while before moving off. This ensures the engine is well-lubricated before moving. However, still at low revs till engine reaches normal operating temperature.

On switching off, some say you should just park and turn off the engine straight away. This reduces unnecessary wear and tear, and keeps the engine oil on the moving parts, and also reduces fuel consumption. This group also says that if you leave the engine running, it lets the oil drain to the bottom of the engine rather than staying on the vital components.

The other group has the stand that you should let the engine cool down a little bit, rather than an immediete cool-off which might cause heat shrinkage problems. (Note: I understand that turbos have to be cooled, but this is in respect to a non-turbo car. Also, I stay in a climate where the temps are usually above 20 degrees C, so no harm of extreme temp change in winter conditions etc.)

Thanks in advance!
kramerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
Onix
Regular User

if you have a reasonably modern car, then just going a bit easy on the revs until it warms up and then turning it off when you get to your destination should be fine

even at idle speeds an engine is pumping a lot of oil around the engine, so those saying you need to turn it off or leave it running for reasons of where the oil goes are talking crap, modern ohc engines generally have the cams themselves sitting in a bath of oil which never totally drains (this is partly why straight after you do an oil change the oil is dirty again, unless you removed the cam cover/s and syphoned that oil out)

maybe if you just thrashed the hell out of your car and its seriuosly hot(radiator fan on) when you stop it could be a good idea to let it idle until the fan cuts out, but otherwise leaving it running at idle will probably increase the temperatue rather than cool it

the only cars you need to leave running to cool are turbo'd ones, where switching off the engine as soon as you stop will cause the oil in the turbo bearings to carbonise and that will clog the oilways in the turbo and eventually kill it, as they have a supply of oil fed from the engine oil pump, stopping this oil circulation when the turbo is very hot is BAD.
Onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:45 PM   #3
kramerman
Regular User

Thanks Dan, I think that was a pretty good explanation. I forgot the part about letting the radiator fan cut out, but that was another tip given to me too. Now at least i'll feel more at ease doing what i'm doing!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
asthenia
Regular User

I start driving as soon as there's oil pressure (which is as soon as the engine fires up), and I kill the ignition before the car's even come to a complete stop. Never had a problem, and the 31-year old engine cranks up right away, every time.

I think the important thing is not to hammer it until your oil temperature goes up.
asthenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Hehe reading asthenia's post I realised that sometimes, ppl not giving a fuck about their cars, can do 300'000 km w/o even servicing them, while sometimes ppl caring about it like if it was a child, they have lot of problems (it was my case with my previous car just to let you know LOL)...
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 AM   #6
kramerman
Regular User

Heh, when you say that it sorta reminds me of people who smoke their whole life and don't have problems, and then some dude who smokes for a short while, stops, and then gets some problems...

The irony of life I would say....
Old 12-19-2003, 02:57 AM   #7
mhn3773
Regular User

the only time i ever think about turning the car off or on is when i drive my dads car...i usually just wait till the temp guage is in the middle b4 i do anything stupid lol

but when i goto stop it runs itself for about another 1-2mins so id say if u were driving the car really REALLY hard then let it idle b4 u turn it off shouldnt be to much to worry about

ah by runs itself i mean after i pull the key out and lock teh doors the engine will continue to idle untill its satisfied then itl shut off
mhn3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #8
kramerman
Regular User

That probably means that your dads car has a turbo timer (or something similar) that is linked to the temperature of somewhere (?) so it runs till it's satisfied like you said...

Does your dad drive a turbo car?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
mhn3773
Regular User

not a turbo but it is a timer and it is prety nifty

b4 i had to sit inside the car and wait for 2 mins b4 i could get out lol

my dad also said that starting ur car and just driving away can be different to the engine depending on the oil u use..like some has to heat up more to become thiner so that could hurt then engine if u take off down the street and the oil is still to think to pump properly..this is a drastick thing..like 1 out of every 1000 cars will have problems beucase of not being warmed up b4 u drive off..now every car will break if u dont warm it up and procede to drive on the redline..it will die
Old 12-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #10
kramerman
Regular User

Interesting comment about how you have to wait for the oil to warm up before moving off. I think that could occur in cold countries where the oil is less viscous (sp?) because of the cold, but where I am, it's kinda same all year round, and the oil we use is rated normally from like 5-40 degrees celsius, so this probably isn't too much of a problem.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:23 AM   #11
mhn3773
Regular User

yah in cali i dont think it hardly gets to the point where ud need to worry about that kind of stuff
Old 12-21-2003, 02:42 AM   #12
Epic2112
Regular User

If you're really trying to take good care of the car, what you need to consider when warming it up is not only the temp of the engine, but also the temp of the drivetrain. The transmission, differential, etc. also need to be warm to lubricate properly. I really baby my M3, and what I usually do with it is let it run idling for 10 minutes or so, then I know that the engine is reasonably warm and then I start driving. With just the engine idleing the drivtrain doesn't get warm at all, so for the next ten minutes I don't exceed about 35 M.P.H. (2nd or 3rd gear only), and also SHIFT SLOWLY! You'll be able to feel it become easier to shift as teh transmission warms up.

Of course, I'm absuredly anal retentive about that car. You don't need to do things like that, but it can't hurt. Just keep the drivetrain in mind and don't go speeding off after letting the car idle for twety minutes.
1989 Porsche 951 Leinengrau Metallic - 86 Engine, K27/6, Lindsey Stage 2 MAF, Seimens 55lb injectors, TiAL 38mm, LBE, Nickerson Engineering Custom Chip, 3 bar FPR, SPEC Stage II Clutch, Fabspeed SS 3" Exhaust, 33/5 Bias Valve, Uego WBO2, VDO EGT, KLA Strut Brace, Loose nut behind the wheel.

1990 BMW M3 Sterlingsilber Metallic - Dinan Chips, GSPerformance Magnecor Wires, Cross-Drilled Rotors, Winged Frogs, Other stuff.

1983 Honda Accord - Now we're talkin' style!
Epic2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
kramerman
Regular User

Ummmm.. M3 sounds nice.. I definately don't trash my car once I start it, just wondering if there's a real benefit in letting the engine warm up Thanks for your input!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #14
blah
Regular User

thi is why the M5 lets you know when its ok to go all out.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #15
Epic2112
Regular User

Yep, the new M3 does that too I think. Still I'd rather have the info directly and decide when it's ok to go all out. My M3 has a temp gauge for water temp and one for oil temp, and my Porsche has one for water temp and oil pressure. using the input from the combined gauges lets you get a much better idea of what's going on in there than just the one water temp gauge that most cars have.
1989 Porsche 951 Leinengrau Metallic - 86 Engine, K27/6, Lindsey Stage 2 MAF, Seimens 55lb injectors, TiAL 38mm, LBE, Nickerson Engineering Custom Chip, 3 bar FPR, SPEC Stage II Clutch, Fabspeed SS 3" Exhaust, 33/5 Bias Valve, Uego WBO2, VDO EGT, KLA Strut Brace, Loose nut behind the wheel.

1990 BMW M3 Sterlingsilber Metallic - Dinan Chips, GSPerformance Magnecor Wires, Cross-Drilled Rotors, Winged Frogs, Other stuff.

1983 Honda Accord - Now we're talkin' style!
Epic2112 is offline   Reply With Quote