Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
vexor
Regular User

Default Recall of most Mazda RX-8's

Mazda will recall all 2004, 2005, and many 2006 model year RX-8 sports cars to address an issue with the vehicle's unique rotary engine, according to trade publication Automotive News. The automaker is expected to officially announced the voluntary recall some time this week. Many engines will need to be replaced, according to the report. The move comes after the Japanese automaker came under fire from consumers over a number of serious problems with the engine. The issue involves damage to the catalyst resulting from oil leaks. Any engine that does not pass a vacuum test must be replaced.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Vansquish
Regular User

Default Re: Recall of most Mazda RX-8's

Originally Posted by vexor

Mazda will recall all 2004, 2005, and many 2006 model year RX-8 sports cars to address an issue with the vehicle's unique rotary engine, according to trade publication Automotive News. The automaker is expected to officially announced the voluntary recall some time this week. Many engines will need to be replaced, according to the report. The move comes after the Japanese automaker came under fire from consumers over a number of serious problems with the engine. The issue involves damage to the catalyst resulting from oil leaks. Any engine that does not pass a vacuum test must be replaced.
Well I'm not sure if anybody remembers this, but last year, when I was running the Black RX8, I had that exact problem. The catalyst went bad, the engine management system restricted performance so as to improve emissions since the Cat wasn't functioning properly, and we had to have a new Cat installed. Shortly before we had to turn the car in, the same problem reared its ugly head yet again. It's definitely something that Mazda needs to fix, the car certainly wasn't undriveable, it just wasn't performing as it should environmentally, nor in terms of speed.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
That's gotta suck.

I've always wondered tho how these recalls take palce, especially if you've bought your car second hand? You just take it to the dealer or what?
You get a letter in the mail and it will tell you to take it to the dealer, not sure if they have a specific dealerships or not, guess it depends on the problem/car company. My mom's Mercedes was recalled for the brakes and she just took it to the dealer as per the letter, not sure about a whole engine.

I dont get rotaries. People always tell me how great they are, yet I never see any proof of that. Almost all major car companies, at one point or another, have had a go with the design but few ever try to do anything with it, must be a reason, right? Ive seen numerous drag cars with rotaries fail to meet expectations or even fail before they run. Ill stick with pistons for the time being.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
ViperASR
Regular User

Dang, I have been looking for a new car in the next few years and I was thinking about a second-hand RX8. Maybe not anymore...

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Recalls such as this are handled per VIN. In large cases such as this, the recall will be handled in batches. oldest cars first, generally. When the car gets brought into the dealer, they run the VIN through Mazda's database. Regardless of when the customer gets the letter, especially if the car was bought second hand. Most people probably won't take it in until the check engine light pops on.

i have a feeling that in 10 years, the engines that pass the test the first time around will start failing. This has happened with BMW's M60/1 V8. Some E32 and E34s are still out there with the NikaSil engine blocks. Now though, the customers have to pay the labor cost, but BMW pays for the engine.

Viper, once the recall is completed, you won't have to worry about the problem.

I've been wondering wether Mazda had solved the problem of the rotor tips....guess i know

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

I guess their much vaunted rotary engine has fallen back to earth...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

It failed when Wankel put it out, it fizzled when Mazda first used it, and now it's stumbling 3rd time around.

I really don't get why they keep using it

Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
TNT
Regular User

^^^ such a good idea they wont let it go?......ooooo a diesel wankel........i woner what that would sound like....
Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
^^^ such a good idea they wont let it go?......ooooo a diesel wankel........i woner what that would sound like....
they're having enough trouble keeping the tips intact on the gas engines! I can't imagine what would happen under the pressures reguired for a diesel

Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

One would have thought they finally find a way to make a reliable wankel engine...but I guess not yet.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #11
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by TNT
they're having enough trouble keeping the tips intact on the gas engines! I can't imagine what would happen under the pressures reguired for a diesel
As I recall the subject has been broached before, and the idea was in fact put into practice in a diesel Wankel engine produced by Rolls Royce in the late 60's and early 70's.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^ interesting. There must have been some flaws though.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
PaulGT2164
Regular User

hrmm i have owned several rotary powered cars (i have one now - 1990 rx7) and my father has owned several rx3s and rotary trucks

my previous 7 went well past the 170k mark, no difficulties at all when i sold it, and the next owner had it for another 40 or 50 thousand, when he sold it!

my dad had many that went well beyond the 150k mile mark without a single hiccup.

granted rotaries are quirky, and they are different, but give the relatively small production numbers compared to piston engines, and the limited real world testing they have seen (as far as different configurations and sales numbers) its not suprising to see them as inferior engines.

i firmly believe that if more rotaries were produced, for longer, and were more common, they would be better engines, and they would not have the cloud of misinformation about their reliabilty hanging over them

they have been used in the aviation world for quite some time, and proved themselves there!

i love them, and never have had any probs outta them!

sucks about the recall tho, but thats not really alot of cars....compared to some other recalls by other manufacturers
Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
rave426
Regular User

Damn its having the same problem it had year ago with the RX-7. Guess time and technology hasnt helped this engine any.

Its way too torque-less anyway........